The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
jerden

Floor pan replacement question

I "think" I'm ready to tackle repairing the rust on the floor of my Blazer. From the looks of it the outer rockers and rocker boxes have already been done but the floor has holes everywhere. What floor pan piece or pieces do I get to replace the floor pan? I've contacted LMC and they said they only carry floor pans for trucks. What parts have you guys been using and where are you getting them?

Here is what I was looking at and basically all the other companies I saw carried the same part.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=22

I was told the complete assembly and the repair panels are just for a truck.
HELP ME!!!

Last edited by jerden; 04-22-2010 at 11:56 AM.
jerden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
lks dcvn

Re: Floor pan replacement question

Post up some pix of the floors and surrounding areas and we can tell you what your options are.

If some of the work has been done like the outer rockers - then you might not know what is lurking under/behind them and if the rust was repaired or not - you might be asking for trouble down the road not fixing the stuff correctly now while you are considering doing it.

I tore mine apart to make sure that there wouldn't be issues down the road.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
71jimmy

Most of the repair panels are for trucks but work just as well for the Blazers, some require just a bit of tweaking to make factory correct. That's what we all use, nothing else available. There are a handful of Blazer only patches you might need once you open up everything, you'll know.

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
jerden

I was hoping the truck panels would work.
Here's some photos of what I am dealing with.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
TonyJohnson

Well you can see the rust runs right up under the rocker repair and the repair was just tacked in. The repairs they did should be pretty simple to take off. I just bought a pair of cab floor panels from mgbmike and they are nice tri-plus parts. http://estore.websitepros.com/126980...Categories.bok
They're just $22 each plus shipping. GREAT customer service.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
lks dcvn

Do you want the good news or the bad news?

Bad News is...

There is much more rust there than you can see right now.

A pillar lower patch
R/L floor pans
R/L inner rocker/floor extension
Kick Panel/Toe Board patch

If you look they patched over the drainage dent in the floorboard and I would be curious to know if they cut anything out or just laid the patches right over the rust and welded to clean metal farther in.

The good news is that the patch panels you need to fix all of that stuff are relatively easy to come by.

Just a heads up though - fixing this the right way will take some time and some money. If you plan to fix this now - be prepared that the truck will be down for some time. I wouldn't recommend driving it once you start cutting into it just in case there is an alignment issue later.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
1949gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lks dcvn View Post
Bad News is...

There is much more rust there than you can see right now.

A pillar lower patch
R/L floor pans
R/L inner rocker/floor extension
Kick Panel/Toe Board patch
I thought the same thing when I saw this pic. And don't forget about the front body mount. Chances are very good that it is shot also. And the torsion box directly under the mount is probably rusted as well... may not show it from underneath, but once you get in there and poke around with a body hammer, you'll probably need to patch it, too.

I also agree that if you can, drive it this summer and tackle the rust over the winter.
1949gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
TonyJohnson

The good news is you are in Houston. You can save a lot on shipping (I think) by picking up what you need from mgbmike. He's located in Webster.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Get ahold of wes at classic heartbeat he is a vendor here and I am sure he can hook you up with all the pieces you need as thats where I got mine and my floors were way worse than yours...

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
jerden

Thanks for all the replies. You guys are a huge help. I went to http://www.bumpandgrindgarage.com and noticed that they were in Webster Tx. That's only about an hour from the house which means NO SHIPPING!!! I gave them a call yesterday and got machine. I left a message but didn't get a call back. I'll try them again today.

I know I have to un piece what the PO has already done but with doing that can I use this one piece floor pan?
http://estore.websitepros.com/126980...ONE/Detail.bok

From the research I've done I have to put the top back on weld in some bracing on the door frame and then I can take the doors and top back off correct?

Once that is done and I have the floor pan I can use it as a template to see how much of the floor to cut out. Then that will show me what is hiding under it and what else needs to be replaces correct?
Old 04-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerden View Post
Thanks for all the replies. You guys are a huge help. I went to http://www.bumpandgrindgarage.com and noticed that they were in Webster Tx. That's only about an hour from the house which means NO SHIPPING!!! I gave them a call yesterday and got machine. I left a message but didn't get a call back. I'll try them again today.

I know I have to un piece what the PO has already done but with doing that can I use this one piece floor pan?
http://estore.websitepros.com/126980...ONE/Detail.bok

From the research I've done I have to put the top back on weld in some bracing on the door frame and then I can take the doors and top back off correct?

Once that is done and I have the floor pan I can use it as a template to see how much of the floor to cut out. Then that will show me what is hiding under it and what else needs to be replaces correct?

Sorry about that. We are open 12:30 to 8:00 pm M-F all day saturday. but sometimes we are at the shop or someone did not show up or we are out delivering parts or in the complex somewhere. Best is to leave a message and we will get back. Or at least we will make every attempt to. Our shop is seperate from the store now until we find a better location.

We have the floor in stock. I have never put one in a blazer so i can't say anything about the installation. There is no shipping on it. If you can find out we can let you have it for $350.00 plus tax

Last edited by mbgmike; 04-24-2010 at 10:55 AM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote