The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
89ChevySS

89 low budget 350SS

I've been working on an 89 Chevy C1500 for a few months now, so I figured I'd put up the build, since I joined the forum. The truck was a 4.3v6 with the 5spd and 3.42 rear. Bought the truck for $200 because the body was really banged up, and the motor was bad. It was a local scout camp truck, and they beat the s**t out of it. I was going to rebuild the motor, but about a week after purchasing it my father totaled his 95 GMC 4x4 with a 350. he put a Jasper remanufactured engine in the truck only a few years ago, and he only put about 30,000 miles on it since. So he told me I could have the engine if I wanted it. I got the engine in last weekend, and have most of the body work up front done. I'm hoping to get the electrical work done tomorrow, and mabey even see if I can get it started. Made an open element filter today out of two lids, but then got busy with other things. I have the interior work mostly done, new carpet, and found a nice set of bucket seats, but still have to wire in the radio and get the new steering wheel installed. Its late, and I don't have any pictures on the computer, but I'll make sure to upload some tomorrow.
89 Chevy C1500 Converting to 350, 5spd, 3.42 rear (current project, almost completed)
89ChevySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
jb1016
"Oh well, it's a driver."

Re: 89 low budget 350SS

Cool, I'm in. Sounds like a great project, and my kind of budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Petty
I don't know, but I've been told: You never slow down, you never grow old.
jb1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
89ChevySS

So heres an update with some pics, got it running last night, has plenty of power . It looks alot dirtier in the pictures than it is, but it really does need cleaned up. Im doing this really low budget for two reasons, one is because Im in college and have no money, and two is because a couple friends and I have a bet on who can make the fastest car for under $1000. right now ive only spend around 300, so im doing pretty good.

I still need to finish exhaust, have aftermarket y pipe & cat, need muffler and some pipe. Im planning on putting a three in thrush glasspack on, and then running the exhaust out the side right before the rear tire. And Im thinking of making a cowl induction hood, since Im ok with the welder. You can see the open element I made in the pics, its not quite done yet, still have to cut the top lid, and Im hoping to get the vacuum/ crang filter lines done this afternoon. The pics arent great, but ill get some better ones this afternoon when I pull it out of the garage.

Ohh, and I forgot, the interior was completely clean like a month ago, but its really dusty in the garage, cant believe haw messy it got. Going to have to clean it out this week.
Attached Images

89 Chevy C1500 Converting to 350, 5spd, 3.42 rear (current project, almost completed)

Last edited by 89ChevySS; 10-08-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 10-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
75ChevyGuy
GM Parts Guy

Truck looks clean for its age. How is it with the 5 spd behind it?
75ChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
89ChevySS

Sorry it took me awhile to get back online. But anyway, truck is running great. I have the bed off, and got the front primered and cab corners welded in. Also got a rad shroud in, and got the engine compartment cleaned up. Im at school now so cant post any pics, but I'll get some up soon. To answer your question, it works well with the 5spd, took it for a short ride down our road this weekend. First gear is a little low, but not too bad, it seems to top out in 1st at about 20-25. Definately has enough power for a driver, I can start out in first gear without using the gas if i let the clutch slip a little. Ony mods engine/drivetrain wise are ultimate TBI mods, homeade open element with cowl hood, aftermarket Y pipe and cat(unsure of brand, father put it on his truck, but couldnt remember what it is), a thrush glasspack, an aftermarket clutch that I found overhead the garage, but we have no clue where it came from, and a carbon fiber driveshaft which was on the truck when I got it. I dont have a tailpipe yet, but I plan on running the exhaust out the side right before the passenger side rear wheel. Im going to try putting the v8 computer in the truck, and if that dosent solve the minor issues im having then ill have a chip made. Right now it still has v6 comp, and the engine light stays on, and it starts a little hard(have to pump gas petal for it to fire) Which you never had to do when the engine was in previous vehicle, it would fire and run as soon as the key was turned. I borrowed a scanner to plug in to check codes, but havent tried it yet, and hope to check codes/swap computer this week. Only other problem is that I think the rear may have been swaped at one time, because code in the glovebox said it has a posi, but only one tire spun when I got on the gas. so I may take the cover off the rear and see what it actually is. I have a 3.73 rear that would fit, and I know is a posi, but I dont think I want to go that low of a ratio.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
89ChevySS

Ok, I hope its ok that Im double posting, but Ive got a few updates. Got the truck painted, took it for a short ride up the road. Neibor is working on a truck as well, and wanted to see how much power I had, so we did an acceleration test Smoked the tires for 312feet. Dosent have the bed on it, but Im thinking that thats still pretty good considering it still needs the computer swapped, and I havent finished my intake mods quite yet.

Tried to upload some pics, but its not letting me at the moment so Ill try again later.