The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2010, 12:07 AM   #1151
russellmarling

Re: LFD's low buck truck build!

Don't rule out your optispark as the problem. Problems with the cheap aftermarket units on the LT1s are very common even when they're new. Try a GM unit if the budget allows. When these cars come into my repair shop I generally get a replacement from the chevy dealer to prevent this kind of problem. Just something to consider. Don't give up. That tahoe is entirely too awesome to steal parts from. (Although the truck is awesome too) -Russ
'82 Yamaha Seca XJ650R Turbo!
'04 Yamaha FZ6
russellmarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #1152
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmarling View Post
Don't rule out your optispark as the problem. Problems with the cheap aftermarket units on the LT1s are very common even when they're new. Try a GM unit if the budget allows. When these cars come into my repair shop I generally get a replacement from the chevy dealer to prevent this kind of problem. Just something to consider. Don't give up. That tahoe is entirely too awesome to steal parts from. (Although the truck is awesome too) -Russ
Thanks Russ the one I got is the same as the GM performance unit down to the packaging. I am going to do another PSI check with the headers off and all plugs out to make sure I don't have a bad lobe before I go any further. I gauge I used last time was a bit spotty and I do not trust it.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #1153
Rokcrln

Small update on the LT1 issues. I did a comp check and the best was 192 and the lowest was 179 so only a 13lb difference and all over 170 so the comp is considered good. So I pulled the computer and sent it back to Painless for a re-flash and check. Assuming that is the problem it should fire up as soon as it gets back then the motor will come out and go for sale and I will swap in the 2005 5.3l Vortec and 4L60 I have from the Tahoe.

This swap should give more power and getter millage over the 14mpg LT1 but that may get better as well is the computer has been the problem all this time. I will also now be able to use power adders and such down the road as needed. Stay tuned for many changes!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #1154
Rokcrln

Along with the motor swap I plan on turning LowBuk into a crew cab thanks to my Tahoe giving it's life or body at least. I plan on grafting the back of a standard cab to the Tahoe body making a crew cab as you have seen done before but with a few new or different twists. I was going to use the C4 front end as well out of the Tahoe so I could run the new rims but in thinking about it more I have decided to keep my C10 suspension for now with thoughts way down the road of possibly a 1 Ton dually set up for a better tow rig. I will now use the entire C4 front and rear set up on a 3Window coupe I am building and sell the 20's & 22's. That is all for now and I hope everyone has a great fourth!

PS. thank you to everyone who has given for this country!!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #1155
watahyahknow

hey thats nice , porterbuild adapted some strongarm a arms for me a while back to hook the 1 ton stuff up to the normal crossmember or a dropmember , there still waiting to be put on the truck once its finished so i can mount the 22 inch truckwheels on there
he now makes his own arms so he prolly could help you there

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts

Last edited by watahyahknow; 07-02-2010 at 10:06 AM.
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #1156
Mike Bradbury

Kevin, you are amazing ! I find it hard enough to find the time to update the suspension on my truck, and you've got three projects goin at once.
I am a little confused, are you going to put the back section of the Tahoe onto the cab of the C10?
Mike

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583

Last edited by Mike Bradbury; 07-02-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #1157
watahyahknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bradbury View Post
Kevin, you are amazing ! I find it hard enough to find the time to update the suspension on my truck, and you've got three projects goin at once.
I am a little confused, are you going to put the back section of the Tahoe onto the cab of the C10?
Mike
its the other way around mike hes going to graft the rearwhall of the pickupcab just behind the reardoors of the tahoebody

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #1158
Rokcrln

I am going to cut the back section of the Tahoe body off then take a truck cab rear section and graft it on to create the Crew Cab. Then I will remove my standard cab and stretch the frame 33" and drop the Crew cab on.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #1159
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
I am going to cut the back section of the Tahoe body off then take a truck cab rear section and graft it on to create the Crew Cab. Then I will remove my standard cab and stretch the frame 33" and drop the Crew cab on.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Sounds like a great project. Can't wait to see it progress.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:39 AM   #1160
Mike Bradbury

Kevin,
I got the same 2.25 lowered spindles and I noticed when I was prefitting everything that they had a bit less of a turning radius. Have you noticed this? I have not tightened all components down since it is not on the truck yet

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #1161
oldskool65

hey kev I have a couple of questions I have a 71 swb w the same motor and im having the same problem so im curious what the outcome was...
also what alt ,ac bracket, and pulley set up is that I have a zoops and I hate it love the factory set up alot better....
thanks ahead your work is amazing
oldskool65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #1162
ksbrktracer
TNT-MOTORSPORTS

So what are the plans for LOW BUCK now that the tahoe is sold ... By the way the Tahoe looked like a heck of a buy .
ksbrktracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #1163
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
Sounds like a great project. Can't wait to see it progress.
Off the books now so it will not be happening. I sold the donor crew cab project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bradbury View Post
Kevin,
I got the same 2.25 lowered spindles and I noticed when I was prefitting everything that they had a bit less of a turning radius. Have you noticed this? I have not tightened all components down since it is not on the truck yet
Yes I do a bit , just enough to rub the tire at full lock but I still have plenty of turning radius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool65 View Post
hey kev I have a couple of questions I have a 71 swb w the same motor and im having the same problem so im curious what the outcome was...
also what alt ,ac bracket, and pulley set up is that I have a zoops and I hate it love the factory set up alot better....
thanks ahead your work is amazing
The out come was I have spent over $800 tracking down possible problems only to have no change in the way it runs. I have given up on that motor and I will be dropping in a 2005 5.3L with 4L60 that I kept from the Tahoe project. Only thing I need to get or make are engine plates. The harness is from Street and performance and they also did the re-flash for me. The motor in their now is a 92 Vett with all stock trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrktracer View Post
So what are the plans for LOW BUCK now that the tahoe is sold ... By the way the Tahoe looked like a heck of a buy .
Re-motor, re-wire, add power windows and keep driving the sh!t out of it like I was before. We have several vehicles and I have always had a company car and we still have put over 18K miles on Low-Buck.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 09-21-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #1164
Roadkill58

It was good to meet you in person Sunday.

We really like your sons 51 Ford (can I say that word here?) truck!

Thanks for the info on the TCI IFS. I ordered one this morning, and got power steering, a sway bar setup, 2" drop spindles, and shipping for free.

Nothing like new parts to get you motivated again!

Best regards,

Jim & Christine
Elverta, CA
Roadkill58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #1165
Rokcrln

It was great meeting you both as well. You will be very happy with the TCI front end in your truck.
Yes you can say the F@RD word here but you must kill a Camaro each time

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #1166
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Kevin, I was diapointed that I could not join you at the car show in Sacramento. Do you have any pictures?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #1167
eagleuh1

Hows the remotor going? I think you'll really like the difference.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #1168
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleuh1 View Post
Hows the remotor going? I think you'll really like the difference.
Slow as I have no time to work on it. I did have some help a few weeks ago in removing the front clip to make things easier to get to. I pulled the old motor and trans last week and today I had a few hours to get the ECE mounts installed and the new motor and trans set in place to fitment. I ended up pulling the motor out so I could move the engine mounts back 2 5/8" so the motor would be tucked into the fire wall better. Also I wanted more room between the fan and motor because one day I want to turbo the truck so a few more inches for a turbo and intercooler ducting would be nice. Next chance I get I will set the new harness I have from Street and Performance on the motor so I can see were the computer will mount and fit. I had then extend my harness so it should fit under the seat I hope.

I need to decide if I want to swap the tail housing so I can run my stock speedo and gauges or swap out to this kit http://www.egauges.com/vdo_ind.asp?T...hevT&PN=GSCT67 and be able to run the electric speedo and new gauges.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:38 AM   #1169
jwalk
What was I thinking?

I really like the looks of those gauges!

'68 C/10 Custom Long wide bed
'78 GMC Sierra short wide
Project: Second time around...'68 short wide
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=423949
jwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:55 AM   #1170
seldomseen65
spirit rider66

Location: pahrump, nevada, in the bowels of the Mojave desert

Quote:
Dam summit is fast less then 24hrs from order to my front portch And thanks to those who posted or sent PM's for cheaper HEI's but $100 for a new better than stock HEI complete was worth it to me. o guys if you are on a nickle and dime budget know you can find them for about $60 +- for a rebuilt from other places. For me piece of mind knowing it is all new is a good thing.

I almost for got $83 to the wonderfull state of Cali. for sales tax and reg.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Total $440.34
and 14hrs
KEVIN ;that dizz probably came from RENO, OR CARSON CITY ,NEVADA,,Summit has a a store out that way ,,that's is where i order my Summit parts from
Old 12-27-2010, 06:05 AM   #1171
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by olskool59delivery View Post
I really like the looks of those gauges!
Me too. Who's the manufacturer?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #1172
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Me too. Who's the manufacturer?
http://www.classicinstruments.com/in...ID=newproducts But it is cheaper to go with a different company to buy them. $819 from classic with out senders? $719 from the first place I listed with senders!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #1173
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Slow as I have no time to work on it. I did have some help a few weeks ago in removing the front clip to make things easier to get to. I pulled the old motor and trans last week and today I had a few hours to get the ECE mounts installed and the new motor and trans set in place to fitment. I ended up pulling the motor out so I could move the engine mounts back 2 5/8" so the motor would be tucked into the fire wall better. Also I wanted more room between the fan and motor because one day I want to turbo the truck so a few more inches for a turbo and intercooler ducting would be nice. Next chance I get I will set the new harness I have from Street and Performance on the motor so I can see were the computer will mount and fit. I had then extend my harness so it should fit under the seat I hope.

I need to decide if I want to swap the tail housing so I can run my stock speedo and gauges or swap out to this kit http://www.egauges.com/vdo_ind.asp?T...hevT&PN=GSCT67 and be able to run the electric speedo and new gauges.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
At least you are making some progress.

The gauges look nice but that is a lot of money I'd rather spend elsewhere.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #1174
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
At least you are making some progress.

The gauges look nice but that is a lot of money I'd rather spend elsewhere.
I know what you are saying but in my case elsewhere is already done with this truck! Now I will be able to sell my stock tack dash for a few buck to offset the sticker shock.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #1175
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
I know what you are saying but in my case elsewhere is already done with this truck! Now I will be able to sell my stock tack dash for a few buck to offset the sticker shock.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Have you seen the one 72K5ZL1 did up? Stock look with some nice changes.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...2&postcount=68

I really like it. I'd like to see one with the tach where the fuel gauge is and the fuel gauge in the center and some minor refinement of the secondary gauges with actual volts numbers, temp numbers and oil pressure numbers like he has done for the boost gauge.
Attached Images