The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
davepl

ARG! Factory tank carpet with copper/brass rivets?

I am restoring a 1970 GMC Sierra Grande that is equipped with factory buckets. The tank carpet with buckets has a number of brass/copper oval rivets that allow it to screw into the body.

Like an idiot, I didn't stop to think this might be hard to replace, and did not keep the original.

Many reproductions I’ve seen lack this, and clip to the tank in some manner. I don’t know if the rivets were only for bucket seat trucks, but that’s what I’m looking for. Anyone know if (a) that's specific to the bucket seat trucks and (b) if anyone makes a proper reproduction?

Thanks!
Dave
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
71 super

Re: ARG! Factory tank carpet with copper/brass rivets?

They were not rivets, but retainers. They are not reproduced to my knowledge by anyone unless it was used by other vehicles in some capacity, and they are like hen's teeth to find.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
FirstOwner69

Way back in the early 70s when the oval "retainers" in my 69 were tearing out of the carpet and the carpet was starting to sag at the top, I merely lifted the carpet up to expose the screws, removed the screws, placed a yardstick horizontally against the back of the carpet, inserted the screws through the yardstick and back of the carpet, and folded the carpet back down hiding the yardstick. Looked better than new and has remained that way all these years. The corner areas are still retained as original. For the corners you could possibly use an aluminum yardstick or other thin aluminum, cut it to length and bend it to conform to the sheet metal. No one but you will ever know. Here's the best picture I have from a couple years ago.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
They were not rivets, but retainers. They are not reproduced to my knowledge by anyone unless it was used by other vehicles in some capacity, and they are like hen's teeth to find.
& and again , heres a ID picture of them so someone can offer them up to ya. Mel.
Attached Images

Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
davepl

Not to worry, I took a detailed reference photo before THROWING THEM AWAY. (Below) Oh well.

I'll try to fab up an aluminum retainer strip that fits the profile of the cab. If I can do it well enough and convince myself that its somewhere that no one can see, and works better than original, that'll be enough to humor me. But still, I have a rule "don't throw it out until you have a replacement on hand because reproduction parts suck". But the carpet was old and smelly, and at that fleeting moment I could think of no reason to retain old ratty carpet. Sigh.
Attached Images

davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
FirstOwner69

To expand on my post above and in reference to your picture... I placed the yardstick directly over the retainers (not really necessary) and inserted the screws through the yardstick, retainers and carpet. Gave the carpet a nice, firm rolled edge.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #7
stomper

I just did the aluminum strip thing to my original decomposing tank carpet. Still has those retainers on it but you can't see 'em anyway. Will get me by until I get new tank carpet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2012, 04:39 AM   #8
MikeyMan

You could go to your local home improvement store and check out the carpet transition strips. You know, the thingys that trim between carpeting/wood/tile flooring. They come in assorted lenghts, wood or metal, and in various finishes.
I plan on using an aluminum one to screw down and trim the carpet remnant for the floor of my daily driver.
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote