The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #1
davidc22

Need help with horn contact plate

71 GMC C15 350/TH350. I am trying to get the horn to work as it didn't when I bought it. Horn circuit works, if I short the steering wheel nut to the plunger the horn sounds. I am using the original steering wheel. When I install the contact plate the outer edges sit on a plastic "ledge" which is preventing it from making metal to metal contact. I am baffled either there is some kind of metal plate missing from the wheel or the contact plate is too big or something else id wrong with the wheel [or I'm an idiot]. Everything seems right and I'm pretty sure i'm installing the contact plate correctly [like an upside down bowl]. Hope someone out there knows what I'm talking about and hopefully has a solution. I have bare metal at the bottom but the plate is sitting on the plastic lip [I scrapped it quite a bit and it appears to be solid plastic]. HELP...
I have searched and read but have not seen a similar issue.
Thanks
davidc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Need help with horn contact plate

-
Here is a picture of all of the horn parts.

The large plastic piece with the spring loaded contact goes under the steering wheel and the contact tower sticks up through a hole in the steering wheel hub. The disk is the first piece to go inside the steering wheel, then the metal cup, then the plastic retainer with the three screws. If you hold the metal cup in your hand and put the retainer down inside it you will see that the bosses on the plastic retainer fit snug inside the holes in the cup. Turn that assembly upside down and put the metal disk on it and you will see that the holes in the disk just fit over the bosses on the retainer also. That is the way it has to go together. It can be tough getting it all lined up down inside the steering wheel and keeping the metal disk in place. If the disk gets out of place and gets pinched between the steering wheel hub and the retainer, either the horn won't honk or it will honk all the time. You may have to take a small screwdriver and push the metal disk up from the bottom after you have the screws snugged up to get it in place. When you have all of the parts installed and you push on the edge of the metal cup it should push down a little bit, it should not be solid. If it is solid or the horn honks when you hook the battery back up the studs are on the disk and not through it.

This is one of those procedures that is hard to put into words but fairly easy to do so I hope you can follow my rambling....

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 05-08-2016 at 09:39 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
davidc22

Thanks but I understand how these parts assemble and work my problem is how they seat/fit in the steering wheel. I think the wheel is damaged some how preventing the "disk" from making contact with the metal in the hub. Just wondering if anybody has seen or heard of this problem.
davidc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #4
XwalkerX

looks like i know why my horn doesnt work...

it would help if i had all the other piece besides just the one in the upper left
XwalkerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:56 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc22 View Post
Thanks but I understand how these parts assemble and work my problem is how they seat/fit in the steering wheel. I think the wheel is damaged some how preventing the "disk" from making contact with the metal in the hub. Just wondering if anybody has seen or heard of this problem.

How about a picture of the inside of the steering wheel hub. Not sure how it could get damaged down inside.

EDIT: After reading your posts again I don’t think you are understanding how the horn works. The metal disk can’t touch the metal inside of the hub until the horn button is pushed. If it did the horn would honk all the time. The disk makes contact with the CENTER of the hub when the horn button is pushed and that provides the ground to energize the relay and make the horn honk.

LockDoc

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 05-11-2016 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:14 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by XwalkerX View Post
looks like i know why my horn doesnt work...

it would help if i had all the other piece besides just the one in the upper left
I don't know what year your truck is but the metal cup is different between '67-'68 & '69-'72. The one for the '67-'68 is deeper than the later one.

LockDoc

-
Old 05-10-2016, 10:30 PM   #7
XwalkerX

i have a 72 and i have an aftermarket steering wheel kit like this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-CH...item3f62a29f75
XwalkerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:40 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by XwalkerX View Post
i have a 72 and i have an aftermarket steering wheel kit like this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-CH...item3f62a29f75
I don't have a clue what that would use. You would just have to try the stock parts and see.

LockDoc

-
Old 05-11-2016, 10:40 AM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Need help with horn contact plate

Does it have the spring on the shaft? this keeps the horn collar tight so it contacts the plate when the wheel is in place.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.

Last edited by Andy4639; 05-11-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote