The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2018, 01:25 AM   #1
Robertc10

drum to disc brake conversion

I have a 1971 C10 with drum brakes up front. From what I am reading and my memory tells me 71 changed to disc so I am thinking I have earlier model frame or something of that nature correct me if I am thinking wrong! I am wanting to convert to front disc. I have been looking at drop spindles but I am confused what year model to buy for any help would be greatly appreciated. I think if I have drum brakes I will need to buy spindles for 1970 and earlier?
Robertc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:32 AM   #2
Hidesertchevy

Re: drum to disc brake conversion

They don't make drop spindles for drum brakes.
Hidesertchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:37 AM   #3
Robznob11

Sounds like an earlier frame to me....
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
bigmac73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidesertchevy View Post
They don't make drop spindles for drum brakes.
Read the post again he wants to convert to disc with drop spindles

I would buy the conversion kit with drop spindles for a 69 to 70
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
Robznob11

I would buy your choice of 71 up drop spindles...and find a doner truck for parts or just source them from a auto parts store that carries good moog parts!

LED TAILS
Old 01-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
zicc1835

WELCOME TO THE BOARD if in fact its a earlier frame?.. the ball joint size is different 71-72.... with drums in front i would I would assume you would need spindles that fit 70 and down you need to do some research. i find when i type what i want to research into the search box at the top right and google 67-72 chevytrucks instead of web , I get a lot of info from past posts so type in front drum to disc conv and see what you get ...i am sure you will get a lot more responses on here from folks who have a lot more knowledge than i do
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #7
Robznob11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicc1835 View Post
WELCOME TO THE BOARD if in fact its a earlier frame?.. the ball joint size is different 71-72.... with drums in front i would I would assume you would need spindles that fit 70 and down you need to do some research. i find when i type what i want to research into the search box at the top right and google 67-72 chevytrucks instead of web , I get a lot of info from past posts so type in front drum to disc conv and see what you get ...i am sure you will get a lot more responses on here from folks who have a lot more knowledge than i do
As posted earlier if he wants drop spindles he needs 70 up conversion. Now you can buy a kit....in my .02 overpriced or source the parts you want. All of this info is on suspension section. Look up lolife! He will line you out!

LED TAILS
Old 01-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #8
Robertc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac73 View Post
Read the post again he wants to convert to disc with drop spindles

I would buy the conversion kit with drop spindles for a 69 to 70
Thanks bigmac73!

I'm with you I think that 69-70 is what I need to buy for but it always feels good to have another opinion or thoughts before I spend the money! The cab is a 71 but I am thinking the frame is 70 or earlier because of the 6 lug and front drum brakes. I may have to buy the drop spindles first and then later on buy the rest due to the price or save awhile.

What brand would be recommended by you or others? I would like to stick with a brand that uses say 73 up rotors and brake components due to availability! Would not care for a brand that I have to buy some specific rotor etc. that costs a fortune every time I have a problem!!

Thanks in advanced for any advice!!
Old 01-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #9
Robertc10

I have been a member of this group for a while now but never could ask ?s but I finally got approved to post or I finally figured it out lol either way I'm new to posting here so I'm sure I am doing something wrong! Please look over me until I figure it all out!!

My plan was to purchase the drop spindles and hopefully I can source my rotors, calipers etc from a donor or parts store at a better price!

I have been doing some research for a year or so now off and on but never got much help. I am in several groups on FB but seems like every time I ask a ? I never get a straight answer lol But I do appreciate everyone's help here. This is the most replies I have ever got on this subject!
Old 01-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #10
zicc1835

robznob earlier post .....
I would buy your choice of 71 up drop spindles...and find a doner truck for parts or just source them from a auto parts store that carries good moog parts!

robznob
As posted earlier if he wants drop spindles he needs 70 up conversion. Now you can buy a kit....in my .02 overpriced or source the parts you want. All of this info is on suspension section. Look up lolife! He will line you out!

someone is smarter than Rob and I ....I have 2 questions for the experts
1. how does he identify what year frame & front steering / suspension he has and ( should he )2. are 67 & 68 front steering / suspension different ball joint and all from 69-70 . just sayin
Old 01-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #11
zicc1835

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertc10 View Post
I have been a member of this group for a while now but never could ask ?s but I finally got approved to post or I finally figured it out lol either way I'm new to posting here so I'm sure I am doing something wrong! Please look over me until I figure it all out!!

My plan was to purchase the drop spindles and hopefully I can source my rotors, calipers etc from a donor or parts store at a better price!

I have been doing some research for a year or so now off and on but never got much help. I am in several groups on FB but seems like every time I ask a ? I never get a straight answer lol But I do appreciate everyone's help here. This is the most replies I have ever got on this subject!
just keep asking and doing rasearch as i said before there are a lot of members who are more knolegable than i and i have learned a lot but keep asking if your not sure and make sure you can identify what year you have before you start buying parts you cant return MY 2 cents good luck ill be waching your progress im kinding of going thru some of the same challenges and this board has been a great resource for me
thanks
Jess
Old 01-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #12
Robznob11

Its hard starting out....this is the low down. 1st are you willing to go to 5 lug? Because using factory parts you will need to.... in 70 (I think mid) they went from 6 lug drum to 5 lug disc. The spindle , ball jts, tie rods and drag link changed. In 73 the control arms went to rubber bushings but i believe most of the parts interchange. No one offers drop spindles to accommodate the pre 70 drum set up. Beyond that these write-ups should help you!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456889

LED TAILS
Old 01-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #13
Robertc10

Quote:
robznob earlier post .....

robznob

someone is smarter than Rob and I ....I have 2 questions for the experts
1. how does he identify what year frame & front steering / suspension he has and ( should he )2. are 67 & 68 front steering / suspension different ball joint and all from 69-70 . just sayin
You beat me to it lol but that is exactly what I need to know!

From my research I understand 70 earlier has different ball joints etc. than 71-72 but can never figure out what I have. I even researched what year started using front disc breaks I get 1971 but I've had others tell me they had 71 c10s with drum brakes! I don't know how truthful that is but either way it would be great to know this info!!

I was going to buy a donor truck/front end but either way I want to buy drop spindles so really I hate to invest to much in a donor if I'm going to buy drop spindles and lowering springs. Someone heated the front coil springs on my 71 so either way I have to buy springs. Example what if I spend X amount on a donor truck or front end and the rotors, calipers etc. are not the best and end up having to buy new. That is what I worry about lol I'm on a super tight budget to begin with I really need to make wise decisions the first time around!!
Old 01-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #14
zicc1835

just trying to share some info i have recievd from the board... I have some 71 -72 original front end parts that i stripped off a SWB frame that i am rebuilding for my latest project i will not be using... if there is something i can help with LMK I have a number of used front end parts from 69 to 72 that i can look at and take pictures measure for you to help identify if yours if that helps again there are some other folks on here that i hope chime in they may be able how to do a positive ID on your frame
Old 01-13-2018, 11:38 AM   #15
Robznob11

Now this is my .02 only. If I had it all to do again....I would save and buy a complete front kit like poterbuilt or chopping block.....I went the conversion way, then body drop, all new parts, thwn porterbuilt narrowed/forward arms. In the end the money I have spent would have been better with a full front end with correct geometry to work together and give me what im looking gor in look and performance. Lessons learned. Even better than that would be to wheel and deal and get a fully set up chassies. By the time you do bags, rearend, crossmember......a chassies is a better end product with better driving experiance....

LED TAILS
Old 01-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #16
zicc1835

one last thing... for now Rob metioned and i would have to agree Lolife he is one of those members that i would highly value his input... dont be afraid to drop him a private message
Old 01-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #17
Robertc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robznob11 View Post
Its hard starting out....this is the low down. 1st are you willing to go to 5 lug? Because using factory parts you will need to.... in 70 (I think mid) they went from 6 lug drum to 5 lug disc. The spindle , ball jts, tie rods and drag link changed. In 73 the control arms went to rubber bushings but i believe most of the parts interchange. No one offers drop spindles to accommodate the pre 70 drum set up. Beyond that these write-ups should help you!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456889
It can be hard lol I started on this truck a little over 3 years ago and really I am not in the shape financially or physically but I'm not going to let it stop me hopefully lol

I started this truck backwards really. I built the motor first with intentions of driving it through the summer months and nothing seems to go as planned. I saved money and really went further with the motor than originally planned. Now I wish I would have went at it differently but either way I will get it eventually!!

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice and hopefully I will learn this forum better and keep participating and following along hopefully being able to help others along with getting help!
Old 01-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #18
Robertc10

Quote:
just trying to share some info i have recievd from the board... I have some 71 -72 original front end parts that i stripped off a SWB frame that i am rebuilding for my latest project i will not be using... if there is something i can help with LMK I have a number of used front end parts from 69 to 72 that i can look at and take pictures measure for you to help identify if yours if that helps again there are some other folks on here that i hope chime in they may be able how to do a positive ID on your frame
That would be a big help I may hit you up one day I get to work on mine and see if we can figure some stuff out from measuring various parts!!

Thanks so much for the help!!
Old 01-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #19
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertc10 View Post
I have a 1971 C10 with drum brakes up front. From what I am reading and my memory tells me 71 changed to disc so I am thinking I have earlier model frame or something of that nature correct me if I am thinking wrong! I am wanting to convert to front disc. I have been looking at drop spindles but I am confused what year model to buy for any help would be greatly appreciated. I think if I have drum brakes I will need to buy spindles for 1970 and earlier?
Lots of info here.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Sounds like you have a 67-70 frame.
Without pics it’s hard to tell.
If there’s no indent behind the steering box it a 67 frame.
If there is it’s a 68-70 frame.
These trucks are old.
Lots of parts have been changed.
Please post several pics of your suspension.
Steel brake lines connect to the rubber hose behind the crossmember on 67-69 trucks..
In front of the crossmember on 71-72 truck.

I’ve been preaching “63-70 conversion spindles” for many years now.
I’m not sure why this info is not getting out.
There’s no need to use 71-72 or 73-87 spindles.

These conversion spindles are the same price and require no balljoints or tie rod changes.
Buy from places like Summit Racing that offer free shipping.
I like ECE (www.earlyclassic.com) for 67-72 parts.
But wilwood, mcgaughys, western chassis, belltech, and even CPP make good spindles.
Hope this helps.

Get the word out to use Conversion spindles!

Convert to disc brakes.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:16 PM   #20
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I normally buy the spindles, then source the other parts myself.
71-87 rotors, calipers, bearings.
The aftermarket makes 6-lug rotors.
CPP through Summit Racing is the cheapest.

I like using conversion brake hoses from a ECE, because they are a bolt on.
71-72 brakes hoses work, but you’ll need one inverted flare adapter on one side.
Someone posted 71 Camaro hoses worked as well. I’ve never tried them.

Then use a 71-72 master cylinder and prop. valve, or aftermarket equivalent.

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 01-13-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #21
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

From the big thread.
Just choose what situation applies to you.
In your case,... you have what we think is a 67-70 drum brake crossmember,...

67-70 Crossmember Installed:
1) There are many advantage to leaving your 67-70 crossmember in place to add disc brakes.

2) 67-70 truck owners can now purchase "year specific" standard and drop spindles, from many aftermarket suspension vendors.
* No need to change ball joints.
* No need to change tie rod ends.
* These new "conversion disc brake spindles" are a true "bolt-on" mod to add disc brakes to your truck.

3) The 67-70 a-arms can also be used with any other (71-72 or 73-87) spindle, with a simple ball joint change.
* The upper and lower ball joints and outer tie rods must match the correct year of spindle you choose.

4) You will need a "conversion" rubber brake hose to connect your disc brake caliper to your existing steel brake line.
* 71-72 rubber brake hoses can be adapted.
* Much longer 73-87 brake hoses can also be adapted.
* Aftermarket steel braided brake hoses are an option.

5) Keeping your original 67-70 crossmember allows to to leave the engine and transmission in place.
* No need to remove drivetrain.
* No need to temporarily support the engine, while removing the crossmember.
* Complete disassembly of the front suspension also allows you the ability to clean, inspect, replace or rebuild all the individual components.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #22
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Without pics,... all this info could be wrong.
I remember trying to help a member through many pm’s back and forth for many days before he finally took some pics. In the end, his truck already had drop spindles, and it had been changes to 73-87 parts by the previous owner.

But I’ll be glad to help with any questions you have.
We just need to figure out what’s on your truck now.

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 01-13-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #23
ga-stepside

I didn’t do proper research on this and bought CCP 2 ½” drop spindles from Summit for a 1967 C10 which is what the truck is. But the ball joints did not fit right on the spindles. I called Moog tech support (800-325-8886) to get dimensions on the upper ball joint shafts. The difference in the 67 and 71 is the small end of the taper on a 67 upper (#6024) is .588 and the 71 (#6124) is .551. The big ends are the same .702. So I had a choice to return the spindles to Summit for an exchange or get new ball joints. I decided to use 1967 ball joints since the 71 ones on the truck were bad anyway. I got new rotors and calipers for a 1972 C10 from O’Reilly’s.
ga-stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #24
lowbucktrucks

I plan to use 73-87 front crossmember so I can use rubber bushings when I rebuild front suspension. Research all your options. This will change to rubber bushings (cheaper), front disc brakes, power steering, but will require 5 lug axles in rear.
lowbucktrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #25
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I have a 1972 GMC C1500 cab and bed that sits on a 1969 Chevy C10 frame. I used ALL the 1972 disc brake stuff up front. It let me keep the 5 lug setup. Out back I used Moser 5 lug conversion axles. They are the correct length with the 1969 housing, but with the 5 lug pattern instead of 6 lug.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote