The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
Perpendicular

Found a use for my ShamWow - or, what are your thoughts on the updated steering wheel

My truck came with what appears to be a period correct Chevrolet sport steering wheel. I didn't like the color but did not want to destroy what I had so I bought a leather cover for it in hopes of getting it to blend in more.

Well, today's covers are for thicker wheels so I had to improvise using things readily available to see if I even like the look. No harm no foul in this process.

Shamwow has come to my rescue once again! Just when I didn't know I needed one, there they were at every trinket show and on TV. Then, just when I had forgotten they were in the cabinet, there they were - willing to be cut up and used as a filler for my wheel.

I have not decided if I am going to leave it this way just yet, but I am going to check it out for a while.

What do y'all think?

Perpendicular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
Perpendicular

Re: Found a use for my ShamWow - or, what are your thoughts on the updated steering w

Oh, and the leather steering wheel cover, including the thread and needle was less than $7. I bought a red lace one as well and may swap them out, once I am at that stage but used this as my trial run so to speak and holding on to the other for now.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:39 PM   #3
Sweeet67

Re: Found a use for my ShamWow - or, what are your thoughts on the updated steering w

I say it looks pretty darn good. Good job
Sweeet67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
harpo231

sham WOW !
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

That turned out way better that I expected when I started reading this thread. I would leave it like that and see how you like it after awhile.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #6
jocko

Nice job, however, your wheel looked pretty good to begin with, but seems didn't really match the interior. I gotta ask, is it too mushy with the chamois in there?
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:44 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Too thick. Kills the vintage look. Hey, you asked. But I have to commend your ingenuity. Steering wheel covers for modern steering wheels are silly. It's like wearing two pair of gloves. The whole idea of making steering wheels thicker and soft is to be like having a cover on an old school wheel. You can buy period correct steering wheel covers (so made for older wheels) called Sport Grip

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...9aACCDo&adurl=

Another option would be sell that OEM "Comfort Grip" wheel and buy a reproduction. It's what came on muscle cars. The originals are worth enough to pay for a new one in the color you need. There are exact replicas as well as ones with thicker spongy rim.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 11-18-2017 at 07:58 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:52 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Cool looking wrap. I'd like to find an old school leather wrap that laces on. I don't like the bulbous ones at the parts store.

On a side note, have you pegged that speedo?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:53 PM   #9
hjewell2

that's about the only thing a sham wow is good for...
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:36 AM   #10
Perpendicular

Jocko - It does seem mushy, maybe even a little too mushy. I have to get it out on the road to see though. Maybe today!

Special-K - Yeah, I agree it may be too modern for what look I am after as well. So far this project has cost me less than $10 and some time so I am OK with figuring it out. I am on the hunt for the same wheel in Red actually and this is a stop gap if I even find one. The Sport Grip always looked cheesy with the huge thread going all around the cover - very 1980's

SteeveeDee - No, not yet anyway!

Thank you all for the compliments and comments!

-Paul
Old 11-18-2017, 12:44 PM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Found a use for my ShamWow - or, what are your thoughts on the updated steering w

Nice job sir looks great!

If you ever have problems with your hands like me...(carpal tunnel) you will be glad you did this. My doctor told me to make the steering wheel as fat as I could. I had both hands done and my leather wrapped steering wheel is fantastic. I drive my truck a bunch and it's helped me a lot.

I can drive the 56 are the 64 to my dad's house and my hands are sore afterwards. Not when I drive my truck.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:58 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

I think this worked out well. And if it gets you by till you find your red wheel... there ya go!

Those sport Grips are actually period correct for these trucks. They've been out since the '60s. I guess for me I'd rather have a look from an era these trucks have been through than from now. Different strokes. I bought a really nice looking OEM saddle steering wheel no one else was buying because it had cracks where the rim meets the spokes. It was only $60. I removed the Sport Grip from a trashy wheel off a truck I had and put it on. Looks great (I think) with cracks hidden
Name:  IMG_2654.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  55.2 KB
Everyone has different hands and comfort requirements. With arthritis in my fingers and hands fatter is worse. Driving not so bad, but fatter just bugs me. It's not like I am grabbing the steering wheel the whole time I drive. Now riding the Harley is another story. I ran the cushion grips everybody runs out and buys when mine was new ('90). A long ride caused lasting pain in my hands. Riding in cold with gloves on I could barely grip or twist to full throttle. I went back to the simple originals of a smaller diameter and years later, with arthritis only getting worse, that is what's best for me. I also get quicker throttle action from the smaller diameter

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #13
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

When i bought my truck in 2014 this is what was on the steering wheel and I think it had been there a long time cause when I took it off there was lots of dust on the steering wheel. I removed the original and installed the pictured Le Carra wheel. The original black non cracked wheel is safely tucked away.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #14
toms68cst

I like it!
Attached Images

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote