The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2022, 08:59 AM   #1
70cst

Gas leak

Got uo this morning and smelled gas … looks like I have a leak on the Circuit Rider …

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 11:52 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Gas leak

Just in the cab or is the smell from outside also?

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 01:02 PM   #3
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Just in the cab or is the smell from outside also?
Outside ... I think I saw a small pool of gas on the cement under the engine.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 09:02 PM   #4
jeffahart

Maybe not, if you don't actually see gas leaking. My garage stank like gas for months, I got sick of it. Installed a WIX - 33054 and recirculated back through the top of the fuel sending unit. I wasn't happy about having to do it but the gas smell in my shop is gone. Worked like a charm. If you can't find a leak you may be heat soaking and boiling off.

good luck!

j
Old 08-23-2022, 03:26 PM   #5
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Installed a WIX - 33054 and recirculated back through the top of the fuel sending unit. I wasn't happy about having to do it but the gas smell in my shop is gone. Worked like a charm.
How is it connected and where did you install it?

I should have asked what's the theory behind using it.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 07:38 PM   #6
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
How is it connected and where did you install it?

I should have asked what's the theory behind using it.
I installed the WIX right above the rocker cover as close as I could to the carb. I ran a 1/4" steel line following the path of the supply fuel line up through the bottom of the cab and used a through bulkhead hose barb fitting with a 1/4" (inner diamater) to penetrate the fuel sending unit. Pretty easy. But like I said I wasn't happy about having to do it as I had to cut into my fuel line and use a small section of rubber hose to make the connections at the WIX and at the hose barb going through the top of the sending unit.

The theory: (and short answer) It's not really a theory, but a fact that today's fuel has a lower boiling point. When you shut down your engine the temps under the hood get even hotter, no water or air circulating. The fuel in the pump and carb starts to boil and creates pressure and floods the carb. If you have trouble starting your truck 10-15 minutes after sitting and it starts like it's flooded, it's because it is. And that's the gas smell. I drive my truck in 110+ heat here. The solution works for me. But after hard runs in extreme heat I still sometimes get the hard start, but it's very minor now, just a slight tap on the gas pedal and it fires up. It used to be real bad and my garage reeked like a gas spill. But I never get the gas stink in my shop anymore.

Easy solution and it worked for me... just annoyed about having to hack into my solid fuel line.

j
Old 08-23-2022, 08:17 PM   #7
MikeB

I understand the boiling problem, but not how this solution addresses it. How does sending a small amount of fuel back to the tank prevent fuel in the float bowls from boiling?
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:44 PM   #8
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I understand the boiling problem, but not how this solution addresses it. How does sending a small amount of fuel back to the tank prevent fuel in the float bowls from boiling?
I think the point you want clarified it the gas already in the carb right? In normal driving, once the carb is satisfied the excess fuel will go out the return line. Once you shut down and fuel begins to vaporize the vapor will collect in the filter and force fuel out the return line. But what about whats in the carb already. No more fuel will forced into the carb once you shutdown, but you could get some vapor coming off fuel already the carb... but it's negligible and at least you won't get a bunch of excess fuel forced in.

j