The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
BigCountryx

Name that part.....

I'm sure this is an easy one for most of you guys, but what in the world are these things? I've searched with no answer that I could find. This is on my 70. The thing on the firewall looks like some kind of relay, but for what? Best I can tell, there is a red wire that comes from inside the cab and goes to this relay thing. A black wire comes from the 2/3rd gear yoke on the trans (3 speed saginaw) and goes straight to that thing in the second pic. Then there's a blue and a green wire off of the relay thing, the blue is the other wire to the second pic and the green goes to the temp sensor on the therm housing, clear as mud huh. The piece in the second pic has a vac line from under the carb, it's mounted to the intake manifold and it's attached to some apparatus on the exhaust manifold.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Name that part.....

Anti desialing stuff. Early goverment way to get the smog rules on the trucks.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
SS Tim

Re: Name that part.....

That would be the transmission controlled spark system. Best bet is to take a look in section 6T of the factory service manual for a complete explanation of it's operation. If you don't have the manuals you can download some useable copies at the link in my signature.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
SS Tim

Actually it has nothing to do with dieseling prevention. It is a spark advance inhibition system. There is also a technician's pocket service publication with some great details if you can find a copy, titled "NEW CHEVROLET EMISSION-CONTROL SYSTEMS" CC-69-12-10.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
TacBlade

I just asked this same question a couple of months ago? I ended up thinking it has something to do with the emissions? Mine does not have any wired going to it, completely useless! Of course I have a 383 stroker in my truck now, so whatever it was, it is not needed. Here is the link to my question.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=597270
TacBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
BigCountryx

Cool, thanks. It appears mine isn't hooked up right anyway. The vac advance on my distributer is not hooked up to the solenoid, but directly to carb vac. Looks like I've got an engine bay cleanup project on the list. No reason this would hurt anything if it was relocated to the trash can.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountryx View Post
Cool, thanks. It appears mine isn't hooked up right anyway. The vac advance on my distributer is not hooked up to the solenoid, but directly to carb vac. Looks like I've got an engine bay cleanup project on the list. No reason this would hurt anything if it was relocated to the trash can.

I wouldn't necessarily throw it away. Put it up on the parts board for a few bucks first and see what happens...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
smoked68

Thats the presidential advancement inhibitor, do not remove it, it does nothing but cost you more and more money, you will need to repace it every few months and all the data it spouts back at you is erronious at best and in reality it will just basically lie to you... but itll blame its failures on other parts..
4 bolt 383 Stroker,Weiand Super Charger, disc brakes, 9 inch, 391 gear, 20" Eagle wheels, muncie 4 speed/ Hurst shifter, 4/7 drop, Hedman midlengths, 3 inch exhaust w/ 2 chamber flows. 1966 Mustang with 306 roller, c-4, 9 inch Detroit locker rear. 1965 Fastback Mustang w/347 stroker, top loader 4spd, 9 inch detroit locker. 1966 Mustang coup, 306 roller, c4, 9 inch. 65 Cobra, 427, T6oo, 9inch, of course. First gen Hayabusa, airbox mod and running 2 exhaust cams.. Zoom Zoom Zoom
smoked68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
BigCountryx

Baaahahahahahaha
Old 11-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
JointTech

hahahah. doesnt get political here very often.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
Sklptrljay

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoked68 View Post
Thats the presidential advancement inhibitor, do not remove it, it does nothing but cost you more and more money, you will need to repace it every few months and all the data it spouts back at you is erronious at best and in reality it will just basically lie to you... but itll blame its failures on other parts..
On the contrary, I'm all for removing the President(ial) advancement inhibitor. They claim to be American made, but turns out it's a foreign piece of junk. They have never actually worked, in fact it's really a drain on the entire vehicles system. Your truck would be a lot better off if you just stayed on a conservative path, and get rid of it.
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklptrljay View Post
On the contrary, I'm all for removing the President(ial) advancement inhibitor. They claim to be American made, but turns out it's a foreign piece of junk. They have never actually worked, in fact it's really a drain on the entire vehicles system. Your truck would be a lot better off if you just stayed on a conservative path, and get rid of it.
Well, they've had 'em on every model year for many years back. In fact, as much as they changed them out for one reason or another,
they all seem to be pretty much the same. If you read the box before you install them, the box almost always says that they add efficiency.
But when you put 'em under the hood, you find out it's just more added weight.

People that don't like the current part number usually don't always seem to remember the previous recalls and accidents that were caused by
the last group of broken OEM parts they sent us.

Of course, they are all really the same. No real purpose. And, all just add a lot of cost. And very little value. Like it or not, there's nothing
new with the latest castings.
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #13
Sklptrljay

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
Well, they've had 'em on every model year for many years back. In fact, as much as they changed them out for one reason or another,
they all seem to be pretty much the same. If you read the box before you install them, the box almost always says that they add efficiency.
But when you put 'em under the hood, you find out it's just more added weight.

People that don't like the current part number usually don't always seem to remember the previous recalls and accidents that were caused by
the last group of broken OEM parts they sent us.

Of course, they are all really the same. No real purpose. And, all just add a lot of cost. And very little value. Like it or not, there's nothing
new with the latest castings.
.....touche'
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I wouldn't necessarily throw it away. Put it up on the parts board for a few bucks first and see what happens...

LockDoc
Have to agree with Leon very strongly on this. Please don't just toss them. Offer them up on the parts board at a nominal price or even free for the ride. There are likely people looking for parts that they will not find at the bottom of your trash can.
Really this goes for anybody pulling nice stock bits during a modifed build.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #15
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Transmission Controlled Spark, as SS Tim said.

It doesn't allow vacuum advance until the vehicle is in high gear. This also reduces NOX emissions. Yours also appears to have the thermal vacuum switch, which will not allow vacuum advance even in high gear unless the engine coolant is above a predetermined temperature. The engine warms up quicker with no vacuum advance, gets off the choke quicker, meaning higher efficiency.

If it works right, it doesn't really affect drivability.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #16
BigCountryx

Well damn. U make me want to get it operable.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #17
quick60

Depending on where he lives could removing it could affect its ability to pass state inspection? Just asking.
quick60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #18
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick60 View Post
Depending on where he lives could removing it could affect its ability to pass state inspection? Just asking.
That depends on the state. In California, '75 and older vehicles are exempt from the biennial emissions inspection. So, you can pretty much do what you want, here.

Also, we don't have annual safety inspections like you see in the snow states. Probably should, some of the rolling wrecks I see around would be off the road.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote