The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
epon

Shock Relocator Options for Laid Out Truck

Trying to fit up some shock relocators and wanting to make sure I pick the best option. Tried the PB mild dropmember relocators and they hit the bottom of the steering column. Im using a pancaked crossmember and stock control arms. Z is behind stock shock locations and dont fit the PB relocator profile that well. Will likely have a set of the stage 1 locators sent out to see if they fit any better.

Height from shock mount on control arm to top of frame:

Height from top of frame to bottom of steering column:

Fitment on pass side for mild dropmember relocator:

Driver's side:

Top down shot of the area:

Thinking I may need to have something custom fabbed up and welded to the frame or go with the stock locator holes and a short shock.

Wondering if anyone has suggestions on how best to skin this cat.
epon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Shock Relocator Options for Laid Out Truck

Run the OE length shock for best results. I would just build a new upper bracket/mount that best fits your set-up for compression, extension, & ride height.

Shock dimensions @ ride height & compression were the priority factors when I built mine.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
Pro Performance

Is the first picture when the truck is aired out? The picture is dark and hard to tell. If so, I think the stage 1 relocator will work for you. That shock has a compressed height of 10.5" so should collapse enough when aired out, being the top mounts about even with the top of the frame. The extended is 15", so when aired up, see if you have 15" measuring from the same lower mount to tope of frame rail. If you measure a little more, it will still work, but may limit you from getting max height out of the suspension.

- Travis
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
epon

The first pic is aprox aired out location, this one is sprox all the way up. Compressors are offline at the moment so its a mock. If the control arm goes any further down the bag looks to be a bit stretched but its close to what is all the way up:

Measures 13.5" from center of control arm shock mount hole to top of frame when aired up.
Aired out looks like 12" from center " " to top of frame.

Seems like it would be more than 1.5" so maybe I'm off by a bit but I thought everything looked the same and at aproximate height in the wheel well when at ride height and aired out.
epon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #5
Pro Performance

Good talking with you the other day. Per our conversation, we will get you swapped out to a Stage 1 front relocator. Wanted to post up, in case someone else runs into a similar scenario.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote