The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2020, 10:29 PM   #4101
MiraclePieCo

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

I fabricated a wooden shift knob to match my steering wheel. I like the wood controls, they stay comfortable in hot sun.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2020, 03:00 PM   #4102
Kevin Mac

I have been putting trac lock in my F**d 9". First time working on a differential. I am using my used set of gears but a different case. Both cases didn't have any shims under pinion carrier. I have put in a .007 shim, no shim, anywhere from .015 to .005 backlash and the pattern doesn't hardly change. What do you think? I did replace all bearings and a Yukon carrier.
Mac
Attached Images

Kevin Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:37 PM   #4103
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Mac View Post
I have been putting trac lock in my F**d 9". First time working on a differential. I am using my used set of gears but a different case. Both cases didn't have any shims under pinion carrier. I have put in a .007 shim, no shim, anywhere from .015 to .005 backlash and the pattern doesn't hardly change. What do you think? I did replace all bearings and a Yukon carrier.
Mac
Pinion looks to be riding out the outside and deep. Would bring it in and see what it looks like followed by adding more as needed.
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #4104
mikebte

After a looooong summer of moving, dealing with my dad catching a case of cancer (He beat it) and everything else life gives us to deal with I was finally able to work on my emergency brake set up. Wire brushed some of the old parts I'll be using and shot some paint on. Currently waiting some PB blast to set in on other parts. The original lock washer gave up the ghost but I was able to track down a matching washer in my box of randoms..
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2020, 08:10 PM   #4105
Kevin Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebte View Post
Pinion looks to be riding out the outside and deep. Would bring it in and see what it looks like followed by adding more as needed.
Thanks Mikebte, the top picture is drive side and bottom is coast side. There are not any shims on pinion now, also the pattern is to the inside of gear ( I believe that is called the toe). I will put about .015 shim in tomorrow and see what that gives me.
Mac
Old 01-04-2020, 08:52 PM   #4106
dsraven

check out this link. maybe help you with the gear set up.

https://www.canadawideparts.com/down...th_pattern.pdf
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:45 PM   #4107
Kevin Mac

Thanks dsraven, I have done a lot of looking at pictures, most are for new gear sets, I may have to settle for the best I can get. I thought maybe a new set of eyes might help and wanted to join in on the thread for a minute.
I'm also changing out my th350 for a 2004r, and going with AN fittings for fluid lines.
Mac
Old 01-05-2020, 05:36 PM   #4108
Black_Sheep

All I can do is look at it...
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:41 PM   #4109
Black_Sheep

I tried 3 times and it’s still upside down, WTH?
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:21 PM   #4110
89AKurt

We got big snow in Arizona LOL, needed to put gravel on the end of the driveway where the truck is parked. This is the second 1/2 ton, it sort of disappears when spread out.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:35 PM   #4111
mikebte

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89AKurt View Post
We got big snow in Arizona LOL, needed to put gravel on the end of the driveway where the truck is parked. This is the second 1/2 ton, it sort of disappears when spread out.
Ya, that rock goes quick! One thing I always loved living in Dewey was it would snow and be melted by 10 am, lol.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #4112
Black93GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
I tried 3 times and it’s still upside down, WTH?
Are you using the Australian website??
Old 01-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #4113
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black93GT View Post
Are you using the Australian website??
Haha!
Old 01-12-2020, 02:33 PM   #4114
Dachshund

I marked out and cut a hole in the floor for the battery access. Then welded up a frame for a door. Not much, but it's cold in the shop, and the dirt floor got flooded in the rain we had - now it's frozen and slick!
Dachshund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:55 PM   #4115
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post
I marked out and cut a hole in the floor for the battery access. Then welded up a frame for a door. Not much, but it's cold in the shop, and the dirt floor got flooded in the rain we had - now it's frozen and slick!
Good for you! I complain because my shop is crowded, It's heated with a concrete floor and a lift. Maybe I complain too much.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:51 PM   #4116
Dachshund

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
Good for you! I complain because my shop is crowded, It's heated with a concrete floor and a lift. Maybe I complain too much.
I am accepting donations for concrete!
Dachshund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:11 PM   #4117
MARTINSR

Well, it's been 5 months since I moved and I finally got the truck unpacked and unburied! I had a bunch of stuff in the cab tied down with giant nylon ties, it's all out and I can soon get back to work on it! WHOOOO HOOOOO
I was working on it every single day with my five minute a day plan and getting something done. It goes to show you that even just five minutes a day you are going to get it done a lot faster than if you didn't work on it at all!

