The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
Max1775

Talking New Bench Seat Cushion

My 85 K20 had the original seat cushion in it. The previous owner who is a good friend of mine and my next door neighbor recovered the seat a few years ago, but it seemed really low and felt like I was sitting on the floorboard. Ordered a new cushion from USA 1 and some hog rings and pliers from Amazon. Pulled the seat, removed the cover, tightened the springs and had it all back together in just over 2 hours. Heck of a lot easier than I had imagined and luckily the frame and springs were in decent shape. All I can say is WOW! It made a huge difference. If I'd have known it was this simple, I'd have done this on my last 3 trucks. Don't be afraid to tackle this one yourself. My butt is much happier now and I don't look like a gangsta driving my truck anymore...
Attached Images

Max1775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:27 PM   #2
TKCR

Re: New Bench Seat Cushion

The new cushions are a big improvement, just too bad Its a little on the pricey side. You did a good job on your seat!!
I would use them on every seat I rebuild.

Last edited by TKCR; 11-18-2017 at 08:33 PM.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:23 PM   #3
Max1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
The new cushions are a big improvement, just too bad Its a little on the pricey side. You did a good job on your seat!!
I would use them on every seat I rebuild.
Cheapest I could find was $200 from USA1. Definitely not cheap, but well worth it for me. May be the best upgrade I've done in a long time!
Max1775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max1775 View Post
Cheapest I could find was $200 from USA1. Definitely not cheap, but well worth it for me. May be the best upgrade I've done in a long time!
I bought several from there at a decent price, since I bought them at the same time. They also brought them to a Swap Meet here in Ohio. So I just went and picked them up from the Swap Meet. That alone saved a bunch of $$$ on shipping. But your right, it is worth the extra money spent.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #5
TKCR

Sending you a PM
Old 11-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
Mattchu60

I ordered a new cushion myself this week along with a new cover (just like yours pictured). I'm glad to hear that it was easy to install and also a big improvement!

Upon review of the stock spring setup on the bench, I think it could be improved. I am going to see if I can work in some "zigzag" springs that the modern seats use - i really dislike the springy feeling of the stock bench, would like something with a firmer feeling.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #7
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattchu60 View Post
I ordered a new cushion myself this week along with a new cover (just like yours pictured). I'm glad to hear that it was easy to install and also a big improvement!

Upon review of the stock spring setup on the bench, I think it could be improved. I am going to see if I can work in some "zigzag" springs that the modern seats use - i really dislike the springy feeling of the stock bench, would like something with a firmer feeling.
I believe those zigzag springs could be used, as long as you can get enough that are long enough to go front to back of the frame. This is how the 73-80 seats are. see pic. Just weld them to the frame along the front & back. I think it's a really good idea. Or get a new grid from USA1 Industries. I haven't gotten one yet, but I would bet they are a bit firmer than the 30+ yr old ones. I came across a salvage seat, that I swore had a newer grid. And It was tighter & firmer than the others. So that could be an option.
Attached Images