The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
Hart_Rod

NOS SWB bedside ????

I was told that these are supposed to be NOS. Any idea how I can tell for sure? Thanks in advance.

R/
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
truckdude239

Re: NOS SWB bedside ????

well if they are installed and look like that they aren't nos but maybe orginal

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
I was told that these are supposed to be NOS. Any idea how I can tell for sure? Thanks in advance.

R/
I know they are not original. They still have the "primer" coat on them. I'm just not sure if they are aftermarket ones or NOS. I was hoping someone knew if there was a sure fire way to tell.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
Rokcrln

Hey Rob the last set I installed on project Trazer were after market and a bit thinner then stock. Maybe Mic a known stock front fender (were the marker light goes) then check these bed sides. I have also noticed that after market tend to not be bent/curved as nice as stock in the real tight bends so you might want to look for the little ripples?
Also if you find a tri plus sticker they may not be NOS

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
sameyrasmea72

Mine are NOS, ( or at least I hope they are, or I paid way too much for them)

I noticed that on mine there are some spot welds where the red dots are and I have heard that repos don't fit good and close and tight where the sides meet the headgate. Hope this helps......Jason
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
uncle

Usually the edges of the panels are sharper,if that makes any sense. Spot welds also seem to be more profound on the aftermarket panels.

Last edited by uncle; 08-18-2008 at 10:14 PM.
uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #7
Hart_Rod

Did NOS come with any stickers on them or were they just in GM boxes?
Old 08-18-2008, 11:27 PM   #8
72highlander
Sophomore Member

they had a sticker, as you can see in the pic this one had the sticker one the lip on the outside that bolted to the headgate.
Attached Images

these trucks don't need vacuum gauges cause they don't suck!
two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left
all i want is a little more than i'll ever get
it's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
72highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:16 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I believe with the short amount of time repros have existed that those would not have aged that much yet if they were aftermarket.I`d say they petty much have to be OEM.I think we need a new term,though:O.N.O.S...as in old new old stock or M.N.O.S...as in mint new old stock.I guess "Old Stock" and "New Old Stock" would get it.There are old factory parts that have never seen use that aren`t exactly "new" condition these days.Don`t get me wrong.I jump all over that tarnished old stock.I just bought a Stepside fender that looked like those bedsides.Wasn`t cheap,either.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #10
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72highlander View Post
they had a sticker, as you can see in the pic this one had the sticker one the lip on the outside that bolted to the headgate.
I can see where there was a sticker on the inside panel, but it's not readable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Hey Rob the last set I installed on project Trazer were after market and a bit thinner then stock. Maybe Mic a known stock front fender (were the marker light goes) then check these bed sides. I have also noticed that after market tend to not be bent/curved as nice as stock in the real tight bends so you might want to look for the little ripples?
Also if you find a tri plus sticker they may not be NOS

Kevin
LFD Inc.
I'll check the bends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I believe with the short amount of time repros have existed that those would not have aged that much yet if they were aftermarket.I`d say they petty much have to be OEM.I think we need a new term,though:O.N.O.S...as in old new old stock or M.N.O.S...as in mint new old stock.I guess "Old Stock" and "New Old Stock" would get it.There are old factory parts that have never seen use that aren`t exactly "new" condition these days.Don`t get me wrong.I jump all over that tarnished old stock.I just bought a Stepside fender that looked like those bedsides.Wasn`t cheap,either.
Thanks Tim. I know it sounds crazy, but if I can prove they are NOS, I'll probably sell them. My junk is not worthy of NOS, . What would they be worth? They have some dings and as you can see the paint is faded........

R/
Old 08-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #11
jb4short
Damn Yankee

Rob- if the spot welds holding the inner panel in, just inside the bed in front of the tailights, are on the edge of the metal or about 1/8" in they're probably NOS, ONOS, UNOS or some variant. If those welds are 1/2" to 3/4" of an inch in they're probably repros

Should be a vertical line of them top to bottom

If they're NOS send them to me and I'll properly dispose of them

Last edited by jb4short; 08-19-2008 at 12:23 PM.
jb4short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #12
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameyrasmea72 View Post
Mine are NOS, ( or at least I hope they are, or I paid way too much for them)

I noticed that on mine there are some spot welds where the red dots are and I have heard that repos don't fit good and close and tight where the sides meet the headgate. Hope this helps......Jason
Do the repops not have these spot welds? These do and the body lines seem pretty defined.

Jon - do you have any pictures of the stickers you put on yours? What's the dimensions?
Old 08-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #13
jb4short
Damn Yankee

Ron I'm out of the office now...I'll check tomorrow. Do check that vertical line of welds though....like I said....near the edge NOS....in an inch....repro
Old 08-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #14
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ProAutomotive View Post
Ron I'm out of the office now...I'll check tomorrow. Do check that vertical line of welds though....like I said....near the edge NOS....in an inch....repro
I'm not sure if I know exactly where you're talking about. Can you make a reference on the above picture?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #15
jb4short
Damn Yankee

just inside the tailgate post....there's a vertical line of welds that hold the inner panel in
Old 08-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #16
Hart_Rod

Quote:
just inside the tailgate post....there's a vertical line of welds that hold the inner panel in
Red dots or yellow dots?
Attached Images

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 08-19-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #17
jb4short
Damn Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Red dots or yellow dots?
Red dots....and sorry for the "Ron" typo
Old 08-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #18
WLPTMP

if it was N.O.S. it would have a blue and white part number sticker on it unless it was cleaned off
good luck though
WLPTMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #19
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Red dots....and sorry for the "Ron" typo
I'll check it later and take some pictures. No worries on the name, it all pays the same, .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLPTMP View Post
if it was N.O.S. it would have a blue and white part number sticker on it unless it was cleaned off
good luck though
Unfortunately nothing distinguishable.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #20
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Don't you love it when somebody advertises a part as NOS only when you drive over there to look at it you find out it isn't new old stock but old, rusty, bent, used stock.

NOS = new, old stock. aka never installed at the factory but could have been.

Some parts were continued to be made by the OEM after the production run and could be considered NOS now that they are 40 years old.

When you take something off of a parts truck, even if it was a fender that at one time was NOS, it is no longer NOS. It is used. Like the LF fender on my 71 convertible. When I bought it in the GM box (for $75 ) it was NOS. If I cracked up the car tomorrow on the right and tried to sell it, it would be a used part. NO LONGER NOS!!!!!!

OK. Rant over. I feel better now.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:47 PM   #21
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Here's a picture of the welds, what do you think?

R/
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2008, 12:07 AM   #22
fast_dev

im sure the details provided will tell you which ones you have but i have to disagree on the post about the repops not available long enough to look like that. i bought a truck that was stored outside with the new repop bedsides bolted on in the front and back but never finished, the truck sat out for about 2-3 months like that before i got it and they are getting rusty already. i also have a nos short fleet bedside that the guy stored in the crawl space under his mobile home for 20 years and it doesn't have any more rust than the new repops got it 2 months. Dev.
70 c-10 swb 402, muncie 4 speed
94 s-10 350/th350 3:73 posi
71 c-20 402/th400 towrig for racetruck.
72 4wd lifted on 35's
72 350/3 speed winter beater
fast_dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:43 AM   #23
Rokcrln

Rob acording to the spot weld info givin above those would have been NOS before they were bolted on. Now I have an easy one for you, I scored a set of step side fenders that have never been bolted on a truck because you can still feel the punch edge at the fender mounting holes as if no washer or bolt was ever tightened. So that tells me they have never been hung. Next is the fact that they are 67's with out marker lights and from what I have been told they never re-poped 67's. Now I get to slice them up for my crew cab dually build The guy I bought them/stole them from said he had primmed them because the black was all warn off and he did not want them to rust.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #24
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_dev View Post
im sure the details provided will tell you which ones you have but i have to disagree on the post about the repops not available long enough to look like that. i bought a truck that was stored outside with the new repop bedsides bolted on in the front and back but never finished, the truck sat out for about 2-3 months like that before i got it and they are getting rusty already. i also have a nos short fleet bedside that the guy stored in the crawl space under his mobile home for 20 years and it doesn't have any more rust than the new repops got it 2 months. Dev.
Do you have any pictures of your patina'd aftermarket bedsides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Rob acording to the spot weld info givin above those would have been NOS before they were bolted on. Now I have an easy one for you, I scored a set of step side fenders that have never been bolted on a truck because you can still feel the punch edge at the fender mounting holes as if no washer or bolt was ever tightened. So that tells me they have never been hung. Next is the fact that they are 67's with out marker lights and from what I have been told they never re-poped 67's. Now I get to slice them up for my crew cab dually build The guy I bought them/stole them from said he had primmed them because the black was all warn off and he did not want them to rust.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Nice looking step fenders! I'm sure you're going to get some hate mail about chopping them, . I'm sure they'll look great when your done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
Don't you love it when somebody advertises a part as NOS only when you drive over there to look at it you find out it isn't new old stock but old, rusty, bent, used stock.

NOS = new, old stock. aka never installed at the factory but could have been.

Some parts were continued to be made by the OEM after the production run and could be considered NOS now that they are 40 years old.

When you take something off of a parts truck, even if it was a fender that at one time was NOS, it is no longer NOS. It is used. Like the LF fender on my 71 convertible. When I bought it in the GM box (for $75 ) it was NOS. If I cracked up the car tomorrow on the right and tried to sell it, it would be a used part. NO LONGER NOS!!!!!!

OK. Rant over. I feel better now.
I completely understand what you're talking about. These are no where near as nice as a set straight out the GM boxes, but while they've been partially installed (only enough bolts to hold the bed together were put in), they've never been painted or used other than mocking up the bed. I don't expect to get the price that a set out of GM boxes would bring, but I would like everyone's honest opinion about what I should ask for them.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #25
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

When I had my bed soda-blasted, it looked just like that after a few days. Even had the original markings from the steel mill that the sheet steel came from before it was stamped.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote