The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
White70C20

Post Camper Special or Custom Camper?

Name:  2012-10-23_17-39-11_741.jpg
Views: 5518
Size:  86.7 KBI recently got a 1970 C20. It is a 350/TH350. It is pretty plain except for the exterior trim and chrome bumper. It has heavy-duty springs and shocks. The side emblems say "Custom 20". I noticed on the options sticker on the glovebox lid that it has two camper options. Is my truck a Camper Special or Custom Camper, or just optioned that way?
Posted via Mobile Device
White70C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
whoryou1979

Re: Camper Special or Custom Camper?

Custom Camper. Camper Specials were produced by the other guys.
whoryou1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
White70C20

If it was a Custom Camper, wouldn't it say "Custom Camper" on the fender? Im wondering if maybe they just didn't order the complete package. What are those two camper related options on my option sheet?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
whoryou1979

To my knowledge, it should have the Custom Camper emblems on the fender if the original owner requested them. If not, it was standard to have the Custom Camper emblems on the doors.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Mayo
Cool Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoryou1979 View Post
To my knowledge, it should have the Custom Camper emblems on the fender if the original owner requested them. If not, it was standard to have the Custom Camper emblems on the doors.
I believe Custom Camper on the doors is 72 only
Posted via Mobile Device

Looking for a patina'd 68 50th Anniversary longbed
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
whoryou1979

Also, the camper wiring could be ordered seperately, without a Custom Camper package. Having said that, the other options I can see, coupled with the 'Name Plate' option, would make me think this was in fact a Custom Camper.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
sboris

Welcome from southern Ia. How about some pics of this bad boy. We like pics
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
SS Tim

Your SPID calls out for the Z84 Custom Camper name plate option. The truck had to have certain equipment levels to qualify for the option but it was a N/C option. Your truck being a '70 should have "Custom Camper/20" on the fenders. The 67-68 trucks had a fender emblem like the white truck that was not series specific. 69-71 used a different fender emblem that superseded the the series emblem with a "Custom Camper/XX" call out emblem like the gold truck. 72s used door call out script "Custom Camper" above the exterior door handle and kept the normal fender emblem for that series and trim level.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
1972RedNeck

Does your truck have leaves or coils? If leaf, does it have overloads? If so, could you post a few pictures of them.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
Does your truck have leaves or coils? If leaf, does it have overloads? If so, could you post a few pictures of them.
The SPID indicates G70 leafs but without the other half we can't se if it has the HD G50 springs or the G60 Helper Springs. As an aside the G60 helper springs were not offered on K20s but the HD G50s were.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
White70C20

Thanks! I'll put up pics tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #12
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Your SPID calls out for the Z84 Custom Camper name plate option. The truck had to have certain equipment levels to qualify for the option but it was a N/C option. Your truck being a '70 should have "Custom Camper/20" on the fenders. The 67-68 trucks had a fender emblem like the white truck that was not series specific. 69-71 used a different fender emblem that superseded the the series emblem with a "Custom Camper/XX" call out emblem like the gold truck. 72s used door call out script "Custom Camper" above the exterior door handle and kept the normal fender emblem for that series and trim level.
Ya just had to post "the one that got away" didn't ya...
Dang, that thing was nice.

Here is a pic of the 72-only (for chevs) Custom Camper nameplate for additional reference. (I believe it was on more than 72's for GMCs - back to 69 or 67-ish, don't recall exact yr)

And also - to Tim's point - pic #2 is a 71 Cheyenne Super that just happens to have the Custom Camper nameplate that supersedes the Cheyenne Super emblems.

And to add to the naming confusion - Chevy did eventually change to "Camper Special" nomenclature - 73 and up I think (not 100% on the year). Fords were Camper Specials pre-72 though. And to make it ever more confusing, some of the Chevy plants (72 and earlier) listed "Custom Camper" on the SPID as "Special Camper"... (even though it was still a Custom Camper thru 72). I believe Fremont did this fairly often.
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 10-23-2012 at 11:49 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #13
SS Tim

Yes... My masterful evil plan of having you buy the truck and putting your wood and buckets into it before deciding it was way too big then selling it to me for a huge loss didn't work! :-(

Would one of these have been a better choice? :-)
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #14
jocko

Ugh. the elusive northwestern Black over Orange Yeti. Whose/where, pray tell, is the light yeller 72?
Old 10-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #15
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Ugh. the elusive northwestern Black over Orange Yeti. Whose/where, pray tell, is the light yeller 72?
You mean this one? Ha... its a Cheyenne 30 Longhorn, light yellow with green buckets and a tach. Took me a year to even get a lead. No wait... that evil plan thing, don't worry about it. You want to buy a truck???
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #16
jocko

I thought we both didn't like light yellow.... If that's changing, then there's a goooood looking cheyenne custom camper in san dog for us. I'm just sayin.

Ha, I'm broke now, so gotta play the hand I dealt myself.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:34 AM   #17
darush01

I know that our years were custom campers but it was said that Chevy never made a camper special I had a 75 that had camper special emblem I will say it was Frankenstein because of a bad case of cancer and my dads supply of old trucks it was our wrecker for yrs I was just wondering if those emblems were stock
Posted via Mobile Device
darush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #18
SS Tim

As jocko posted up in #12 the name did change in '73 to "Camper Special" and added a "Trailer Special" package. They both had a distinctive badge on the door pillar with a gross weight rating for your friendly law enforcement officer.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #19
White70C20

Ok, here's the pictures I promised. Its gotta be one of the cleanest 70s scored for under 3 grand.

Notice the left "add-on" fuel door. It doesn't go anywhere. Any ideas?
Also, notice the trim and emblems. Does my truck look like a Custom Camper?

Name:  2012-10-25_17-35-36_414.jpg
Views: 5048
Size:  40.3 KB

Name:  2012-10-25_17-36-13_676.jpg
Views: 5048
Size:  15.5 KB

Name:  2012-10-25_17-34-57_190.jpg
Views: 4905
Size:  103.9 KB

Name:  2012-10-25_17-36-00_606.jpg
Views: 5337
Size:  51.2 KB
Posted via Mobile Device

1970 Blue C20 - 250, 4 speed
1985 Ford Thunderbird
2005 Pontiac G6
Old 10-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #20
SS Tim

Looks like a good project truck. The bed has added fuel tank doors on both sides. These were to access the fillers of very common saddle tanks added to the truck and then removed at some point. They ran about 20 gal. a side, so think what it would have cost to fill your truck 3x. Plus if you don't drive it a lot the gas goes bad. Often the tanks are not used or removed all together. Or if your bed has been changed they may have been on the donor truck. Most often the fuel transfer valve is mounted to the floor between the seat track and the driver's
door sill.Might want to check into that for mods. that should be corrected.

The lack of Custom Camper/20 emblems could have several explanations. They may have been broken and replaced with easier to find custom badges. Since your truck was apparently repainted the fenders may be replacements from another truck. Or lastly if these can be disproved it might with the slightest possible chance been a miss build with the wrong emblems.
With some more pictures we might be able to go further with this, just depends on where you want to go.

But one thing you need to do is clean up the wiring and try to reduce the rubber in the fuel line as much as possible. Under hood fires can do a lot of damage.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #21
SS Tim

To further elaborate. There was no specific "Look" for a "Custom Camper" truck it was a nameplate/emblem only option on any trim level truck. It had to be ordered as a seperate RPO and the trucks had to have model specific equipment to qualify for it.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #22
White70C20

Quote:
Looks like a good project truck.

But one thing you need to do is clean up the wiring and try to reduce the rubber in the fuel line as much as possible. Under hood fires can do a lot of damage.
Thanks! I really like it.

How would you suggest I lessen the amount of rubber fuel line? I like having that little auxiliary filter in-line (gives it a cool look). Also, if I get some zip ties to bundle up the wires, will that take care of that problem? I never really gave it much thought, so its nice to have a second opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

1970 Blue C20 - 250, 4 speed
1985 Ford Thunderbird
2005 Pontiac G6
Old 10-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #23
jocko

Quote:
Looks like a good project truck. The bed has added fuel tank doors on both sides. These were to access the fillers of very common saddle tanks added to the truck and then removed at some point. They ran about 20 gal. a side, so think what it would have cost to fill your truck 3x. Plus if you don't drive it a lot the gas goes bad. Often the tanks are not used or removed all together. Or if your bed has been changed they may have been on the donor truck. Most often the fuel transfer valve is mounted to the floor between the seat track and the driver's
door sill.Might want to check into that for mods. that should be corrected.

The lack of Custom Camper/20 emblems could have several explanations. They may have been broken and replaced with easier to find custom badges. Since your truck was apparently repainted the fenders may be replacements from another truck. Or lastly if these can be disproved it might with the slightest possible chance been a miss build with the wrong emblems.
With some more pictures we might be able to go further with this, just depends on where you want to go.

Any idea if the Custom/20 and CustomCamper/20 emblems used the same mounting pin spacing (i.e. even though the Custom Camper/20 emblem is obviously longer - does it use the same spacing on the mounting holes? ala interchangeable?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #24
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by White70C20 View Post
Thanks! I really like it.

How would you suggest I lessen the amount of rubber fuel line? I like having that little auxiliary filter in-line (gives it a cool look). Also, if I get some zip ties to bundle up the wires, will that take care of that problem? I never really gave it much thought, so its nice to have a second opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
OK, Please understand I'm trying to be helpful ant critical. As a whole there are a lot of underhood issues. The good news is they are probably easily correctable. Its temping to say "it runs, why?". Well to make it reliable. Sorting wires in the dark is no fun! A fuel leak can ruin your whole day.
As to fixing the line. Filters are great and on old trucks with rusty tanks a necessity. The trick is placing them so they will not be damaged and minimize the rubber line. Since you are running a replacement carb. a reproduction line is not an exact fit but might get you real close. If you are not comfortable bending up a hard line that runs all the way up to the filer's location a reproduction might be the way to go. As your line is cut down in front there is no protection for the rubber thus good reason to extend the hard line to the filter then use a short connector to the filter. Depending on how much distance there is to the inlet use hose or another metal line if it can be attached to the inlet fitting.
Really all the underhood wires need to be addressed one at a time, evaluated and corrected. Just tie wrapping everything isn't going to help much. Specifically the added wires for the electric choke and that wire nut are at the top of my list. Where does the big loopy red wire go to?
The plug wires need to be routed away from the headers and some looms would really help. The vacuum line could be shortened to stay inside the valve covers to keep from burning too. Now granted this is from one picture and a small one. Maybe things look better in person. But spending the time and a little money to sort it will pay off. We want you happy with your truck!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #25
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Any idea if the Custom/20 and CustomCamper/20 emblems used the same mounting pin spacing (i.e. even though the Custom Camper/20 emblem is obviously longer - does it use the same spacing on the mounting holes? ala interchangeable?
IDK..... anyone???