The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
Renee

Hello there. I am an author writing a story about a girl whose only inheritance is a mechanical bull. She has her Dad's '87 Chevy truck, in turquoise.

The mechanical bull weighs about 1500 pounds and is carried in an enclosed trailer. I have been trying to research if an '87 Chevy would be able to haul that heavy of a load.

I know very little about cars and even less about trucks! Any advice or suggestions on my choice of truck, or suggestions for a better or different year or model, would sure be appreciated.

The truck will have a big old pair of steer horns mounted to the grille. Hope this doesn't bother any purists. Thank you.
Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:55 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Hello there. I am an author writing a story about a girl whose only inheritance is a mechanical bull. She has her Dad's '87 Chevy truck, in turquoise.

The mechanical bull weighs about 1500 pounds and is carried in an enclosed trailer. I have been trying to research if an '87 Chevy would be able to haul that heavy of a load.

I know very little about cars and even less about trucks! Any advice or suggestions on my choice of truck, or suggestions for a better or different year or model, would sure be appreciated.

The truck will have a big old pair of steer horns mounted to the grille. Hope this doesn't bother any purists. Thank you.
It would be capable of hauling that load around w/o issue.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:11 PM   #3
Renee

Thank you so much!
Old 01-05-2017, 08:07 PM   #4
Renee

Scoti, in your opinion, what would be the oldest Chevy truck that could haul this 2000+ pound load? I love the look of some of the older Chevy trucks.

One other question - is it possible an older truck from the 50's or 60's could be altered to carry a heavier load?

Thank you.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #5
SCOTI

Most Chevy trucks from the 30's on could handle that load. Many ranchers, farmers, & blue collar folks used these trucks as one of their work tools to provide for their families well into the 70's.

The distance driven would prob be easier traveled in a square body truck (73-87) vs the earlier models just because the revisions over the years made them more 'car' like (power steering, auto transmissions, air conditioning, etc...).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #6
daddyjeep

Since you posted in this section of the forum, most of us are going to be slightly biased towards the square body (73-87). There are plenty of older trucks that would be capable of towing that load. Since she sounds like a farm girl, maybe she should be driving a 3/4 ton truck which would have more towing capacity. The 1/2 ton would be plenty capable of towing that load, but a 3/4 ton just seems to fit better to me.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #7
Renee

Thank you so much.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:44 PM   #8
Keith Seymore

In my opinion a 1/2 ton short box would be totally appropriate.

Most of my family (including me and my dad) would drive a short box for the more sporty appearance and light hauling, but also for pulling trailers (cotton, racecars and other).

My parents are from SE Missouri/NE Arkansas but I have family in Paducah.

We may be related!

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-06-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
Renee

Wow! Thank you so much. I'm actually from Buffalo, NY, so I'm a transplant.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #10
LT7A

Hey Renee, thanks for time taking the time to to check this out. I'm so glad to see it matters to you. I am an avid reader and being a car/truck enthusiast, I always notice when authors add validity by getting the autos right. Not necessarily by giving a ton of detail, but by just making the details correct. Feel free to ask any questions that come to mind. We will be happy to help and the amount of knowledge possessed by the members here is staggering. Any specifics about the story that can help us tailor the truck to your character are welcome.

Last edited by LT7A; 01-07-2017 at 12:55 PM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #11
Renee

Thank you so much!

I do have a scene where the trailer loaded with the mechanical bull starts to fishtail, swings back and forth in a vicious arc, and then plunges backward down a hill, dragging the truck with it. Maybe I could post that bit and you could see if I've got it right. (I watched some videos of trucks and trailers fishtailing and crashing.)

Again, thanks so much for your help.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #12
LT7A

Well. .. In all good humor and honesty, that part might present a bit of a problem. The trucks we are into are pretty capable and the idea of being towed backward by a 1500 to 2000 lb trailer wouldn't sit well and would also be highly unlikely. The lightest of these trucks are about 3800 lbs, 5000 isn't uncommon and it goes up from there. So a trailer weighing half as much or less probably wouldn't be able to get by. About the worst scenario would be to jackknife on ice. Other than that, while dramatic, that scenario you mentioned would struggle to be believable. My half ton (light chassis) 1993 extended cab weighs 4900 lbs and is rated to tow 8500 lbs. I don't know how much my 3/4 ton (medium duty chassis) weighs, but it is rated to tow 15,000 lbs. As you can see, having the little trailer pass the truck is almost something one would have to Try to do. And even then, probably wouldn't happen. I don't know how you want your character's driving skills to be seen, but they would have to be severely lacking for that to take place under any conditions. That said, an ice storm can cause lots of things to happen, and I don't know what you've found in videos. You might be sorry you asked now, haha, but I for one would be frustrated to read that a character in a half ton truck was pulled around backwards by a little trailer, unless she had driven into a tornado :-)
LT7A
Old 01-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #13
Renee

OK, that makes sense. When you're writing a story, you sometimes have to tweak things, so what if she had an older vintage truck, something like the photo here. And then what if the trailer and bull were heavier? A lot heavier?
Old 01-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #14
Renee

Old 01-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #15
Renee

I'm trying to paste the photo of a vintage Chevrolet Apache pick up but it's not working. I realize I'm in the wrong forum for this, too. but thanks for the advice.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:58 PM   #16
Renee

http://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/2...95%3B%2A%2C%2A
Old 01-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #17
LT7A

P.S. If you can add enough to the trailer that it outweighs the truck by 2x and there is inclement weather, you are getting closer to believable.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #18
LT7A

That's funny, I got a phone call as I finished my last post. So I took the call and then submitted the post. In the meantime you have gotten to right about the same idea. Those Apaches are beautiful trucks and are going to be quite capable. There are factors you can add if if the truck is somewhat worn out, the steering components are worn, the tires are worn, etc. And the heavier the trailer is, the more possible it is for it to push the truck around. I think you'll at least need wet weather and some winds if that's possible. Maybe she has a big old horse trailer, and she loads the bull up a ramp into the back? Maybe the rest of the trailer is full of other earthly belongings? if the trailer is loaded unevenly (weight to the back, not over the axle) it will be less stable. I'm not trying to jump in and write part of your book, haha. Just throwing around ideas.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #19
Renee

Those are all great ideas and I'm sure I could make it rain! What if a tire blew out?
Old 01-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #20
friscobob

If the mechanical bull weighed more then she would/could have problems loading and unloading it. A come-a-long would load it, unloading not so much.
friscobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:21 PM   #21
Renee

The bull comes apart in two pieces, and it takes two people to load it. Then there are inflatable bumpers and ring, a controller box, 2 heavy cables, a dolly, and other assorted stuff that goes with it.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:33 PM   #22
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
The bull comes apart in two pieces, and it takes two people to load it. Then there are inflatable bumpers and ring, a controller box, 2 heavy cables, a dolly, and other assorted stuff that goes with it.
Clearly you like to have detailed knowledge. Well done. Having a tire blow out would help a lot. Especially if she's going pretty fast. Should be one of the truck tires, not the trailer. Speed + weight + rain + blowout could turn into a wild ride for anybody.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:58 PM   #23
Renee

OK, then I think I have my scene! Thanks to all of you for your help. It's much appreciated.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #24
Keith Seymore

Also - if the tongue weight of the trailer is not set properly (ie, not enough, or if the load is too far rearward on the trailer) that can cause violent fishtailing even at low speeds.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:08 PM   #25
Renee

Wow, thank you. More good info to plan my scene. Thank you.