The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #4551
NorCalGal

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Hey Brian, is this High st in Oakland? My Great Grandparents lived at 2516 High st from 1910 to the late fifties.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #4552
NorCalGal

Hey Brian, is that High St in Oakland? My great grandparents lived at 2516 High st from 1910 to the late 50’s
Old 07-17-2020, 08:28 PM   #4553
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGal View Post
Hey Brian, is this High st in Oakland? My Great Grandparents lived at 2516 High st from 1910 to the late fifties.
No, it's in Fremont.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:44 AM   #4554
mick53

I finished my engine stand. I bought the bottom part at an auction for $30 and altered it a little. The top part I made out of an old cherry picker leg. I only had to do it twice. My engine has been upside down on a wooden rack. I had to use the "I have no friends" method to turn it over. It was scary. The new rack is amazingly stable and a nice working height. I was afraid it was going to be top heavy. The stand weighs well over a hundred pounds.
Attached Images

mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:49 AM   #4555
MARTINSR

My five minutes last night, I got the Left side spring bracket removed from the hood. And spent about 20 minutes going over my plan on the hood. I can't believe how complex this thing is!

Brian

Old 07-18-2020, 09:08 PM   #4556
mick53

I played with my lathe for the first time. My SFI damper is based on big block Chevy. This adapter goes from big block Chevy damper to standard blower pulley pattern. It also allows me to change the blower pulley without loosening the crank trigger. They don't make such a thing but they do make a V pulley with the right centers. This started it's life as that. I had a machinist cut the back of the pulley off but it still looked like half a V belt pulley. I made it a little smaller, squared up the flange and put a radius on the inside corner. It looks much better now. They sent me a slip fit mock up damper hub that is on there now.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2020, 10:34 PM   #4557
iowaboynca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
No, it's in Fremont.

Brian
Oakland, Fremont, Hayward...same thing...
Old 07-18-2020, 11:25 PM   #4558
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
I played with my lathe for the first time. My SFI damper is based on big block Chevy. This adapter goes from big block Chevy damper to standard blower pulley pattern. It also allows me to change the blower pulley without loosening the crank trigger. They don't make such a thing but they do make a V pulley with the right centers. This started it's life as that. I had a machinist cut the back of the pulley off but it still looked like half a V belt pulley. I made it a little smaller, squared up the flange and put a radius on the inside corner. It looks much better now. They sent me a slip fit mock up damper hub that is on there now.
That engine is one trick pony!
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 12:24 AM   #4559
NorCalGal

Quote:
Can’t wait for a start up video of that beast.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:58 AM   #4560
MARTINSR

Quote:
Right on!

Brian

Old 07-19-2020, 09:59 AM   #4561
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaboynca View Post
Oakland, Fremont, Hayward...same thing...
LOL, not really. It seems that way to me now that I am 700 miles from there it's simply "The bay area" but when I was there, nope, Fremont was a whole different thing.

Brian

Old 07-19-2020, 03:44 PM   #4562
mick53

Finished fitment on my water pump and did a little mocking up and thread chasing. This is a really nice race head built by Gaerte Racing Engines. I have a blower manifold for it but I think I'm using a different head. I have the oil pump input and the bypass blocked off but need to figure how to mind meld an AN fitting on the main input. I also need to make a distributor block off plate. I can't find anyone that makes them for a 292. Not enough belly buttons.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2020, 05:56 PM   #4563
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
I finished my engine stand. I bought the bottom part at an auction for $30 and altered it a little. The top part I made out of an old cherry picker leg. I only had to do it twice. My engine has been upside down on a wooden rack. I had to use the "I have no friends" method to turn it over. It was scary. The new rack is amazingly stable and a nice working height. I was afraid it was going to be top heavy. The stand weighs well over a hundred pounds.
Beautiful banger! Heck, your custom engine stand is nicer than my whole truck!
Old 07-19-2020, 09:42 PM   #4564
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Beautiful banger! Heck, your custom engine stand is nicer than my whole truck!
LOL. I have $30 in it. I never feel safe with these long 6's hanging off of the standard cheap stand that I have.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:04 AM   #4565
Michel

Long time I have not posted. On Saturday, I went to buy some furnitures for the roof. Leaving the shop and arriving at a crossroads I have removed my foot from the accelerator pedal but engine rpm has not decreased. Pedal didn't returned to normal position...I was in city centre! I have stopped a little bit further to investigate. Not too difficult to find the cause. The pedal return spring broken. I just found the small hook hanging on the rod but not the spring....at the same time I noticed that the thermostatic spring was missing. Need to find the parts and order them and wait, wait, wait. 4 years without troubles either.
Michel from France
Old 07-21-2020, 09:10 PM   #4566
Black_Sheep

Drove to the nursing home to visit my Dad. It really needs a bath, I’ve spent a lot more time driving this summer than I have cleaning...
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:50 PM   #4567
mejum

back in May i noticed that my factory (standard) heater was leaking from the core. the cost estimate to have the factory/standard core repaired exceeded $300, so i decided to purchase a Vintage Air heater unit for $250 instead. i initially installed the VA unit to utilize one of the existing water lines running thru the firewall, but didn't like the appearance (the heater unit hung lower under the dash and the control valve looked out of place in the engine bay), so i uninstalled everything and reinstalled the unit so it was a little more hidden. had to pop some new holes in the firewall (and order some firewall plugs to hide my mistakes ��) and now you'd really have to look to see where i screwed up.

anyhow, got the heater installed just in-time for *checks calendar* August...

mejum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:57 PM   #4568
vintovka

I like it. The Vintage unit and controls are neat. I was in a hurry and bought a jegs 3 outlet heater so i could use the 3rd one to run up to my defroster. It is WAY too big for my little cab and will drive you out. I have a mechanical shutoff and cab will heat comfortably WITHOUT THE FAN if shutoff is open!!!!!!!! I would remind those installing heaters with screw type hose clamps to position the screw so you can easily get to it for occasionally tightening if needed.
Attached Images

vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:37 PM   #4569
mick53

The new cross flow head for my 292 arrived.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2020, 05:20 PM   #4570
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejum View Post
back in May i noticed that my factory (standard) heater was leaking from the core. the cost estimate to have the factory/standard core repaired exceeded $300, so i decided to purchase a Vintage Air heater unit for $250 instead.
That seems like a bargain price for such a quality unit.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:01 PM   #4571
MARTINSR

Quote:
The new cross flow head for my 292 arrived.
WOW! Let's see it!

Brian

Old 07-27-2020, 11:35 PM   #4572
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
WOW! Let's see it!

Brian
I'm a little afraid to open it. The cool morning sounds good.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:34 PM   #4573
Johns327

I didn’t care for the look of the Vintage Air blower and I was looking for some way to lower its noise level. I came up with this cover idea which did get rid of the ugly and it moved the blower frequency down a bit. Not sure how many db’s because I don’t have a meter. I drafted and printed out the cover and thru in a couple of LEDs to lite it up. Too dang much time on my hands!
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2020, 11:46 PM   #4574
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns327 View Post
I didn’t care for the look of the Vintage Air blower and I was looking for some way to lower its noise level. I came up with this cover idea which did get rid of the ugly and it moved the blower frequency down a bit. Not sure how many db’s because I don’t have a meter. I drafted and printed out the cover and thru in a couple of LEDs to lite it up. Too dang much time on my hands!
Lookin' good, and nice job on the dash vents!
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:53 PM   #4575
Johns327

Bob, Thanks! Those corner vents are from Vintage Air and they fit the cab dash nicely. I’ve been debating painting the mounts to match the dash and leave the center finish as is.

I also didn’t care for the Vintage Air below dash vents. I put in a center vent which needed a plenum to get by the wiper arms and the radio… very ugly. Then I drafted up and printed the lower vent with the “55” in it with some LEDs to back light that. Still way too much time on my hands!
Attached Images