The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
BrianG

Drip Rail - Seam Sealer or Body Filler

I am really having a bad day.

My truck is in the body shop, it has been there for the last several months. It
is getting close to being done. I just found out today that the guy who I've been dealing with, no longer works there. Lots of worry and questions in my head right now. So, one of the guys who is now working on it, is "finishing" up working on the drip rail. He said he decided to use "Plastic" (his words) instead of seam seal because (again in his words) "if the old seam sealer cracked and went bad once, it would probably again". So, I said, I thought you were going to use that auto leveling seam sealer. But of course, I've been dealing with some one different all along, and this all happened without any knowledge to me or any conversations. Anyhow, So, I asked him... By Plastic, do you mean body filler? He said yes, and showed me the 2K stuff. He claimed it will hold up and be better than the seam sealer. Whatever.

So, my question to all of you that would know more than I do (and maybe my new body man) about this subject.... Will "Plastic" or Body filler work in replacement of auto leveling seam sealer for around the drip line about the doors and windshield?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Drip Rail - Seam Sealer or Body Filler

I'm pretty sure body filler will crack when used as a seam sealer. You need something flexible in there.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
Bagd72Chevy
C10 Collector

The body filler will crack. Seam sealer, autoleveling or not is the correct thing to use. Sure it will dry out and crack again but in another 50 years. Maybe longer as todays urethane clear coats are much more resilient to environmental factors than the ename/laquer of the 60's.
Bagd72Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
67swb72klb

no body filler no way!! if that body guy is doing something like that I would keep him away from your truck
Old 10-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
BrianG

So, Just so I have some informed information when I go back in there... What can I tell him for as to the reason why it will crack? I did look at it, and he did only put a very thin 'layer' of body filler in there. Also, he said that he's done this before.

Like I said, I'm kinda beside myself right now because I've been dealing with one guy since the beginning. Now its someone new. I went with this place because of the guy who WAS working on it.

I hate this sort of thing. I find it hard to argue with someone when I'm not a body guy and he is.

I really respect all of the opinions and information that I get on this site. That's why I visit here so often and asked you all.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
Bagd72Chevy
C10 Collector

The seams move. The body filler is too stiff and will crack. Make sure they did not fill the cab seam along the back of the roof with filler either because it will crack right out.
Bagd72Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #7
RManson

I wouldn't argue with him for 5 seconds if it were my money, my truck and I had the slightest inkling that he's not doing something the way I wanted it done. Better to take your truck elsewhere I think.

The seams will move, filler will crack, and allow moisture to enter under the paint/bodywork. We all know what happens next...
RManson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #8
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

It absolutely moves. An easy vehicle to see when this was done incorrectly (and I see this all the time as I'm IN a Mustang club as well) is 65/66 mustang coupes. There's a seam that runs from the rear window to the trunk. Only about 4" long. I see so many cars with cracked out bondo, it's kind of funny/sad. It's supposed to just have a bead of sealer in there.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #9
litew8

If it were me, I'd go in there and talk with the manager/owner. I would tell them "THIS IS WHAT I WANT", not what you are recommending. 3M self leveling, NOT bondo/filler.

It needs a primed/prepped surface before being applied.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #10
70shortfleet

I did this myself, used SEM self leveling. It was pretty easy to work with, 1st time I attempted this. I wouldn't use plastic but that's just me
Attached Images

70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #11
BrianG

I talked to the new (or he says always been) owner of the shop. He said that the guy working on it will 'probably' also put in self leveling seam sealer. The "plastic" was really thin... I guess, I don't really get why he even messed with it. I'll keep on top of the situation and make sure they do it right. Thanks for all you're input
Old 10-08-2014, 02:44 AM   #12
litew8

If it were me, I'd tell them to remove the bondo/filler. Prime, scuff, then self leveling. That's what we did above and is the correct procedure. Turned out great.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:30 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Isn't the problem with body putty that it cracks? Isn't that why OEM uses seam sealer that lastes decades of daily outside use in all climates? Aren't there better products for this application available, now, 40+ years later? Ask him these questions and see what he says. Then let him know you are spending a lot of money here and seam sealer is what you want and that you will specify which one since you'll have to live with it and he doesn't seem to be knowledgeable on the topic (if he gives you any grief)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #14
sboris

