The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #1
5speed96

'96 Cheyenne RCSB

Hey guys, I'm Matt and I drive a '96 Cheyenne. This is my second vehicle, and I plan to keep this truck as long as possible. It has the 4.3 with a 5 speed. (I'd love to do a LS swap) This is definitely a budget minded build. I'm 16, so I don't have tons of cash to dump in this truck, but I think if I put cash into the right areas it will pay off. Since I'm 16 I will have help from my dad occasionally, but I do plan to do most of the work myself. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow. I do have plans for this truck. Trying to give the truck a nickname, but can't think of one. Give me some ideas. I'd like something with some humor. I was thinking red rocket maybe? I don't know.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
98Murray

Re: '96 Cheyenne RCSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speed96 View Post
Hey guys, I'm Matt and I drive a '96 Cheyenne. This is my second vehicle, and I plan to keep this truck as long as possible. It has the 4.3 with a 5 speed. (I'd love to do a LS swap) This is definitely a budget minded build. I'm 16, so I don't have tons of cash to dump in this truck, but I think if I put cash into the right areas it will pay off. Since I'm 16 I will have help from my dad occasionally, but I do plan to do most of the work myself. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow. I do have plans for this truck. Trying to give the truck a nickname, but can't think of one. Give me some ideas. I'd like something with some humor. I was thinking red rocket maybe? I don't know.
Hi Matt! Welcome to the forum! I'm also Matt lol I'm 17 and I have a '97 Cheyenne 1 ton Dually project. Not sure on a nickname, I never been good with names lol but I can't wait to see some pics of your ride!
98Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
5speed96

Here's a pic of when I got it. I do have a set of rally wheels I'm gonna throw on.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2015, 07:54 PM   #4
98Murray

Nice! That's gonna look good with rally wheels.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #5
Longmire85

Nice looking rig Matt! This is how we name our rigs, and maybe it will help you name yours. We generally pick something that has to do with either where it was bought, who is bought from, or a funny part of the story when buying it. For example, we picked up a bagged 84 Custom Deluxe in Kansas - her name became the "Kansas City Slammer." Another truck of ours was bought from a guy, who made a comment to another truck guy about his artificial patina on his 52. The guy with the 52 was explaining how he did it and that he thought it looked good. The guy told him to bring it to the next show and said "Let me be the judge of that." We thought it was a kind of a douche thing to say, so when we acquired his truck, its name became "The Judge." I had a 85 Silverado I purchased from an older Hispanic guy. He introduced himself to me when we went to check out the truck. His speech was a little slurred and I thought I heard him say "Whats up man, my name is Burrito." I walked over to my brother and quietly asked, "Surely his name isn't Burrito right?" My brother corrected me said his name was "Margarito." I said "Thanks bro, because I was seriously about to walk off and call this guy Burrito, which would be weird and a tad racists lol." So, after loading it on a trailer we headed home and I was pondering names for the truck. My brother said that her name shall be "Burrito." So there you go, maybe that helps you come up with a name lol.
Longmire85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:31 PM   #6
5speed96

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Murray View Post
Nice! That's gonna look good with rally wheels.
Thanks man!! Appreciate it!!
Old 01-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #7
5speed96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longmire85 View Post
Nice looking rig Matt! This is how we name our rigs, and maybe it will help you name yours. We generally pick something that has to do with either where it was bought, who is bought from, or a funny part of the story when buying it. For example, we picked up a bagged 84 Custom Deluxe in Kansas - her name became the "Kansas City Slammer." Another truck of ours was bought from a guy, who made a comment to another truck guy about his artificial patina on his 52. The guy with the 52 was explaining how he did it and that he thought it looked good. The guy told him to bring it to the next show and said "Let me be the judge of that." We thought it was a kind of a douche thing to say, so when we acquired his truck, its name became "The Judge." I had a 85 Silverado I purchased from an older Hispanic guy. He introduced himself to me when we went to check out the truck. His speech was a little slurred and I thought I heard him say "Whats up man, my name is Burrito." I walked over to my brother and quietly asked, "Surely his name isn't Burrito right?" My brother corrected me said his name was "Margarito." I said "Thanks bro, because I was seriously about to walk off and call this guy Burrito, which would be weird and a tad racists lol." So, after loading it on a trailer we headed home and I was pondering names for the truck. My brother said that her name shall be "Burrito." So there you go, maybe that helps you come up with a name lol.
Thanks man!! That's awesome! Thanks for the idea! Burrito lol
Old 01-09-2015, 06:36 PM   #8
5speed96

Got the rally wheels on, and gave her a bath! Now she just needs an altitude adjustment! I'm thinking a 2/4 drop, I don't feel like putting a notch in. I'm kinda lazy. Lol
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2015, 01:44 AM   #9
Cape Codder

Looks good ,but not really red but more of a Ruby so Ruby is my choice. Just some advice from an old timer. at 17 I did the motor swap with the first couple cars I owned and beat them to death. If the 4.3 runs good I would leave it for now and put your money one making it look the way you want it. Horsepower increases at your age will result in big tire expenses and probably a couple broken drive train parts. Horsepower also seems to attract the law for younger drivers. At 62 years old I have figured out if I own a vehicle that will roast tires I will get myself in trouble. How much self control do you have? I had use of a Corvette for a year due to the owner loosing his license, I found myself doing 100 mph in a 40 zone one night and gave it back to him before I got in trouble. I am wheeling a very similar truck as you and find the 4.3 has plenty of pep but not enough to get stupid with.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #10
5speed96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Looks good ,but not really red but more of a Ruby so Ruby is my choice. Just some advice from an old timer. at 17 I did the motor swap with the first couple cars I owned and beat them to death. If the 4.3 runs good I would leave it for now and put your money one making it look the way you want it. Horsepower increases at your age will result in big tire expenses and probably a couple broken drive train parts. Horsepower also seems to attract the law for younger drivers. At 62 years old I have figured out if I own a vehicle that will roast tires I will get myself in trouble. How much self control do you have? I had use of a Corvette for a year due to the owner loosing his license, I found myself doing 100 mph in a 40 zone one night and gave it back to him before I got in trouble. I am wheeling a very similar truck as you and find the 4.3 has plenty of pep but not enough to get stupid with.
Ruby! I like it! Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!
Old 01-11-2015, 07:04 PM   #11
5speed96

I picked up Grant Formula GT steering wheel. The installation kit I needed (for the 95-98 style column) was on backorder so I bought an installation kit for an older style column. (88-94 style column) I had to modify it a bit but I think it came out pretty good IMO.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #12
5speed96

I was searching around on eBay one night and found a SLP truck shifter. It was for a 5 speed 99-06 Silverado/Sierra. It was only $60 so I started to do some research. According to the internet those trucks had the nv3500 transmission too. So I bought it. It came with a white 5 speed hurst knob as well. It went on with no modification at all. These things are discontinued so I guess I was pretty lucky to find it.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #13
5speed96

My truck came stock with a bench, but as you might be able to tell from the other pics its no longer in the truck.
Name:  100_0762[1].jpg
Views: 842
Size:  27.1 KB
Me and my dad went to a local truck salvage and scored some buckets and a console out of a Tahoe. The seats aren't perfect but theres no tears. They do need to be cleaned up a bit though.
Name:  100_0750[1].jpg
Views: 871
Size:  36.2 KB
I was even able to wire up the driver side power seat. I love these buckets they're freaking awesome.
Name:  100_0751[1].jpg
Views: 832
Size:  36.3 KB
Name:  100_0754[1].jpg
Views: 843
Size:  45.8 KB
Name:  100_0755[1].jpg
Views: 837
Size:  37.0 KB
Old 01-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #14
5speed96

The console isnt bolted down yet and the drivers seat was scooted all the way up that's why the seats/console may look kinda crooked or not in their normal spot.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #15
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Nice work
killthewabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:03 PM   #16
98Murray

Looks good! I like that shifter
Old 01-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #17
Eric15chevys

I love the truck. Great project. I have had several and have a 94 4.3 5 speed right now. I keep wanting to change it out to my 5.3 that I have in the garage for my 62 chevy. The problem is even the 4.8 would really push the limits of the nv3500. I bought mine to get me back and forth to work so I can play with my 62 and 84 trucks. If this one is going to be your toy I would look hard for a 4.8 and run it unitl the trans blows. Look into Novak conversions. They have a really slick flywheel that makes the swap much less of a guess. I have a lot of other info on this swap since I did one last year and have been looking for my 94. Oh I like your old bench seat do you have any plans for it?
from 1960 to 2000

Last edited by Eric15chevys; 01-17-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Eric15chevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:21 PM   #18
5speed96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric15chevys View Post
I love the truck. Great project. I have had several and have a 94 4.3 5 speed right now. I keep wanting to change it out to my 5.3 that I have in the garage for my 62 chevy. The problem is even the 4.8 would really push the limits of the nv3500. I bought mine to get me back and forth to work so I can play with my 62 and 84 trucks. If this one is going to be your toy I would look hard for a 4.8 and run it unitl the trans blows. Look into Novak conversions. They have a really slick flywheel that makes the swap much less of a guess. I have a lot of other info on this swap since I did one last year and have been looking for my 94. Oh I like your old bench seat do you have any plans for it?
Thanks man! I don't have any plans for the bench I'll sell it if anyone wants it I guess.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #19
5speed96

I did a few more things to the truck. I put a flowmaster 40 series on it. Single into dual dumps right after the rear axle. Sounds pretty good for a V6. Also installed a overhead console out of a Tahoe I found at a salvage. I also put in a cb/pa. I put it in my console cause I didn't want to drill holes in my dash. I will be taking the cb antenna off cause I rarely use the cb I mainly just use the pa. And the antenna looks kinda goofy.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #20
OutlawDrifter

looking good. i plan on doing an overhead console in my rcsb as well. it will make a nice place to mount my manual e-fan switch and a fog light switch.

definitely a sharp looking pickup with the painted rallies!

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:43 PM   #21
5speed96

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter View Post
looking good. i plan on doing an overhead console in my rcsb as well. it will make a nice place to mount my manual e-fan switch and a fog light switch.

definitely a sharp looking pickup with the painted rallies!
Thanks man!
Old 04-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #22
5speed96

I decided to remove all the trim. After 5 hours of finger blistering work, all the trim is off. I ordered a roll pan and installed it. Next on the list is colormatched bumper and grille. Also gave the truck a bath and cleaned up the interior a little bit.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #23
Black98

Looks good with the roll pan. Where did you get it? Is it the steel version? Any fitment issues?
Black98 is offline   Reply With Quote