The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2023, 05:16 PM   #1
RaTcheTmasTer
Automania

Post 1991 blazer cutting a fuel pump door to access fuel pump assembly?

So I have a 1991 GMC Jimmy 5.7. fuel pump is bad. I want to replace the whole assembly.

It has 30 gallons of fuel in it.

I know I can empty the fuel, etc. but I have heard of some people cutting an access panel in the floor (under my carpet) that I can do and avoid dropping the tank.
Yes, some will say I am stupid to to that, but I would like to use the metal I cut and put it back in place with the ability to remove it again. So many people out there say that the have had to replace faulty pumps that were new 2-3 times.

I hope to eventually LSX the truck in the next 4-5 years as it has 170,000 miles on it.

Has anyone done this without "hacking" the truck apart? Maybe a method that is as clean as possible?
Thanks.
RaTcheTmasTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 01:04 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: 1991 blazer cutting a fuel pump door to access fuel pump assembly?

Try to get the pump working. Get the fuel line disconnected from the filter ( you need to change the filter anyways) and a hose into a gas can. Have several cans ready if needed. By-pass the fuel pump relay and thump the bottom of the tank to 'shake the pump' somewhat. Sometimes they will start pumping. At least this way you can remove a lot of weight from the tank before dropping it. Personally I would not be cutting holes in my floor pan.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote