The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #26
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: I need some advice on Roll cage fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohn6 View Post
...I am just a beginner at installing a roll cage and I am learning.
...I did my due diligence in researching this and this is the end result I came up with. Why would you assume it would be a "poorly constructed roll cage"? I don't appreciate your pretentious attitude. I know how to weld and fabricate so I take that comment as an insult. I am certain my cage will pass inspection...
Lots of contradicting statements. You say you did your due diligence, but you don't know what the wall thickness of the tubing specs out at? You're using EWS tubing, but didn't confirm with other sactioning bodies if it is permitted? You say you're following the rules, but thinking of installing tubing that is prohibited in the NHRA rules...and you haven't/didn't want to buy a rulebook? A poorly constructed roll cage, chassis, or any structural component is not just about the welding and fabrication...it's primarily the materials used. As an inspector, I've seen people try to sneak exhaust tubing by that was welded in beautifully, but it doesn't make the structure less poorly constructed if the welds were terrible. The reason I'm not very tolerant of these approaches to safety equipment at the track is this does not only endanger the driver of the questionable vehicle, it endangers other drivers at the track. I'm glad you take my comments as an insult, because if it helps you get on the right track, then my comments helped enhance your safety and the safety of others. Get to know your divisional chassis inspector and talk with him about what you are trying to do.

I believe Steve Brown (770-981-0348) in Georgia; or Harry Ferrari (757-537-2763) in Virginia are closest to you. Strike up a conversation and start a relationship with one of them.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #27
AJohn6
Knuckle head

I appreciate your concern and if you weren't so quick to point the finger at how screwed up I am you would have seen that I did download an IHRA rule book, which is the sanctioning body for the track I would run at. I never said I did not know the wall thickness, you never asked if I knew it. The cage is 1.625" OD and 0.134" wall thickness which is thick enough to pass tech according to my rule book.

-Adam

'71 SWB/Step http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=291750
2017 Crew Cab Silverado LTZ with 6.2l, 8 Speed tuned by RPM in Garner, NC
'00 Chevy 1500 6.0l Silverado Reg. Cab Short Bed
'09 Chevy 1500 5.3l Silverado Crew Cab Short Bed (SOLD)
1971 LWB on 2014 1 ton chassis, L96 6.0LS / 6L90E http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=796785
1969 LWB C10- Future project, possible AWD C10 on a 2002 Escalade Chassis.

AJohn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #28
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohn6 View Post
...if you weren't so quick to point the finger at how screwed up I am...
I never came close to pointing any fingers or saying you were screwed up...what post did you infer that? I've only stated facts that you should be aware of in this type of venture...I don't care enough about your or your project to have an attitude one way or the other. Remember, you asked for advice on a classic truck forum about a regulated, certified, and spec'd structural component of racing. If you can't handle the rules and regulations, that's your personal issue. My initial post was to help you save money and aggravation with regard to inconsistencies in wall thickness of tubing that I continue to deal with in my chassis building business. Do what you want...I'm done.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #29
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Damn guys, this went south.

Adam, I don't know anything about you, but Vin and Marv come highly highly regarded on here in the drag racing and high performance areas. We're all pretty lucky to have their level of experience ready to access, most forums don't get that. Most of us have had to go through the learning process, and most are still learning; theirs nothing wrong with needing to ask a question, and nothing wrong with being wrong....how else are you going to be right if you don't know when your wrong?

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #30
AJohn6
Knuckle head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Damn guys, this went south.

Adam, I don't know anything about you, but Vin and Marv come highly highly regarded on here in the drag racing and high performance areas. We're all pretty lucky to have their level of experience ready to access, most forums don't get that. Most of us have had to go through the learning process, and most are still learning; theirs nothing wrong with needing to ask a question, and nothing wrong with being wrong....how else are you going to be right if you don't know when your wrong?
Yes I agree this did go south. I mean no disrespect towards Marv D, he has been nothing but helpful and respectful. This forum is incredible and nearly everyone on it has been more than helpful and respectful. I appreciate Vin63's advice but do not like how he assumed my build would be of poor quality, and unsafe, but most of all his overall attitude towards me. I have talked to the IHRA regional tech director who put me in touch with a local inspector who confirmed that my roll cage made of 1 5/8", 0.134 wall, EWS mild steel is allowed for cars running 8.50 ET and slower. If anyone is questioning this please download the 2013 IHRA rulebook and read through pages 90-95 (http://www.ihra.com/OnlineRulebook/).

-Adam

'71 SWB/Step http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=291750
2017 Crew Cab Silverado LTZ with 6.2l, 8 Speed tuned by RPM in Garner, NC
'00 Chevy 1500 6.0l Silverado Reg. Cab Short Bed
'09 Chevy 1500 5.3l Silverado Crew Cab Short Bed (SOLD)
1971 LWB on 2014 1 ton chassis, L96 6.0LS / 6L90E http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=796785
1969 LWB C10- Future project, possible AWD C10 on a 2002 Escalade Chassis.

AJohn6 is offline   Reply With Quote