Seam sealer is made specificaly for this kind of application. Why would anybody even consider anything else? Sounds like this dude is a short cutter to me. I would keep a close eye for sure on the rest of it. And agree with others, i would want that all ground out.
Also seems silly is, wouldnt the filler be more work?? Shaping and such. The seam sealer lays down so easy...
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #15
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboris View Post
Seam sealer is made specificaly for this kind of application. Why would anybody even consider anything else? Sounds like this dude is a short cutter to me. I would keep a close eye for sure on the rest of it. And agree with others, i would want that all ground out.
Also seems silly is, wouldnt the filler be more work?? The seam sealer lays down so easy...
Yeah, he told me he has spent 'hours' sanding it smooth. I did look up there at it. There wasn't really much there. I'm not sure what the rail looks like completely cleaned out, but it basically looks like where he is at, at this point is just similar to what you would do over a welded seam where you patched a panel or something similar to that. It still makes me worried with any at all in there, if its going to crack and cause issues. I'm having some communication issues with the owner of the shop and the workers at this point I believe. The guy I've dealt with all along said that he was part owner, but I honestly have no idea what is or was true. I've read so many horror stories of paint shop or body shop nightmares... never thought I'd be living one.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #16
sboris

Good luck!!
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #17
aris_unlimited

My body guy uses seam sealer for all kinds of stuff lol. He loves it, I think it is more durable than bondo would be in quite a few situations.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #18
54blackhornet

OK we all agree on seam sealer ! Can someone walk thru the proper procedure for applying it ? Do you start in center of windshield and let it flow out toward the drop behind the doors ? I would like to do this before the rain season begins again
Old 10-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #19
70shortfleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
OK we all agree on seam sealer ! Can someone walk thru the proper procedure for applying it ? Do you start in center of windshield and let it flow out toward the drop behind the doors ? I would like to do this before the rain season begins again
Watch this one
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:48 AM   #20
litew8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
As mentioned before, prime (bare or near), scuff, seam seal. The 3M products I've used were OK I thought. Never before using, there was an immediate learning curve throughout. More in understanding the flow rate of the application. 3M seemed slightly more fluid than expected. I applied like caulking and adjusted flow where needed. Once it crested at 1/4 I'd slowly run the rail. I used the more fluid 3M along the [top] of the cab and the lesser along the vertical (behind the doors). That's my personal description and I'm not a body shop, which should understand such things. To do it yourself, you may need to acquire the proper gun. It's a two part mixture if I remember correctly (for the 3M product(s)).

OP: If it were me, I'd pull it from there and if they refuse, call the cops. If they removed the bodo/filler, you should be able to discern. Bare metal or bare metal covered with primer. The seam is noticeable.

Last edited by litew8; 10-09-2014 at 01:59 AM.
litew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:56 AM   #21
chevy1970c10

OK so i see all the drip rails with pictures of the horizontal sections with seam sealer but what about the vertical sections how did those turn out with the self leveling seam sealer? I just purchased the 3m 08329 controlled flow seam sealer, that will run about 1 1/2- 2" on a 45deg vertical surface and self leveling hope it works out.
chevy1970c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:33 AM   #22
litew8

Same used in other areas

more in my build thread link below
Old 10-09-2014, 07:35 AM   #23
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I am really having a bad day.

He said he decided to use "Plastic" (his words) instead of seam seal because (again in his words) "if the old seam sealer cracked and went bad once, it would probably again".
Your help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to speak to the manager of that shop. "Plastic" will crack and leak, seam sealer will last, oh, 40 years or so. If the shop owner won't have that hack job cleaned up get your truck out of his shop.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #24
BigDaddyV

I'm with everyone else. I used Sikaflex which is a industrial grade sealer. Its been used in the bus industry for many years and does really well. I'm sure is is very simular to the 3m stuff.
1972 Chevy C10, Project "Chevro~Layed out" Nether Storm
Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...23#post6007523
BigDaddyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #25
old Chevy guy

Also if the guy says he spent hours sanding the filler, tell him you don't want to pay him for the time he spent doing it wrong. Where did your guy you were dealing with go? Any chance of tracking him down and getting him to finish it at his new place of employment?
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote