The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #76
Gromit

Re: Stolen....

Oops, I gave link to Oregon Cameras; you're in Washington State - here is that link

http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/cameras/

Also, I looked at Google Street view of 348th and 9th and I think I am seeing two video cameras on the traffic signal poles at that intersection - one pointing straight at the entrance to the park and ride, and one pointing up 348th.

I know there are devices that trigger the signal for emergency vehicles - but I think those are smaller - these really do look like cameras but maybe somebody here knows..
Attached Images

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:38 PM   #77
Mrturner1

If one was motivated enough, video feed from the cameras in the area could be had. I really think that's gonna be the difference between finding it or not
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:42 AM   #78
davepl

How tragic would it be to add the video of the guy(s) driving it away? Not sure what you'd learn except "Yep, it got stolen". Maybe which way it went, I guess. How many people. But not a lot...
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:13 PM   #79
Oregon 1967 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
How tragic would it be to add the video of the guy(s) driving it away? Not sure what you'd learn except "Yep, it got stolen". Maybe which way it went, I guess. How many people. But not a lot...
Definitely be tragic if he recognized the person and it's a friend or ex-friend I should say.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #80
jjzepplin

My high school buddy owned my truck in high school. He caught his cousin trying to steal it. He shot a .40 cal right through the front windshield and blew out the back. When I finally acquired the truck it still had the hole in the windshield. He called his truck "OLD YELLER". He did not want to hit Kevin, Just scare the shart out of him. He stopped the truck and exited. I should have taken a pic before fixing it but the People at the DMV might have had something to say about it when I registered it in my name. We have a pact. I cannot sell it unless I give him first SHOT.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #81
Clavo106

Iv seen a gold truck like that in town but its some one daily driver and lot cheaper condition.. BUT less then two weeks ago i drive to the gym im my same rout here in town and surprise that there was a nice like gold truck here in town I've seen most of them but it looked a lot lot this one. If I c it again ill take a photo.. hope to not get your hopes up but yakima bad for this stuff..
Clavo106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:23 PM   #82
Gromit

Quote:
"Not sure what you'd learn except "Yep, it got stolen". Maybe which way it went, I guess."

However if it was put on a flatbed or tow truck we might have video of that vehicle to track.. Also would be nice to know it was NOT a tow truck or flatbed and that the truck was instead driven. Also might help in learning about the car the dirt-bag thief used to get to the park and ride in the first place. The camera might pick that vehicle up as well.

And once police have a starting location, driving direction and a time I believe they are capable of tracing the vehicle through the multiple cameras or with their automated plate reader data.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:45 PM   #83
StoningtonQB

I know this isn't going to get your truck back, but I am going to share something with the rest of you...

In addition to my C/10 I own (and have owned) my fair share of Hondas. I live in CT (in the Tri-State area), and I can tell you that in spite of whatever you might think, this is one of the WORST areas for theft (for Hondas especially). Almost all of the "enthusiasts" are lowlife thieves of the highest level. I didn't want to become a victim myself, so I wised up and learned how to track my vehicle.

You may think that tracking your vehicle is expensive, but I will tell you right now that it can be done for free. I'm not going to give away all of my secrets, but I have a cell phone or two (or three or four) in random hidden places of whichever vehicle I'm driving that day, running on Freedompop (FREE CELL PHONE SERVICE BY THE WAY) and using a free app called Instamapper (you can also use AccuTracking for $6 / 3 months). Using these apps, I can not only track in real time but I can also draw a geofence in Google Maps, so if the vehicle leaves the area, I am instantly notified via a text message. I can then log in to my profile and track in real time, so that I can hunt down the thief. If you're feeling desperate, you can call it in to 911 and tell them you're pursuing the thief and perhaps they will send a trooper out.

One day, when I was still in college, I was tracking the vehicle from a PC when my classmate noticed what I was doing and asked questions. When I explained to him what it was, he just laughed at me. I saw he had a picture of his car as his desktop wallpaper. I said, "That your car?" to which he replied, "It was. But it got stolen." So I said, "And you're laughing AT ME? Maybe if you were doing this, you would still have your car."

A friend of mine took my advice and one day his car got stolen. He logged in to his account and got the exact location. Not only were the thieves caught redhanded in the act (they were in the process of stripping the car), but the location history had recorded everywhere they stopped along the way, implicating 3 accomplices that were not at the scene when police arrived. On top of getting his car back, the thieves were arrested with other stolen cars in their possession and it ended up making the news.

I know most of you will not read this, but should the worst ever happen to me, I know that I will have a much better chance of recovering my vehicle than the rest of you will!
StoningtonQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #84
GR8-68

That is a very good idea, thanks for sharing that info

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #85
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoningtonQB View Post
I know this isn't going to get your truck back, but I am going to share something with the rest of you...

In addition to my C/10 I own (and have owned) my fair share of Hondas. I live in CT (in the Tri-State area), and I can tell you that in spite of whatever you might think, this is one of the WORST areas for theft (for Hondas especially). Almost all of the "enthusiasts" are lowlife thieves of the highest level. I didn't want to become a victim myself, so I wised up and learned how to track my vehicle.

You may think that tracking your vehicle is expensive, but I will tell you right now that it can be done for free. I'm not going to give away all of my secrets, but I have a cell phone or two (or three or four) in random hidden places of whichever vehicle I'm driving that day, running on Freedompop (FREE CELL PHONE SERVICE BY THE WAY) and using a free app called Instamapper (you can also use AccuTracking for $6 / 3 months). Using these apps, I can not only track in real time but I can also draw a geofence in Google Maps, so if the vehicle leaves the area, I am instantly notified via a text message. I can then log in to my profile and track in real time, so that I can hunt down the thief. If you're feeling desperate, you can call it in to 911 and tell them you're pursuing the thief and perhaps they will send a trooper out.

One day, when I was still in college, I was tracking the vehicle from a PC when my classmate noticed what I was doing and asked questions. When I explained to him what it was, he just laughed at me. I saw he had a picture of his car as his desktop wallpaper. I said, "That your car?" to which he replied, "It was. But it got stolen." So I said, "And you're laughing AT ME? Maybe if you were doing this, you would still have your car."

A friend of mine took my advice and one day his car got stolen. He logged in to his account and got the exact location. Not only were the thieves caught redhanded in the act (they were in the process of stripping the car), but the location history had recorded everywhere they stopped along the way, implicating 3 accomplices that were not at the scene when police arrived. On top of getting his car back, the thieves were arrested with other stolen cars in their possession and it ended up making the news.

I know most of you will not read this, but should the worst ever happen to me, I know that I will have a much better chance of recovering my vehicle than the rest of you will!
sounds like it would work fine but I only have 1 smart phone

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:51 PM   #86
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
Oops, I gave link to Oregon Cameras; you're in Washington State - here is that link

http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/cameras/

Also, I looked at Google Street view of 348th and 9th and I think I am seeing two video cameras on the traffic signal poles at that intersection - one pointing straight at the entrance to the park and ride, and one pointing up 348th.

I know there are devices that trigger the signal for emergency vehicles - but I think those are smaller - these really do look like cameras but maybe somebody here knows..
in my town those cameras are nothing more than traffic light trippers, no video from them. the little black thing in the right pic is a signal pre-empter , it picks up a strobe signal from the front of a fire truck, ambulance or cop car from a distance away any changes the light so traffic will get moving to assist the emergency vehicle thru the intersection

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:21 AM   #87
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon 1967 GMC View Post
Definitely be tragic if he recognized the person and it's a friend or ex-friend I should say.
I'd call it sheer luck. Kill two birds with one stone.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:42 AM   #88
Mrturner1

Quote:
Not sure how to read this, it's like you're defending urself in an argument or something? But nobody is arguing with you lol nice idea though, I think there are ACTUAL gps tracking devices you can get for very cheap, and sync them to your phone and then you don't have to have a couple (or 3 or 4) phone layin around.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:03 AM   #89
In The Ten Ring

Quote:

I read it and thank you! I hate smart phones and apps, but I might have to overcome that.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:07 AM   #90
dazza

Quote:
running on Freedompop (FREE CELL PHONE SERVICE BY THE WAY) and using a free app called Instamapper (you can also use AccuTracking for $6 / 3 months).
Thanks for this, I tested this before restoring my truck but through a different service and they are no longer around. I've been looking for another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrturner1 View Post
I think there are ACTUAL gps tracking devices you can get for very cheap, and sync them to your phone and then you don't have to have a couple (or 3 or 4) phone layin around.
Not saying you're wrong, and I haven't checked recently, but I don't recall any decent ones that were very cheap. Cheap or not, the maybe good to have in addition to any security system.
As for the multiple phones, this type of service can be used on older, very cheap phones and if I'm reading it right, he is thinking/doing what I am planning as well, which is to hide a few of these phones deep within my truck innards (hardwired to the battery) in an attempt for redundancy should a thief locate one of them. Backup, backup, backup...
'72 K10 SWB, 350, sm465/np205
---- ----
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:26 AM   #91
GR8-68

That is why they have gps tracker now that detect movement and come on, you can literally follow its direct path and record each stop it has made. This is not new technology here fellas it has been around for years as much money as we spend on our classics here is it not worth a 200.00 tracking device ? You can really find places in these trucks to hide this small item that would never be found or it would be to late by the time they did

Here is one, http://thespystore.com/gps-surveilla...sGRxoCZunw_wcB

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
Old 07-26-2016, 07:23 AM   #92
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post
That is why they have gps tracker now that detect movement and come on, you can literally follow its direct path and record each stop it has made. This is not new technology here fellas it has been around for years as much money as we spend on our classics here is it not worth a 200.00 tracking device ? You can really find places in these trucks to hide this small item that would never be found or it would be to late by the time they did

My thoughts exactly, free is good but hardwiring old cell phones into the truck somewhere?? Not on my rig. It seems just as likely that it'll fail you as it does it'll work. An actual GPS tracker will be more accurate, easier to hide, and less likely to malfunction or die on ya, and they are very inexpensive especially when compared to some of the stuff we buy for our trucks as pointed out earlier by hdff.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:33 AM   #93
dazza

Unfortunately the professional bad guys/crews have accessible technologies to locate/block such devices.

I'm not sure how well they work but there are alarms that will connect to cameras that will take multiple pictures and message them to your phone. Maybe get lucky and get a mug shot, license plate, or some sort of clue that may help in recovery.

Will defo be on the lookout 68 IRON, sorry to hijack a bit here, these type of posts just get me thinking of more options. Hope you have recovery success!
'72 K10 SWB, 350, sm465/np205
---- ----
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #94
n33k0

Man it sucks that there are people out there that would steal another guys truck... I'm sorry this happened to you.

Quote:

The only problem I see with this tracker is that it needs to be connected to a computer to upload all the tracking information. It wouldn't be very helpful in tracking a stolen truck since the GPS info would only be available after you find the truck, recover the GPS unit, and upload the info to your PC. Unless I missed the part in the description that said it uploaded the tracking info online (reading is hard)...
Old 07-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #95
GR8-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by n33k0 View Post
Man it sucks that there are people out there that would steal another guys truck... I'm sorry this happened to you.

The only problem I see with this tracker is that it needs to be connected to a computer to upload all the tracking information. It wouldn't be very helpful in tracking a stolen truck since the GPS info would only be available after you find the truck, recover the GPS unit, and upload the info to your PC. Unless I missed the part in the description that said it uploaded the tracking info online (reading is hard)...
You are correct on that, I actually posted the wrong one they actually have another model that is trackable and has geo fencing capabilities. But of course with those options comes a fee and it is also not 200.00 but double that. There is so many options out there which makes it hard to decide which one best fits the need.

Check out this one http://thespystore.com/gps-car-track...l-time-gps-sc2

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
Old 07-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #96
n33k0

Quote:
You are correct on that, I actually posted the wrong one they actually have another model that is trackable and has geo fencing capabilities. But of course with those options comes a fee and it is also not 200.00 but double that. There is so many options out there which makes it hard to decide which one best fits the need.

Check out this one http://thespystore.com/gps-car-track...l-time-gps-sc2
That one looks pretty good. And I agree with what you said, with all the time and money we put into these trucks it makes sense to spend the money on a tracker. It's tough to justify the up-front cost, but what price would you put on peace of mind?
Old 07-26-2016, 12:10 PM   #97
68 IRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Just seen your posts on Facebook, this kinda crap pisses me off! If i see any gold parts your gonna hear from me.
Thank you! This truck isn't spectacular, but it is mine.....I miss the time just working on it.
68 IRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:12 PM   #98
68 IRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy_hotrod View Post
My eyes are peeled! I'm not 15 mins from feddy way. I'm on Craigslist/eBay way too often and will be sure to let you know ASAP brother. Good luck.
I appreciate it like you have know idea....thank you!!!
Old 07-26-2016, 12:19 PM   #99
68 IRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
May Karma catch up to those who did this to you. Since it was stolen from a Park and Ride area, they probably cased you out for a few weeks , then put it in a covered trailer and had it two states away before your lunch break. There is a special place in Hades for a lowlife thief. My eyes are always open for "our trucks", so just keep us posted. As a purist at heart, I always notice unique mods on people's trucks. Are there any subtle things that we would notice, to know that it (or parts of it) is yours?
Nothing stands out....just simple bolt on changes (3 OTT w/ ot and tack dash). Color is kind of the tough one to describe to anyone I'm finding....it can look green, brown or even gold depending on the light. Thanks for the support
Old 07-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #100
68 IRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
I had the idea to try this search in google:

car thefts park and ride

And got lots and lots of links to news stories going back years for repeated such thefts of both cars and contents of cars or parts. Even one where they were taking the catalytic converters.. Looks like there were many thefts in the Salt Lake City area from park and ride lots.

Most of the stories say the thieves prefer this type of parking lot because the vehicle owners are usually gone for at least 8 hours and the lack of security and no cameras.. (unlike an airport for example).

Some of the thieves have been caught and their photos are in the news stories but I didn't see one going after classic cars.. (I only read a few).

Maybe if you could talk your reporting police officer to do a computer search for thefts of 1967-72 chevy trucks from park and ride lots and see if anyone has that mode of operating... and if that someone happens to be out of prison.

Sometimes thieves will keep doing what works and they get better at it.

Thanks Gromit, I'll look into that!