The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2019, 11:27 PM   #1
Toro

Everything but headlights

I've been working through all of my lights on my '72 and I now have everything working except the headlights. I can make them work if I jumper 12v from the fuse panel to the plug on the dimmer switch, so I thought it was that switch, but I jumpered across that connection and still nothing. I don't have voltage going g to the dimmer switch. I have replaced the main headlight switch, and the run lights, panel lights, brake lights, blinkers all work. I know the headlights themselves are good because they turn on when I jumper 12v to the plug at the dimmer switch. Does power normally come from the headlight switch to the dimmer switch and then to the headlights? Thanks
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:21 AM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Everything but headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
I've been working through all of my lights on my '72 and I now have everything working except the headlights. I can make them work if I jumper 12v from the fuse panel to the plug on the dimmer switch, so I thought it was that switch, but I jumpered across that connection and still nothing. I don't have voltage going g to the dimmer switch. I have replaced the main headlight switch, and the run lights, panel lights, brake lights, blinkers all work. I know the headlights themselves are good because they turn on when I jumper 12v to the plug at the dimmer switch. Does power normally come from the headlight switch to the dimmer switch and then to the headlights? Thanks
Yes power comes through headlight switch to dimmer on the light blue wire. Then the other 2 wires are high/Low beams going out to the lights. Should be tan & green.

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3645...c2a8064d_o.jpg

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #3
Toro

Re: Everything but headlights

Ok, thanks. I don't have voltage on the blue wire at the dimmer switch. After looking at the wiring diagram, this should be un-fused straight from the headlight switch. It looks like the blue wire goes up from the dimmer switch and joins the wiring bundle that goes into the fuse panel. However, the wiring diagram shows it doesn't connect to anything in the panel, so it should just pass through in the wiring bundle up to the headlight switch correct? My next step tonight will be to trace the blue wire from the headlight switch to the dimmer switch.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #4
Wrenchbender Ret

You are on the right track. The hot wire going to the light switch for the headlights is separate from the rest of the circuits so you may have to trace back from there.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:46 PM   #5
toolboxchev

Have you checked the stupid little SFE 4 amp fuse on the headlight circuit located on the front of engine bay?
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:49 PM   #6
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Ok, thanks. I don't have voltage on the blue wire at the dimmer switch. After looking at the wiring diagram, this should be un-fused straight from the headlight switch. It looks like the blue wire goes up from the dimmer switch and joins the wiring bundle that goes into the fuse panel. However, the wiring diagram shows it doesn't connect to anything in the panel, so it should just pass through in the wiring bundle up to the headlight switch correct? My next step tonight will be to trace the blue wire from the headlight switch to the dimmer switch.
The blue wire simply "passes through" the bundle of wires at the fuse panel/bulkhead connector.. And just for the record -- there are no fuses in the headlight wiring.. The headlights and their associated wiring are protected by a circuit breaker built into the headlight switch..

Before you start tearing the wiring bundle apart tracing the blue wire between the dimmer switch and headlight switch, here's a more simple method of checking.. Unplug the harness from the headlight switch and the dimmer switch.. On the headlight plug, check for voltage on the large red wire.. Should be 12 volts... If you don't have voltage there, you probably have a bad connection where it passes through the bulkhead connector. .Or somewhere along it's length as it makes it way through the Harness starting at the battery positive terminal..

If you do have voltage on the red wire, put a jumper between it and the blue wire.. You should now have voltage at the dimmer switch plug.. If voltage is now on the blue wire, connect the plug to the dimmer switch and check for high and low beams.. If voltage isn't present, the blue wire is broken somewhere between the two switches.. Repair as needed.

You stated you have replaced the headlight switch??? Be sure it's a good one and be sure the terminals in the plug fit very tight on the switch

If you need a wiring diagram It's available in "wiring diagrams" thread located in the ELECTRICAL forum.. Also, a digital multi-meter and/or 12v test light will be very useful..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote