The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2016, 11:56 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Anyone restore A/C Duct Air ("diverter box") flappers?

Nice work at a reasonable price and I know someone interested. Hopefully I'm not breaking any board rules here.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:10 AM   #2
F.A.A.benny

Re: Anyone restore A/C Duct Air ("diverter box") flappers?

I consider that a throw away item once the flapper door breaks. Sucks because they aren't exactly cheap either. With it being made out of plastic, and the way the whole diverter box is constructed (and also being made out of plastic), there isn't much that can be done. Although I have seen some attempts at fixing the door with wood, sheet metal, and glue. I have only "restored" those that have a good flapper door
Attached Images

F.A.A.benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:01 AM   #3
Papa Smurf

I just bumped up an old thread where I showed how to make a permanent repair to the flapper. saves a ton of money and keeps your truck original. Look under "air regulator question".
72 Chevy SWB, Factory BB, Leaf Spring
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
F.A.A.benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
I just bumped up an old thread where I showed how to make a permanent repair to the flapper. saves a ton of money and keeps your truck original. Look under "air regulator question".
Just looked at your pics. That's the cleanest way I've seen it done. Great way to save a nice chunk of change.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #5
100%Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
I just used your method! Finished it about an hour ago and it works perfect!
Thank you!
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Observation: I've seen a few NOS diverter boxes and they all have one thing in common, which is the pin on the lever is more narrow than the original from my truck. Really, the entire lever isn't built quite as well.

Don't know if any of you guys have experienced problems, and would be interesting to hear, but I do know of one member whose pin broke when he tried to attach the cable wire.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 03-05-2016 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:46 PM   #7
F.A.A.benny

I've noticed the same thing.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:33 AM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Chevy View Post
I just used your method! Finished it about an hour ago and it works perfect!
Thank you!
Mike.
What I can't visualize about the method is that flapper is controlled by the hinge, which is controlled by the lever etc.. How is the lever able to work properly? Seems the piece of sheet metal would have to sit tightly around the hinge. Any play and it won't operate. I'm probably missing something....

If it matters, the rubber around my hinge is wasted. I can spin the lever and it doesn't lock, which brings me to my next question. If it's handy, which direction should the pin side of the lever face, and the position of the flapper, when you lock it down? I think I know, but confirmation would be great.

Here's your thread. Thanks Pappa: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=338890

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 03-05-2016 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #9
100%Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
What I can't visualize about the method is that flapper is controlled by the hinge, which is controlled by the lever etc.. How is the lever able to work properly? Seems the piece of sheet metal would have to sit tightly around the hinge. Any play and it won't operate. I'm probably missing something....

If it matters, the rubber around my hinge is wasted. I can spin the lever and it doesn't lock, which brings me to my next question. If it's handy, which direction should the pin side of the lever face, and the position of the flapper, when you lock it down? I think I know, but confirmation would be great.

Here's your thread. Thanks Pappa: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=338890
When you bend the strap around a 3/8" bolt,it is smaller than the plastic covering the shaft of the diverter.If it's gone from yours,you may want to tack weld the strap to the shaft.
Once you put it on the flapper shaft the tension of the strap held by the screws makes it very tight!
The angle of the lever when in the a/c "on" position(switch closed) will have the flapper all the way closed.
I had to screw the cable clamp a few turns to fine tune mine so that the flapper worked full distance both ways with the control.
Mike.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:46 PM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I see. Didn't notice the plastic before, or what's left of it. I don't have a welder, but I may be able to come up with something. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:44 AM   #11
100%Chevy

I did mine by copying what I got from here on the site.
The metal strap I used is a common rafter tie or what we call a hurricane strap.
Look here for the post--

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=338890

Scroll down and he shows it in great detail and very easy to do!

Mike./