The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #1
Mike_The_Grad

Pet peeves: squeaks

We all got 'em. (Pet peeves I mean.) Mine are squeaks and leaks.
This post is directed at those annoying sounds that either come and go, are consistent, or occur only under certain conditions.

I've had one that I may have become tone deaf to, or at least I tune it out. It only happens while the vehicle is in motion. Driving down any street, new or potholed, below 45 m.p.h. it doesn't matter if it's a dip in the road, coming to a stop, accelerating, driving straight, or making a turn. During or for about a day after it rains, my truck won't make a peep. But the second it happens again it's the only thing I can think of.

Now I know there's only about a million things that could cause this. But maybe a little information can help narrow it down. Starting at the front: all bolts on the front end sheet metal are tight, there are no obvious signs of rubbing on any body panels or joints, the front suspension of my 1972 c10 LWB with factory overload rear leafs is pretty well lubed up but I will do my semi-annual chassis lubing today just to make sure, my core support bushings are about 2 years old and not dry or cracked, I recently installed a front sway bar with polygraphite bushings (the squeak occurred before this installation.), I have new front disc rotors and wheel bearings (about 6 months old.I will be checking them today as well.), original calipers with the bolts and slide bushings lubed (again I will be checking these today as well), the cab mounts have seen better days but they are still there and not squished out, my driveshaft has brand new u joints and center support bearing (literally about a week old.), the rear drum brakes were overhauled the same week along with new axle bearings and seals.
The rear leaf suspension is old and rusty. Here is where I'm thinking is most likely the origin of my squeak.
Is there a way to lube up the rear suspension? If so, where and what to use?
Also any thoughts or opinions are appreciated
(Windows have new felts and guides, regulators and internals are all lubed, new door panel retainers, new handles and cranks. Happens with Windows up or down. Happens at night and in the day time. I highly doubt the squeak is mechanically related to the engine, I have new motor mounts and trans mount, new belts that are properly tensioned.)
Oh, and yes I do turn my stereo up just to relieve the mental torment.
Thanks in advance.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
davepl

Re: Pet peeves: squeaks

I'd run around and shoot WD40 onto all the moving parts and bushings of the rear end, leaf springs, etc. It wouldn't be a permanent cure, it'll dry back out, but if it goes away then it's one of the things you sprayed. When it comes back, spray only half, eliminate that way...

Do you have a wood bed? That could possibly shift and creak too.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I can't hear anything over the exhaust... So I'm no help.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
Mike_The_Grad

No wood bed.
Even with my true duel 3" super 40 flowmaster exhaust I can hear it, but like I said I tune it out for the most part. Lol
I like the spray lube idea.process of elimination... thanks

Old 02-16-2017, 07:18 AM   #5
Mike_The_Grad

Update.
Well I wasnt able to get to the rear end today. I did go through the front end with a fine tooth comb though. Everything looks as it should. I should mention that I've also been experiencing the truck pulling to the right as I'm driving down the road. Won't do it as I'm braking, I can let go of the steering wheel while I'm braking and the truck will maintain its course. But as I begin to move forward picking up speed the truck wants to drift towards the right. So I had it in my mind that maybe my caliper on the right side was hanging up or something.
So I thought I'd "knock out two birds with one stone". I jacked the front end up and set it on jackstands under each LCA inboard of the lower ball joints. First I just rotated the wheels by hand to see if I could hear any unusual noises or notice any irregular movement. Both wheels rotated freely and true. I did notice my passenger side tire has more wear on the outside edge of the tread, so much so that the tire wouldnt even stay standing up on it's own, while the driver side tire has what appears to be even wear, and stood up on its own.( all 4 tires are new as of Dec. Of last year and only have about 1,500 miles on them.) I then got in the truck and depressed the brake pedal a few times and spun the rotors by hand, the drivers side spun freely, while the passenger side seemed to need a little more effort to rotate but I could be wrong. So I turned my attention to the caliper on the pass. side. I noticed the caliper slide bolts looked a little gummed up and turns out they were. So I pulled one at a time along with the sleeves and cleaned out their bores and sleeves, then lubricated everything including the ends of the bolts with hi-temp brake grease and torqued them back down.
I thought that maybe it was my power steering that was causing this issue, so while the truck was still on the jackstands I started it up and let it reach operating temp. I depressed the brake pedal a few times and spun the wheels by hand and they turned just fine with little effort.
I grabbed the pass. side wheel at about the 9 and 3 o'clock position and attempted to turn the wheels while the engine was still running. I definitely noticed play in the linkage, or it could have been that I was attempting to use the furthest element of the steering from the pump and gearbox to turn both wheels and the steering wheel. The driver side had a lot less play while doing the same movements. But both wheels allowed me to reach the right and left bump stomps with minimal effort. I was able to turn the steering wheel from within the cab with one finger in both directions the full length of travel.
So before I torqued the lugnuts down I pulled the wheels and grabbed my grease gun and hit all of the zerk fittings on both top and bottom control arms as well as tie rod ends and sway bar frame mounts. I swapped the tires from left to right on the front only and retorqued them.
As I drove the truck for about an hour I noticed the truck would now pull to the left instead of the right. With just a little less force then when it wanted to pull right. I definitely had to hold the steering wheel from pulling to the left though.

What all this means? I have no idea.

Hopefully I can get some advice, and an idea of what I'm experiencing.

My theory is that my alignment is off but maybe only on the passenger side.( I have not had an alignment done in years, I wanted one done at the same time as wheel replacement but the establishment only did tires. And because the truck drove so well after that I kinda forgot about it up until now when it started pulling) I think that may include my upper ball joints and tie rods. If this seems to be the consensus then I will take it in for an alignment check and report back here.
And yes the damn squeak was still there as I was driving.