The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2021, 03:24 PM   #1
cgster

Replacing front suspension parts

Im getting ready to order ball joints, tie rods....etc to change out all of the old front end stuff on my 67 C10. I've never done any front end work, will there be any special tools I need to complete this job besides the everyday sockets, wrenches...etc? Also, any tips for things that might be difficult to change out? Thanks.
cgster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:42 PM   #2
pjmoreland

Re: Replacing front suspension parts

You will need a pickle fork to detach the tie rods and ball joints. The lower ball joint is pressed into the control arm, so it requires a press and the appropriate tools for that (either a press or a ball joint c-clamp style service kit). My local Les Schwab wanted $100 to press out my old ball joints and press in the new, so I bought a press at Harbor Freight and did it myself. I have used that press for dozens of other things since I got it. If you are replacing your control arm bushings, you will need some big wrenches. I bought a 3/4" drive socket set from Home Depot for this purpose.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:48 PM   #3
cgster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
You will need a pickle fork to detach the tie rods and ball joints. The lower ball joint is pressed into the control arm, so it requires a press and the appropriate tools for that (either a press or a ball joint c-clamp style service kit). My local Les Schwab wanted $100 to press out my old ball joints and press in the new, so I bought a press at Harbor Freight and did it myself. I have used that press for dozens of other things since I got it. If you are replacing your control arm bushings, you will need some big wrenches. I bought a 3/4" drive socket set from Home Depot for this purpose.
I may just end up buying the parts and taking it to a shop to get them to do it. Would that be something a brake/tire shop would do?
cgster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:49 PM   #4
zimmm

quick list.....
Ball joint press- press LBJ in/out of control arm
Pickle fork - separate bj and tie rods
Jack stands
BFH
Floor jack - support LCA when separating spindle from BJ's if not using an internal spring compressor

98 Z71, 96 Tacoma + more toys than I can remember
zimmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:08 PM   #5
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgster View Post
I may just end up buying the parts and taking it to a shop to get them to do it. Would that be something a brake/tire shop would do?
I'm speaking as a (retired) automobile mechanic.......

Not a good idea, bringing your parts to a shop.. Would you bring steak and veggies to a restaurant and ask them to cook it up for you?? If you're unable to do the work yourself, take the truck to a shop and let them install their parts.. Doing so will allow them to offer a "full coverage" warranty on the work...
RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:43 PM   #6
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post

Not a good idea, bringing your parts to a shop.. Would you bring steak and veggies to a restaurant and ask them to cook it up for you?? If you're unable to do the work yourself, take the truck to a shop and let them install their parts.. Doing so will allow them to offer a "full coverage" warranty on the work...
I agree. Let them source the parts from someone they trust and deal with daily. That way the shop and you have recourse if there's a problem with a part.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:11 PM   #7
tim_mc

I agree with letting the shop buy the parts, however you can ask what brand they will use and get an estimate to make sure they're not marking up the parts too much. I prefer Moog parts on the steering, but there may be other good names to use as well. RockAuto can give you a quick idea on the parts costs, however you may need to include a 10-20% markup that the local suppliers may charge. RockAuto carries Moog, ACDelco and a few others.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:32 PM   #8
LS short box

So my.02.
If you are replacing the basics like tie rod ends a couple of sharp hits with a mechanics hammer should drop them out. Same with the ball joints from the control arms. Put a chain of some type around spring so it doesn't get away from you.
Oreilly's has some no cost rental tools for installing ball joints. Along with a-arm bushing install tools.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:19 AM   #9
BC10

Go with Moog parts if trying to keep things closer to stock. I'm very happy with the quality and performance. I got all 4 coil springs, upper and lower ball joints from Moog.
BC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:22 AM   #10
68Gold/white

I used to sell auto parts.
Had 2-3 shops, only used Moog, period, nothing else.
Had many shops that ALWAYS bought the cheapest stuff, always!

Buyer beware, a serious conversation with the shop is in line, however you get the job done!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:53 AM   #11
67C10Step

Wish you were closer, I’d let you borrow some tools. That usually comes with a hand from me as well. ��

I did this on my 67 last year and replaced all wear parts. Ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, cross shafts/bushings and springs. Mine took me a good while because I was stripping and refinishing everything at the same time. If you are not doing all that a couple hands, tools, and a weekend of time should knocking out.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:18 PM   #12
seafoam68

I would recommend Moog parts. A little more expensive, but you get what you pay for. I did mine myself with a 12 ton shop press ($150). I already had all the other tools. As stated,a pickle fork and a pitman arm remover. As said, you can rent those for free from parts stores. One of the best purchases I ever made was a pickle fork that went into a air chisel. Just place it and hit trigger and bam, separated. Don't forget about springs being under pressure when you remove everything. When you are putting back together place spring in and simply Jack lower a arm up into place,making sure spring doesn't move out of place. There are indents in a arm where the end of the spring sits. If you do any kind of mechanical work you will find that you will use the press for other things down the road. Good luck.
seafoam68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:05 PM   #13
tinman_local2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post

Could not have said it better myself. My brother-in-law runs my wife's family's shop now and hates when people bring their own parts. He can't warranty a part he didn't buy and has a good relationship with the parts store that will let him submit a claim for labor, as long as the parts were bought on a commercial account. Do it yourself and buy the tools you need. You'd be surprised how much you will use a tool if you have it. it will pay for itself in no time. Ball joint press and pickle fork are the only specialty tools you will need. Give yourself plenty of time and use a Chiltons manual to get any torque specs and tips. Something else worth its weight in gold, a Chiltons manual. I've used the same one for more than 30 years. I think it's a 1970-1987 Chevrolet truck manual.
tinman_local2 is offline   Reply With Quote