The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2022, 05:08 PM   #101
SBTork
Garage wrench

Re: 86 Suburban daily driver

I'm very curious if you still have this Suburban and how things are going on it and with the LS swap....

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:07 PM   #102
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTork View Post
I'm very curious if you still have this Suburban and how things are going on it and with the LS swap....
Thanks for the interest! I guess I lost motivation to keep this updated since the process to upload pictures here is such a pain.

Update: The suburban has 7k miles on it since the swap. We took it on the Hot Rod Power Tour this June and took it from Iowa down to Memphis, then along to the gulf coast in Florida, Atlanta, and back home. Then in July we had it up in Wisconsin for a canoe trip and then northern Minnesota for Boy Scout Camp. I've made some upgrades and changes since I last updated this.

It was too low in the front and the control arms would hit the pavement. My solution to this was to go from 18" front wheels to 20" wheels, so I swapped in some US Mags Boulevard wheels. That got rid of any clearance I had with the inner fenders, so in with Slosh Tubz. That necessitated that I change everything that I had mounted to the inner fenders, so more modifications there. I got both front and rear AC working with a low-mount 2005 suburban compressor and T's in the refrigerant lines. Blows cold at 98* ambient! The power tour taught me that I was not happy with the very little caster these trucks have and how it drives with that. It wasn't terrible, but definitely not
"comfortable" for me. I went with the QA1 front suspension to solve that problem, and drove it for the first time this past weekend after that mod and I'm very happy with that. Between the 8* of caster I now have and the 1 3/8" sway bar it is solid in the turns. The adjustable rebound on the coil-overs is a noticeable difference for me too and I see myself doing quite a bit of experimenting with that. Also, I swapped out the front brakes for Kore3 C6 calipers and 14" rotors. That was more of a nice-to-have not need-to-have. They stop really well, and now I just need to find time to swap out the rear drums for the 13" rotors there.

So there, this suburban has proven to be a very reliable, very family-friendly way to go anywhere we want to. I achieved exactly what I set out to on this project and I'm very happy with it. Can't wait to pile up the miles on this setup!

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:22 PM   #103
SCOTI

Nice report on the updates.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 06:09 PM   #104
LT7A

Good to hear. Do you just load the pics straight from your computer or do you use a hosting website? I just go straight from my computer - not fast but not terrible.
LT7A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 08:01 AM   #105
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Glad to hear it is still going.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote