The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2019, 08:46 AM   #1
weim55

Heavy duty rear shock mounts for stock application C 20 with coils?

My 69C 20 has lower shock mounts that are cracked on both sides. I want to put some good Bilstein Shocks on this rig and I don’t see those original mounds holding up even if I replace them with original NOS. I can find options for lowered trucks but nothing for stock. I have also heard of shock relocation, is this a good idea for a stock application as well?

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Heavy duty rear shock mounts for stock application C 20 with coils?

Do the No Limit shock relocater kit and you will be very happy with it even on a stock truck.
It's worth every penny!

It moves them to the outside the frame rails and will make the truck feel much better in a curve. I took the rear sway bar off I had because it was in the way of the shocks mounting. I was pissed I was going to loose it but after the install and driving the truck I didn't need it anymore.

http://nolimit.net/products#!/~/prod...32&id=26244502
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #3
weim55

Re: Heavy duty rear shock mounts for stock application C 20 with coils?

Does the no limit kit require a different shock absorber than original?

Steve weim55 Colorado
Old 10-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Heavy duty rear shock mounts for stock application C 20 with coils?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim55 View Post
Does the no limit kit require a different shock absorber than original?

Steve weim55 Colorado
I don't think so but you can call them and verify that!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

There is a reason that your shock mounts have cracked and hundreds of thousands of other trucks haven't. Some of the reasons are driving with bad or broken shocks, having the wrong length shocks installed, or driving on very bad rocky roads where the mounts take a lot of physical abuse, or driving the truck in a extremely overloaded state, or driving on bad washboard roads way to fast, and lets not to forget, jumping the truck, aka Dukes of Hazard.
For a stock truck in good mechanical condition the factory shock mounts are completely up the the job.
I would look to find the reason for the failure and replace the bad ones with good originals before dropping a bunch of cash on some parts that weren't meant to be used on a stock truck. If you are planning on dropping the truck and doing other suspension modifications to make the handling better then by all means go and modify the mounts, but otherwise I would put my hard earned cash elsewhere.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:00 PM   #6
weim55

Decades ago I worked in retail automotive repair and there were still plenty of these trucks in use daily. Broken rear shock mounts were a very common problem on these trucks. Two reasons make me seek an upgrade:

All dirt road where I live with plenty of washboard. Very hard on shock mounts.

The Bilsteins are a very tight shock, that are much stouter then the original mounts were ever designed for.

The relocation kit places the shock absorbers in a much more reactive position that should greatly help handling (?). I’m not an engineer, but I’m truly curious of the pros and cons of both set ups.

Steve weim55 Colorado