The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
D-Rat

So I've invested about $250...(pic heavy)

...and a fair amount of time.

After reading every post in this forum and many others, I decided how I was going to do my stereo, and I did it on the cheap. I'm thrilled with how it sounds. It drowns out the big 400 even with the loud pedal applied, so I'll declare this mission a success. Bass is reasonably good given the fact there's just the two speakers.

I found a Pioneer 50w x4 CD player at Wally World on closeout for $100, and a set of Pioneer 4way 6x9s to go with it for abot $70 more.

Add the following:

$30 universal head unit mount from Best Buy,
$50 for a sheet of 0.090 wall aluminum - I maybe used about 1/4 of the sheet, so we'll call that $12.50
$5 for a can of spray paint,
$2 for 12 feet of speaker wire
$25 or so for various weather stripping, screws, some 1x1 wood, and a roll of electrical tape.
$6 for the 3 cutoff wheels I used up cutting the aluminum

My interior on my '70 is real nice and unmolested, so I wanted to keep it that way. The AM radio works, and there have never been speakers in the doors, so I wanted this stereo to go in and still have the ability to return things to original.

Conventional 6x9 speaker boxes were too big, so I needed something made of thin and light material that would fit on the door. So I went with aluminum. It took a good solid day to cut all the pieces, assemble, and paint the boxes. The back piece is bent at angles...that was the toughest part considering I only had a vise, a block of wood, and a couple big C clamps to do the bending with, and all cuts were done freehand with a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. All that considered, I think they turned out OK. Surprisingly, they're not that intrusive on the interior legroom of the truck.

So anyways, I didn't take pics of the raw materials on the boxes, but here's some pics starting after they had a coat of paint on them and were being assembled. My jig saw worked well for cutting out the speaker holes.

The two mounting holes use the front two bottom door panel screws. I did replace the OEM screws with some slightly longer cap screws and used blue loctite to keep them from vibrating loose. You can see the mounting holes in this shot.

The Pioneer speakers. Thse have a mounting depth of 3 1/16". The boxes are just about as thin as they can be.

Here's the speakers mounted in the front plates:

Here's some raw materials to remove any rattles or tinny sound quality.

www.nissan4wheelers.com

Last edited by D-Rat; 12-21-2009 at 09:41 PM.
D-Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
D-Rat

Re: So I've invested about $250...

After applying weather stripping around the inside of the front plate mount and liberal amounts of foam to dampen any vibrations or metallic rattles. In addition to this, there's more than just screws holding the aliminum to the wood frame - I used liquid nais on that as well. These cabinets are super rigid.

Nearly assembled:

Driver Door mount. In addition to the door panel screws, there's 2 sided JBWeld adhesive tape along the bottom edge. If I ever want to remove that, some heat should get that off there, but this is some STICKY stuff. The boxes do not rattle on the doors whatsoever.

The head unit. I used two existing screws to hold this on - the ones that hold the trim piece under the steering column and drilled two tiny additional holes on the sides of the mounting kit for additional rigidity. Those are the only scars to the truck on the whole install.

How it looks with the door shut:

Passenger door:

The only thing left is to get some sleeving over the speaker wire to keep it from getting pinched. Old trucks are easy to run wires...just ran them under the carpet, and I wired the power leads direct to the battery.

I'm a little disappointed in the color, but finding lime green in a hammered finish was...well...impossible. It'll do. At least it's still green

www.nissan4wheelers.com

Last edited by D-Rat; 12-18-2009 at 07:19 PM.
D-Rat is offline   Reply With Quote