The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #151
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Re: My 57 build (lots of pictures)

Sometimes we all hit a wall and have to move on to something else to get re-motivated!! Have you gotten what you need to install the vette components??
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #152
dennis57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
Sometimes we all hit a wall and have to move on to something else to get re-motivated!! Have you gotten what you need to install the vette components??
Not yet. I've found 3 business that make kits or components to install the C4 stuff in the front. I need to give them all a call Monday and see what's what. One of the guys is over on the 60-66 and 67-72 sections that makes a front section for ours that sounds really good. http://www.dropmember.com/
Old 08-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #153
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

Can't go wrong with Nate's porterbuilt stuff very well built and he knows his stuff

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #154
57ToyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodrookie View Post
That joint definetly needs some full penetration, backing plate, and a rail boxing. Good luck.
I have to agree... Looks to me like there wasn't enough HEAT.
Doesn't look like penitration was acheived. Weak weld.
57ToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #155
Longstep70

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis57 View Post
Not yet. I've found 3 business that make kits or components to install the C4 stuff in the front. I need to give them all a call Monday and see what's what. One of the guys is over on the 60-66 and 67-72 sections that makes a front section for ours that sounds really good. http://www.dropmember.com/
Last time I asked he wasn't doing anything for the 55-59 trucks in terms of the dropmember , which is a shame. i guess he does custom work too though.
I know of the Flatout engineering kits for mounting Vette suspension but who else have you found?

-Andy
Longstep70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #156
dennis57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longstep70 View Post
Last time I asked he wasn't doing anything for the 55-59 trucks in terms of the dropmember , which is a shame. i guess he does custom work too though.
I know of the Flatout engineering kits for mounting Vette suspension but who else have you found?

-Andy
Progressive Automotive also makes kits for trucks.

http://www.progressiveautomotive.com/55CJ.htm
Old 08-01-2009, 11:42 PM   #157
Roadkill58

Grind it, weld it hot, and fish plate it, and box it. Good to go!
Roadkill58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #158
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

How about a complete frame swap??

http://www.hrjinc.com/chassis_55_59_chevy_trucks.php
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #159
dennis57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
lol, I wish I could go that way but I keep having to remind my self that I'm not Bill Gates and I need to build instead of buy. I'd like to go with Porterbuilt but with my budget in mind I'm thinking about one of the other 2 companies. I'm going to make some calls today and make a decision.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #160
dennis57

I just got off the phone with Bob at Progressive Automotive. What a great guy. He spent almost an hour with me going over all the details of their suspension components. He is building a 56 that you guys should take a look at.

http://www.progressiveautomotive.com/Kustom%20Kick.htm
Old 08-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #161
pgf545

I went with the Progressive tranny mount and boxing plates. The crossmember was really nice. Somewhere on my link I have pictures of the install.

Bernie
Old 08-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #162
Longstep70

Quote:
I just got off the phone with Bob at Progressive Automotive. What a great guy. He spent almost an hour with me going over all the details of their suspension components. He is building a 56 that you guys should take a look at.

http://www.progressiveautomotive.com/Kustom%20Kick.htm
That's a pretty sweet truck but I think his hood scoop is going to be a bit big...
=)

So does progressive just do full chassis? Are you thinking of going that route?

-Andy
Old 08-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #163
dennis57

Quote:
That's a pretty sweet truck but I think his hood scoop is going to be a bit big...
=)

So does progressive just do full chassis? Are you thinking of going that route?

-Andy
I wish I could afford a full progressive chassis. But after talking with Bob I'm thinking about using his components and maybe building my own. I'm trying to look at all the angles and see what I might get myself into.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #164
Longstep70

Quote:
I wish I could afford a full progressive chassis. But after talking with Bob I'm thinking about using his components and maybe building my own. I'm trying to look at all the angles and see what I might get myself into.
Are you going to have to kick up the frame at the front to mount it all? From what I recall of my (brief) conversation with Nate at Porterbuilt about the dropmember and why he doesn't have one for the 55-59 I think the relative position of the frame is what makes it more difficult. The frame needs to kick up, I think, if you want to get low anyway. I had originally looked at the Flatout kit but it doesn't seem to lay out low enough and so I pretty much decided on the Camaro clip for my project. There's plenty of pro-touring type bolt on handling goodies for 2nd Gen camaros and I can still get the C5 brakes as a conversion. I look forard to following your build though. =)

-Andy
Old 08-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #165
dennis57

Quote:
Are you going to have to kick up the frame at the front to mount it all? From what I recall of my (brief) conversation with Nate at Porterbuilt about the dropmember and why he doesn't have one for the 55-59 I think the relative position of the frame is what makes it more difficult. The frame needs to kick up, I think, if you want to get low anyway. I had originally looked at the Flatout kit but it doesn't seem to lay out low enough and so I pretty much decided on the Camaro clip for my project. There's plenty of pro-touring type bolt on handling goodies for 2nd Gen camaros and I can still get the C5 brakes as a conversion. I look forard to following your build though. =)

-Andy
I had a long talk with Nate today and they make a front clip that brings the frame rails in and up. He was also very helpful. I'll let you guys know what I'm up too when I get back next week from a trip I'm making.

