The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2019, 10:51 PM   #3526
MiraclePieCo

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
Waiting to get in to the Street Machine Nationals early this morning...
Look at that perfect stance - both wheel arches right on top of the whitewalls!
Old 07-19-2019, 11:37 PM   #3527
jeffs56

Man I love your truck, how’s the front dropped axle and springs holding up?
jeffs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:29 AM   #3528
evilokc

it was so hot today that I couldn't work in the garage. once it cooled off I started tacking the the patch panels. im still at it. I set my phone to go off every 30 minutes and I go out and run a few tacks. its about 60% welded. I didn't get to making the top patch panel yet. I did discover that when the shop "smoothed" my firewall they just piled a ton of bondo over everything. at last that what it seems like. I was cleaning the metal around the area to be welded and the bondo was thick. stupid professionals.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:15 AM   #3529
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
I did discover that when the shop "smoothed" my firewall they just piled a ton of bondo over everything. at last that what it seems like. I was cleaning the metal around the area to be welded and the bondo was thick. stupid professionals.
Don't feel too bad, here's some "pink lead" I've found in a couple of cars I've built:
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2019, 08:41 AM   #3530
idbeast

Went to drive the Beast yesterday and the in tank fuel pump decided no to work about 1 1/2 miles from home....
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:38 PM   #3531
Black_Sheep

A couple hours of heavy rain this morning at the Street Machine Nationals, once the storm passed it turned out to be a really nice day. Folks had a lot of interest in the truck, tons of nice comments too...
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:53 PM   #3532
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbeast View Post
Went to drive the Beast yesterday and the in tank fuel pump decided no to work about 1 1/2 miles from home....
^^^ BUMMER ^^^

Took my truck for a quick joy ride now that I have the seats back in it. I was very pleased that even on a 90* summer day the temp gauge never goes over 150 degrees (160* thermostat). Yes, that's a little cool but it's better than the alternative. For reliable cooling you just can't beat the time-tested combination of stock-style radiator and belt-driven mechanical fan.
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 07-20-2019 at 10:28 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:28 PM   #3533
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Don't feel too bad, here's some "pink lead" I've found in a couple of cars I've built:
that does make me feel better. mine isn't nearly that bad.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:36 PM   #3534
evilokc

spent some time in the garage today. made the upper patch and welded it in. I also welded all of the un used bolt holes in the fire wall. I started some grinding with a grinder and then went back and filled some pin holes. I have one hole left that I need to weld up tomorrow and then its all clean up. ive got to go get some 80 and 120grit disks tomorrow its still not pretty at the moment but im happy with how its coming out. at this rate I will be charging the system some time this week.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:27 AM   #3535
MARTINSR

I sort of got something done on the truck today. I tack welded the hood together, got the inner structure tack welded as well. The hood OPENED! OMG I am not kidding, I got a little verclempt, the damn hood opened and closed. I installed the latch and all and it works! I did it so I could trailer it to Idaho with that at least working, and it happened.

I also installed the grill and the front and rear bumper so I wouldn't have to carry them in the moving van, it also gave me a little fire, I dig seeing it like that, it moved me forward for sure.

I then did a bunch of cleaning of the back yard. Right now, I am beat, not joking, no "beat" like I always say, no, this really is BEAT.

Got to get to bed.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:16 AM   #3536
evilokc

it was so hot yesterday that I barley did anything. it was 99 degrees and 98% humidity. I welded up the last hole and called it a day. the next 2 days will be grinding and metal work on the patches. im really happy with how its coming out.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:13 AM   #3537
oldman3

Congrats Brian...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #3538
Volfandt

Brian, while I'm a big fan of the original looks of the venerable AD trucks, your chopped cab and front clip looks great. It works and it works, great job, carry on.
Dave

P.S. I imagine you're gonna mount the seats low to compensate, kinda like a Cheech and Chong cruiser, LOL.
Volfandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #3539
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfandt View Post
Brian, while I'm a big fan of the original looks of the venerable AD trucks, your chopped cab and front clip looks great. It works and it works, great job, carry on.
Dave

P.S. I imagine you're gonna mount the seats low to compensate, kinda like a Cheech and Chong cruiser, LOL.
I simply sectioned the seat riser down a few inches and lower the seat back a few inches so it's not in the rear window. Then I will make foam pads that are thinner than the originals.

