The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2015, 04:55 AM   #1
Foxcroft80

advice on speakers?

Hi All,

I have a '68 c10 with currently a clean dash (face plate where radio once was). I like this look a lot as it keeps the inside simple. There is an iPhone hook up in the glove box which goes out to a Kicker brain mounted under the dash. Currently my only 2 speakers are a 6" on either side of the kick panels. These were all in one speaker kick panel set.

Anyway, I need to get some more speakers in my truck to round out the sound. I'm not looking to spend a million buck but do appreciate a decent system in my vehicles. My gas tank is still mounted behind the bench seat so the only real estate free is under the seat, which doesn't have a ton of clearance. Any ideas on speakers to look at, or do I need to get custom boxes made?

Thanks,
Foxcroft-
Foxcroft80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
ratedrookie

Re: advice on speakers?

When you say a Kicker brain under the dash, are you referring to an amp or some kind of processor? What is currently powering your 6" speakers? What kind of speakers are loaded in those kick panels? My guess would be that those all-in-one kick panel/speaker combos leave a lot to be desired since most use a generic coaxial speaker.

I'm not familiar with the cab of a '68 but it definitely sounds like your space is limited with the tank behind the seat. If you are looking to add a subwoofer under the seat, your only real options are shallow mount subwoofers and even those will be a tight fit. There are many on the market now depending on your budget.

Another option, depending on how much space you have behind your dash, you can build a custom enclosure that will tuck behind and/or under your dash using some 6.5" subwoofers. Take a look at some Tang Band 6.5" subwoofers that are very reasonably priced and will definitely "round out the sound" in your truck.
ratedrookie is offline   Reply With Quote