The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
ljackson

stock throttle cable on a '64?

Did the factory install throttle cables in some trucks. I mean a cable mounted in the dash that goes to the carb to help with cold weather starting. I've been searching here without finding anything. I have a choke cable in my truck. No hole in the dash for the throttle.

http://zacks64longfleet.shutterfly.com/

Higher res. photos in my gallery.

Last edited by ljackson; 01-29-2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: spelling
ljackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: stock throttle cable on a '64?

Referring to the following thread, it would appear cable style pedals were not original equipment in C10's until 1971:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=lfd+adapter
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
ljackson

Re: stock hand operated throttle cable on a '64?

Thanks for the reply markeb01. I need to better explain. I am wondering about a hand operated cable that runs from the dash to the carb linkage. It is used to increase the idle when the engine is started during cold weather. My dad has a '61 IH truck. When you start it when the weather is cold, you pull the choke cable a little, pull the throttle a little, then you get out of the truck and let it run until the engine warms up. I have found repop cable with knobs for the 60-63 but only the choke knob for the 64. Did the factory offer the throttle cable as an option in the 1964 trucks? I want to keep my truck as stock appearing as I can. I do not want to drill a hole in my dash to install a cable if it was not a factory option. I have looked at the many factory/stock threads here and have not found anything about it. Sorry that my question was not clear in what I was asking in the 1st attempt.
http://www.classicparts.com/images/29-363.JPG
60-63 throttle cable with knob

My dash before restore (original truck, no throttle cable)

Last edited by ljackson; 01-30-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
tincan1966

I may be totally incorrect, but am thinking the throttle cable(dash mount, hand operated) was mostly on 30 series on up that had a PTO driven off of trans. Seems that's about the only place I've seen them.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

The newest vehicles I've ever owned with separate throttle and choke cables were 1946-48 Chevy passenger cars. To the best of my knowledge this feature was provided because the original carburetor didn’t have fast idle linkage, requiring the driver to manually control both engine speed and choke setting when starting the engine.

Our 1960 GMC was dead stock when we bought it and it did not have a throttle cable, and I’ve never seen one in any other 60-66 (which doesn’t prove anything). I also went through the 1960 GMC Operators Manual and it doesn’t show or mention a throttle cable, but it does not provide any information about a PTO either.

Hopefully someone with direct experience can resolve your question.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
ljackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
The newest vehicles I've ever owned with separate throttle and choke cables were 1946-48 Chevy passenger cars. To the best of my knowledge this feature was provided because the original carburetor didn’t have fast idle linkage, requiring the driver to manually control both engine speed and choke setting when starting the engine.

Our 1960 GMC was dead stock when we bought it and it did not have a throttle cable, and I’ve never seen one in any other 60-66 (which doesn’t prove anything). I also went through the 1960 GMC Operators Manual and it doesn’t show or mention a throttle cable, but it does not provide any information about a PTO either.

Hopefully someone with direct experience can resolve your question.
I don't know if the original carb, that I am using, had the fast idle linkage. I will look. Maybe it does not need a hand throttle.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
allaboutchevelles

my truck is a 64 C10. It came from the factory with a I6 and 3 on the tree and it has the manual choke cable beside the lights or windsheild wiper switches.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

I have one of each but neither are connected.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
ljackson

Thanks to all for your replies. markeb01’s comments in post #6 reminded me to check the carburetor for fast idle linkage and cam that is operated by the choke cable. The original carburetor, Rochester 2 barrel, 2GC has the linkage and cam. If it works like it is designed, a throttle cable is not needed. So the ’64 C 10 did not have a throttle cable. I am still not sure about the 65’ and ’66. I don’t think they would have had it either.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
1963c-10

I believe it was a 60-63 option. It is in the 63 accessory manual for all trucks. Was placed in the space to the left of the ignition.
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
ljackson

Thanks 1963c-10.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Rich909

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljackson View Post
Did the factory install throttle cables in some trucks. I mean a cable mounted in the dash that goes to the carb to help with cold weather starting. I've been searching here without finding anything. I have a choke cable in my truck. No hole in the dash for the throttle.
I realize this is kind of an old thread but a hand throttle is often a useful accessory. I don't believe it was a factory option, but it surely could have been available as a dealer added item.

I added a hand throttle to my 65 Chev C-10, which has a 292 6-Cyl by using the hole for the cigarette lighter. Hook up for V-8's will be different, but a similar technique may work for them as well.

I used the 60-63 throttle cable, available from Classic Industries (and others) that you were considering. The only other hardware required was 2 3/8" flat washers that I picked up at Home Depot. With the assembly mounted in the dash I fed the cable through the existing grommeted hole in the firewall to the engine bay, which is almost a perfectly straight run to the throttle linkage. The best part is that the hand-throttle is all quickly removable and no permanent modifications were made. I have included some photos to show the details.

The second photo in the engine compartment shows the throttle cable, which clears the bottom of the stock 'dry element' air cleaner by 1/2" or more. I normally only use the small chrome air cleaner when working on the engine, since the stock one makes it hard see stuff and to make adjustments. I pulled the knob and wire out of the cable housing and cut 40" from the cable end. That left the cable housing long enough so that 7.5" of the housing extended through the firewall. The wire attached to the bell-crank on the throttle linkage at the return spring attachment.

In operation, when you pull the throttle knob you can feel the gas pedal being depressed as well. Rotating the knob to the left locks it in the current position. Rotating it to the right releases it. Pressing on the gas pedal overrides the hand throttle, and engine speed returns to the throttle setting when the pedal is released. It works well for warm-ups when you need more idle speed without having to use as much choke.

--Rich
Attached Images

Rich909 is offline   Reply With Quote