The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2015, 11:25 PM   #1
Lil Ape

Can this be removed?

I believe this is an evap canister, but not 100%. I'm not sure what it's purpose is or how it works, but my truck is emissions exempt so I'm thinking about getting rid of it. There is only one line going to it. Not sure where that line goes to though, maybe someone could tell me? What would happen if I removed it? Or would it be wise to actually run it? Seems like it's hardly hooked up anyways.
Lil Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:09 AM   #2
Titomars

Re: Can this be removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Ape View Post
I believe this is an evap canister, but not 100%. I'm not sure what it's purpose is or how it works, but my truck is emissions exempt so I'm thinking about getting rid of it. There is only one line going to it. Not sure where that line goes to though, maybe someone could tell me? What would happen if I removed it? Or would it be wise to actually run it? Seems like it's hardly hooked up anyways.
If you don't need to pass any emissions tests to keep the truck legal then you can remove it. Since yours is not doing anything anyway. That is the evaporative canister it traps fuel vapors and collects them back to liquid. the line that is still hooked up to yours goes to the tank(s). If you remove it make sure you provide a way to vent the tank(s). Just capping that line will cause problems. The evap system also serves as your tank venting system.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:26 AM   #3
Lil Ape

You think I could just pull off the line at the canister end and tuck it between the frame and steering box?
Old 04-27-2015, 12:33 AM   #4
rickpilgrim

Quote:
You think I could just pull off the line at the canister end and tuck it between the frame and steering box?
Last time I tried that on my 82 it was fine untill I filled the tank full and lost 1/3rd of a tank in the 3 mile trip home. Best is to route it up the core support with a vented cap on the end of the line to keep dirt out.
Posted via Mobile Device
rickpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:39 AM   #5
Titomars

Quote:
Run a length of hose up the rad supt and put a breather cap for a differential or trans on the end. You want the end higher than the tank. I mount them as high as possible.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:52 AM   #6
Lil Ape

Yeah that seems like a much better idea. Does a vent cap look like the one in the pic? I had one on the breather tube on my diff.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:54 AM   #7
Titomars

Quote:
Yeah that seems like a much better idea. Does a vent cap look like the one in the pic? I had one on the breather tube on my diff.
that's the one