The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
nitrosport_5

Opinion, Repair or replace fender

Hey guys, i had a driver side fender that needed the lower front corner replaced but i noticed that it was tweaked pretty bad. So i was looking for a replacement fender. Dont want to go aftermarket unless i have to. Was looking atthe fender currently on the truck and i am not sure if i should try and save this one, or find a new one. I am doing a cab/bed swap on this truck in the near future.

Looking at the fender and picking at it, i was suprised to find the front lower corner does not appear to have any filler in it (if you picked around the rest of the truck you would be amazed as well) . This is only picking at it with a pick, dont wanna sand it up just yet. The rear corner looks to only have a skim coat of filer on it. Above the wheel wells there looks to be no filler. The bad on this is the large rust area/hole. Now i do have 2 fenders here i could cut pieces out of and patch this fender. Do you think i should save this one? Or would it be worth the money to buy a new one>

Last edited by nitrosport_5; 01-27-2013 at 01:29 AM.
nitrosport_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:05 AM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: Opinion, Repair or replace fender

I think you should be able to find a nice GM metal replacement for a reasonable price if you do some research. I would bet for under $100.00 you could get one that is rust free. You have to consider what your time is worth to repair your existing fender. It can be done but it is a lot of work to repair.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Spartan

Re: Opinion, Repair or replace fender

I'd repair it. Ive seen and repaired much worse judging by your photos it really doesn't look to bad. However, I'm a huge fan of fixing original parts over new parts. Sometimes this means I pay a bit more to preserve history when it would cost less to just toss it. 2 cents
Oh yeah...sometimes repair failures are valueable teaching/learning moments.
Posted via Mobile Device

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote