The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Talking Blazer Enthusiasts Please Look!

It all started out two days ago when my dad informed me of a Blazer (69/70) that was sitting out by the road with a for sale sign on it. It is a V8, 4WD, 3OT, K5, and it previously had a 250 in it. Now I've always wanted a 4WD vehicle and Blazers really appeal to me as they have completely removable tops, are 4WD, and are just plain out different. I couldn't imagine how fun it would be to cruise around in the Florida summers with the top off and the wind in my hair. So I guess you could say I was bit by the bug...

Well over the course of the past two days I did some reading on some Blazers and I found out where to look for rust in comparison to our trucks. Now one of the other things that has really been sticking out is this came along at just the perfect time as I was thinking of selling my truck and picking up something that has slightly less rust. As luck would have it the K5 was driven here from TEXAS! So I was thrilled when I saw the plates. Like most Texas vehicles (or at least the ones I have heard of) it had very little rust. The rockers weren't too bad, but they still need to be replaced. There is a small amount at the bottom of the kick panels as well. But aside from that, from what I could see there was nothing bad in the windshield frame or firewall. The tailgate is in mint condition as well! The top on it looks to be good, as does everything else. Another area that I heard is prone to rusting is the "torsion box?" I think that's what it was called, the area near the rocker and frame I believe? I took some pictures of that as well. It is all solid with no rust. Has a brand new gas tank as well!

Now the main reason I am posting here is just due to the fact I don't know too awfully much about the Blazer side of things or how much they differentiate from my 67 C10. If you guys could pick out everything that is wrong with it and let me know if you see anything out of the ordinary that would be great. I also didn't realize I had taken so many pictures with my phone. I guess more is better though as it will show you most parts of the truck. Also a few questions.

1. Is it possible to tell what rear/front ends it has with those pictures of the bellhousing? If so, what are they?

2. Why are the front leafs arched the opposite direction of the rear ones? I always thought all leafs were arched the same way.

3. Why is the engine sitting so far back? Could this present any problems?

4. What is the little button located below the dash to the right of the column? It can be seen in post two.

4. What do you think of it?

Edit: Called the guy up, he said he checked the VIN # and it's an original V8, the V8 is a 307. The 3OT is original as well. I've heard a V8, 3OT, 4WD combination isn't that common. Thoughts?

I'm looking into getting it, so all information is helpful in any way! Here are the pictures!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan

Last edited by *Dylan; 11-12-2009 at 02:46 PM.
*Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Re: Blazer Enthusiasts Please Look!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan

Last edited by *Dylan; 11-12-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan

Last edited by *Dylan; 11-12-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
Old 11-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
Old 11-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

looks prity good. I would roll it
LOW DOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
dan42

Looks fairly solid to me - depending on the price, if I was looking for a Blazer, I would definitely consider that one.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Maybe I missed it, but how much $$ is he asking for it.

I LOL'd at the new gas tank....mine rusted thru and dripped about 5 gallons of gas on my garage floor this summer....

Overall, it looks like a REALLY good project truck! Depending on what he's aking that is.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

I'll just say that the price is reasonable for the truck. I'll let you know the price if I don't buy it. But if I do I would like to keep it private.
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
Old 11-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
jaros44sr

Looks like a perfect place to start, seen alot worse! The windshield is a big plus. Not much rust that I can see in the usual locations, can you lift up the rugs?

Button on dash is probably for the horn. Normal sag in the front leaf springs, age and the engine wt. is the culprit.

Utility seats look great, don't know about the center fabric, if it is original or not, don't think so, factory looking roll bar is nice as well

As you know rust under the battery is normal, and acid blow by up around the heater box

Spark plug wires look like they could use some location attention. 2 fuel filters? don't know! Nice to have a new tank

Dana 44 rear up front w/ 3.73 gears is my guess, 12 bolt in the back
All in all, 5 to 10 seems like a good price. Looks unmolested

Mite want to move the thread to the blazer/jimmy side

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 11-12-2009 at 01:25 PM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #11
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Dylan View Post
I'll just say that the price is reasonable for the truck. I'll let you know the price if I don't buy it. But if I do I would like to keep it private.
Noted.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!

Last edited by Wasted Income; 11-12-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

PM sent.
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
Old 11-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #13
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

I'd bet that Blazer has the Dana transfer case. Shift pattern, shifter and boot is wrong for NP205 and IIRC, 3 on the tree Blazers came with Dana's. That's not a knock on it, just an observation

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #14
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPNE View Post
I'd bet that Blazer has the Dana transfer case. Shift pattern, shifter and boot is wrong for NP205 and IIRC, 3 on the tree Blazers came with Dana's. That's not a knock on it, just an observation
Is that good or bad? Or just preferential?
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
Old 11-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Dylan View Post
Is that good or bad? Or just preferential?

Don't know. I do know the NP205 is a strong tcase and the Dana tcase was never put into 4wd trucks, even 3 on the tree ones that I have seen. I "suspect" the Dana is a lighter-duty tcase, but I have no idea why GM used them in only this application.

Again I wasn't trying to alarm you, but it is good info to know especially when shopping for parts.

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #16
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Most certainly good information to know! I'll have to do some research on the two transfer cases.
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
Old 11-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #17
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

If it has the original front end it is a 70 Blazer. That is because it has the open knuckle front end. I can't see the front brakes so I assume they are drum. All of the 4x4s have the reverce arc front springs. The ones under this blazer look like they are sagging though. You need to stick your head above the rear tires and look toward the doors. This is where the rocker box reinforcement plate and blazer bed b-pillars are. They are prone to rust there because that area usualy fills up with mud and stays wet. You may have to dig it out to see. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #18
JMac11

Dylan.... Fellow Tallahasseen with a 72 K5.... would be glad to eyeball it for ya. Mine is in a thousand pieces right now. Message me and we can compare notes.
JMac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #19
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Got a guy interested in my truck and he is coming to look at it this Saturday! I'm super excited and praying that it sells and I can pick this Blazer up!
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
Old 11-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #20
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

completely normal for the engine to sit further back in the engine cradle on a 4x.

nice little K5. nice, nice, nice!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:43 PM   #21
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

JMac, I'll be going to hear the engine run tomorrow and hopefully take it for a short test spin. If I end up getting it I'd definitely like to cruise over to your place and check out what you have! That's if you don't mind.
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
Old 11-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #22
TonyJohnson

Looks like a great start. Depends on where in Texas for rust. The gulf coast eats trucks alive. This one doesn't look too bad. I can envision some rust under those rockers, though...
Old 11-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #23
woodridge

Looks like an excellant start. I had a 71 Jimmy 307 three on the tree and it had the Dana tc and manual steering also. Wish I still had it. Good luck on the deal and keep us posted.
woodridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #24
big_al_71

Dylan let us know when you buy it....

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #25
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Well I went and test drove it today and there is a small knock/tick in the engine under the passenger side valve cover. He says it is a burnt valve. It was my first time driving a 3OT, was interesting for sure haha. I accidentally started in 3rd at one point. DOH! I took some pictures of rocker box reinforcement plate, it's completely solid with no rust. The guy is asking a thousand more than I thought so I've got to work something out.
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan