The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #26
willij

Re: Brake booster questions - need help!

summit auto parts has adjuster extenders or complete kits with different pieces
willij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:53 PM   #27
PaPaStewySnipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z10 View Post
Here's what I'm using. Tuff Stuff booster and Wilwood master & proportioning valve.
I have my factory booster/master pulled out of my truck that was previously disk/drum ready to replace all the brakes, and fab up the lines. I have one question. My factory booster is a Delco, I'm going power disk/disk so bought the wilwood 1 1/8" master with the adjustable prop valve witch I'm guessing you used, looks to be same setup. Will this directly install to my factory Delco booster or a remain Delco booster with no issues, thinking about picking up a A1 Cardone reman Delco booster from AutoZone tomorrow to go with the wilwood set up, mine is dirty and I do not see the point in using old booster on all new brake parts, the gold will look nice as well. I did some measurements off my factory booster and master and it looks like I may not need to use the bullet they sent me with the wilwood master for a my factory booster, rod is sticking out quite a bit. I will be looking more closely tomorrow. I'm going the route you took, did you have any issues ot can give me some guidance I want to be 100% sure I will get correct booster with no issues?
Part number for booster is 54-71125. Also it seems as if my wilwood master has a smaller bore than the factory one installed with the Delco booster. The grommet seems loose on the wilwood master where it mates to the Delco booster. Any advise will be a big help.
Attached Images

Last edited by PaPaStewySnipes; 09-16-2017 at 12:37 AM.
PaPaStewySnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:18 PM   #28
Z10

Yes it looks like you are using the same Wilwood master. I did use the bullet. General rule of thumb is to use the bullet with power brakes and not use with non power brakes. I tried a Cardone but really didn't like the look and just know that it is a remanufactured part. I guess if you are going to paint it, it doesn't make much difference. I really had difficulty getting an 11" booster to work correctly. I tried 3 separate units from CPP and sent them back and also 2 masters from them which leaked. I ended up getting a new Tuffstuff booster which is American made and it works just fine. I think this is the one I used
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tuff-Stuff-P...Xw2&vxp=mtrYou should be able to reuse your original brackets. I would check but mine is in storage across town. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaStewySnipes View Post
I have my factory booster/master pulled out of my truck that was previously disk/drum ready to replace all the brakes, and fab up the lines. I have one question. My factory booster is a Delco, I'm going power disk/disk so bought the wilwood 1 1/8" master with the adjustable prop valve witch I'm guessing you used, looks to be same setup. Will this directly install to my factory Delco booster or a remain Delco booster with no issues, thinking about picking up a A1 Cardone reman Delco booster from AutoZone tomorrow to go with the wilwood set up, mine is dirty and I do not see the point in using old booster on all new brake parts, the gold will look nice as well. I did some measurements off my factory booster and master and it looks like I may not need to use the bullet they sent me with the wilwood master for a my factory booster, rod is sticking out quite a bit. I will be looking more closely tomorrow. I'm going the route you took, did you have any issues ot can give me some guidance I want to be 100% sure I will get correct booster with no issues?
Part number for booster is 54-71125. Also it seems as if my wilwood master has a smaller bore than the factory one installed with the Delco booster. The grommet seems loose on the wilwood master where it mates to the Delco booster. Any advise will be a big help.
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i

Last edited by Z10; 09-17-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:01 AM   #29
PaPaStewySnipes

I got a new booster $93 out the door at autozone, I think they messed up and didnt give me a cardone, I thought they are gray and mine was cad coated. So I think they didnt give me a remain unit for some reason so I can not complain and didnt ask questions, it looks just as my old Delco except replacement rod is 1/8" shorter. When I bolt booster to the master there is about 1/8" play with the new booster so I think I got lucky. I measured from rubber seal of booster to tip of rod, I then measured depth of inside of master to its edge of the bore which sticks out past flange and hits the seal when bolted up and ended up having about 1/8" till contact. If I used my bullet I will not be able to bolt master to booster. My bullet fills total void inside master and makes it about flush. I doubled checked by placing my bullet next the rod sticking out of booster and I get the same about 1/8". When mating master to booster I press on rod connected to pedal assembly when it starts moving push rod I have just a tiny bit of play till it engages master. I may have a long rod for the booster like you mentioned before any kept my old one before the exchange thinking I may need it, so if I add the bullet I can not bolt it up. Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Last edited by PaPaStewySnipes; 09-18-2017 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:53 AM   #30
PaPaStewySnipes

Bolts up good and brackets are drying. Any suggestions or tips shoot them my way.
Attached Images