Brian

Old 07-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #3540
NorCalGal

Congrats Brian, that is a huge step forward.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #3541
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
LOLOLOL, I have never seen anyone beat the bondo thickness I did on my truck when I chopped it when I was 16. I warped the roof so bad across the center that I put TWO GALLONS of bondo before even touching it with sand paper! LOLOL I measured it years later with a deep C clamp vice grip and at the thickest point it was an inch and a half!

Brian
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #3542
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I sort of got something done on the truck today. I tack welded the hood together, got the inner structure tack welded as well. The hood OPENED! OMG I am not kidding, I got a little verclempt, the damn hood opened and closed. I installed the latch and all and it works! I did it so I could trailer it to Idaho with that at least working, and it happened.

I also installed the grill and the front and rear bumper so I wouldn't have to carry them in the moving van, it also gave me a little fire, I dig seeing it like that, it moved me forward for sure.

I then did a bunch of cleaning of the back yard. Right now, I am beat, not joking, no "beat" like I always say, no, this really is BEAT.

Got to get to bed.

Brian
Brian your truck is coming along nicely and looks pretty cool. I'm curious though, why are you trailering to Idaho? Moving, or is it getting some special work done there?
Livemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #3543
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livemeyer View Post
Brian your truck is coming along nicely and looks pretty cool. I'm curious though, why are you trailering to Idaho? Moving, or is it getting some special work done there?
Moving there.

Brian

Old 07-22-2019, 04:20 PM   #3544
DransportGarage

Quote:
LOLOLOL, I have never seen anyone beat the bondo thickness I did on my truck when I chopped it when I was 16. I warped the roof so bad across the center that I put TWO GALLONS of bondo before even touching it with sand paper! LOLOL I measured it years later with a deep C clamp vice grip and at the thickest point it was an inch and a half!

Brian
Love those bell bottoms! -Bob
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:52 PM   #3545
svr

Ok its been awhile since i checked in, life and work hasn't left much truck time. Usually get a few hrs once a week or so. Getting bed and rear fenders somewhere near acceptable has taken most of the time. Got the bed and hood in 2k urethane finally and color on the under side of the hood. Reassembled the bed and installed and put the hood on, have never seen it with the hood on, came to me as a semi basket case. Trying to align the hood i found the core support wont move to the drivers side far enough to let the hood sit where it needs to be so gaps are kinda ok. Contemplating how best to modify core support mounts to get it where i want it, need about another 1/8 inch, thinking of just die grinding the hole in the core support so the bolt will still hit the captured nut. Other choice is modifying the cage on the captured nut so the nut will move over a bit more. A small leak in a brake line put me back on jack stands to tighten a couple fittings, think i got it. A couple pics.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2019, 10:53 PM   #3546
svr

The other end
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2019, 11:56 PM   #3547
idbeast

SVR it's looking good!!!

I got my new in tank fuel pump installed and got my bed wood put back together!
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:50 AM   #3548
MARTINSR

I was reminded today what this bracket is for. I have had this hood apart for a few years, I got it tacked together and opening and closing but the center was low hitting the top of the cowl. As I was cleaning up in the garage today I came across this bracket and remembered, OH YEAH, that will raise the hood. I put it on and it sure as heck did raise it, too much. I got back in there and loosened it up putting a washer for shim at each of the four outer bolts, wham, it fits beautiful now!

Brian
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2019, 12:57 AM   #3549
MARTINSR

So I have been climbing up into the engine compartment by sliding under the front crossmember on my belly then climbing up on top of the axle to work on the hood. Oh what fun for this 60 year old doing this! So once or twice, not a big deal, when I am on my 10th time oh yeah baby fun fun fun.

So I thought this was just too easy, I need to make it a little more difficult so yesterday I installed the grille and front bumper just to make it a little more of a challenge.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2019, 02:20 AM   #3550
MiraclePieCo

Quote:

Brian
Don't laugh, I've seen professional body shops do the same thing. Do you still have the same roof in the truck today?

Today I made a trip into town for some matching black vinyl to cover my door cards. Picked up some DAP Weldwood Contact Adhesive spray too.