Last edited by dennis57; 08-03-2009 at 10:11 PM.
dennis57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #166
Longstep70

Please do, I'd love to hear more about that clip.

-Andy
Old 08-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #167
dennis57

Quote:
Please do, I'd love to hear more about that clip. sorry for the small pictures but that's what was sent.

-Andy
Here's some of the pictures Nate sent me. I really like this.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #168
Longstep70

Quote:
Here's some of the pictures Nate sent me. I really like this.

Ooh that looks interesting. Shame about the tiny pics. That's how I want my apache to sit when its done.
This is a whole a frame stub with C4 components then is it? I just got the latest issue of Classic trucks magazine and they have an article on the Art Morrison bikini clips that replace the whole front clip in the same way as a camaro clip and by the looks of things, this clip. The magazine mentions Morrison offering a corvette based version but the article and the website shows only the Mustang 2 based version.

Last edited by Longstep70; 08-05-2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: spelling & grammar
Old 08-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #169
watahyahknow

just read the whole thing . i realy like those 57 trucks and youre done a great job sofar
nathan porterbuild is a great guy i met him and his father in person hes an ace welder and verry good in either chassis or suspension work , a couple of his projects are featured in truckmagazines
when i was there he had a couple of projects going and i seen some sheetmetal he done on them unpainted it was good enough to be painted without bondo

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #170
BluTooth

Really good job, have you decided on what you will do with the gas tank?
BluTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #171
Coronas56

Build it yourself, I made my own trans cross member, custom rear for the vette, I got flat outs front cross member.........about 40 hrs in chassis. Thought about changing it again.........All 3 companies are helpfull...........
Old 11-26-2009, 05:43 AM   #172
watahyahknow

i once was dreaming about a midengined truck with the engine in the bed against the cab and using a corvette Ceeeh5? transaxle for drive i would put the bellhouse straight against the gearbox and dont use the torqtube when i saw a pic of the transaxle i knew that wouldnt work , that thing is loooooong and has the diff at the end of the gearbox .
it would balance the truck better if it had the engine in the front closer to the cab than normal though .
knew someone a long time ago who crafted an old vette frame and everything on it to a 60's truckbody when he brought it in for service they asked him wat he done he just said nuttin but hitting sumtin does weird stuff to the body

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #173
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Just was looking through your build and was wondering what happen to you, hope everything is ok. If you done some work on the truck lately please do post pics.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #174
dennis57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluTooth View Post
Really good job, have you decided on what you will do with the gas tank?
Thanks. I will most likely build something after I get the chassis done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronas56 View Post
Build it yourself, I made my own trans cross member, custom rear for the vette, I got flat outs front cross member.........about 40 hrs in chassis. Thought about changing it again.........All 3 companies are helpfull...........
Oh yeah. All of these companies have been very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Just was looking through your build and was wondering what happen to you, hope everything is ok. If you done some work on the truck lately please do post pics.
Hey guys thanks for reminding me to post what's going on here. I started back to work 3 months ago! I'm now back home after 2 months out of town. So right now all work on the truck has stopped. I’ve bought the material to build my own chassis that I’ll start sometime after the first of the year when I get caught up at work.

I’m planning to build the chassis out of 2x4x.180 hot rolled and use a Flat Out cross member with bags for the front and a bagged 4 link for the rear. This should be fun, I've had it drawn out on the garage floor and doing my best "goesintas" figured my fenders aft of the wheel well will be 3"~4" off the ground at ride height. I'm not sure if that's a good height but I think it will be OK. I'll post some pictures when I get started.

Last edited by dennis57; 11-28-2009 at 11:07 AM.
dennis57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #175
dennis57

I figured it was time to get off my butt and back to work on the truck. So I cleaned up the garage to start building the chassis. I'll order the FOE cross member next week to get this started. I'm planning to Z the front 2" and a notch for the rear.