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:56 PM   #4118
MARTINSR

Well, I didn't get anything really done on the truck today but I enjoyed bolting on my eBay treasure that came in the mail.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2020, 12:50 AM   #4119
MARTINSR

Ok, this isn't a "Man Cave" this is a "She Shed" but I just finished assembling this Husky adjustable height two drawer table I got for my wife. HOLY CRAP this is a super quality, strong table! You could built a motor on this thing! We got it at the Home Depot for $229. One without the drawers is about $199. No kidding, wish I had this in the garage, if I had the room one would be there tomorrow. It comes with nice locking 3" caster wheels. It's model number HOLT5202BJ1/307723266

Brian
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2020, 03:11 AM   #4120
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Well, it's been 5 months since I moved and I finally got the truck unpacked and unburied! I had a bunch of stuff in the cab tied down with giant nylon ties, it's all out and I can soon get back to work on it! WHOOOO HOOOOO
I was working on it every single day with my five minute a day plan and getting something done. It goes to show you that even just five minutes a day you are going to get it done a lot faster than if you didn't work on it at all!

Brian
The truck's looking great. Glad no parts blew off on the highway during the move. Looking forward to you resuming your regular reports.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:48 AM   #4121
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
The truck's looking great. Glad no parts blew off on the highway during the move. Looking forward to you resuming your regular reports.
I came VERY close to a serious issue though! I had it on the trailer behind my Uhaul van. At about half way we stopped for a bite to eat and I went around it on the trailer checking tie downs and stuff. I noticed that one of the front wheels was turned quite a bit! I looked under to find that I hadn't tightened up the ball joints and one nut was about to fall off! YEOW, that was something else! This was about half way, with the next few hundred miles through VERY desolate area with a hour between gas stations. It would NOT have been good that's for sure! We didn't get here till about midnight, out there at that time, that would NOT have been good!

To add to that my son was following me in his Miata. A few days after we got here he was out driving the car and the motor overheated apparently the head gasket blew! If this would have happened out there, holy crap!

Then to top it off, I had left my '65 Gran Sport at my old house in California to go back and get later. I decided to sell it, for a couple reasons, one, I had a full garage here and second, I it wasn't a "snow car" and third that drive, that drive, I was freaked about taking the Gran Sport with 15 year old tires (one of the tires had blown on the trailer bringing my motor to my brother just weeks before so that was in my head) so I went back to my house in California and sold the car out of the garage driving back here without it.

Well the guy who bought it drove it home 150 miles or so and around town a bit and WHAM, the friggin thing had a knock! To make a long story short the heads had to be pulled off to fix it! I would have been out on the highway in the Sierras when that happened if I had drove it here! HOLY CRAP did I dodge a few bullets!

Brian
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2020, 10:00 AM   #4122
nvrdone

some times its better to be lucky than good. glad you made the trip safely. just by chance were you on hwy 95 north of Winnemucca when all this happened? ive driven that route a few times and its really along way between towns.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:49 PM   #4123
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
some times its better to be lucky than good. glad you made the trip safely. just by chance were you on hwy 95 north of Winnemucca when all this happened? ive driven that route a few times and its really along way between towns.
Yes, I was in Winnemucca when I found the tie rod ends loose. And I have to tell you, hwy 80 is pretty open (the first photo is on 80), 95 to Boise (about four hours!), holy crap (the second photo)! The real bad part is you loose cell connection over and over for a half hour or so. The last photo was at one of the very few gas stations along the way. When my wife and our daughter drove there a few weeks before my son and I went my wife called to tell me that they had gotten separated and we lost connection by phone with our daughter! An hour or so went by before we got a hold of her. During that time her brother and my hearts were ripped out! We were DESTROYED for an hour! When we got to Idaho to my wife and her I didn't know if I wanted to hug her guts out or spank her butt black and blue! OMG that was a hard night in my life!

Brian
Attached Images

Last edited by MARTINSR; 01-14-2020 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:00 AM   #4124
mick53

I started cleaning up the casting on my high flow water pump for the 292. Step one is just getting down to clean metal and remove casting marks then I'll start smoothin. Should I use high temp, self etching or 2k primer?
Attached Images

mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:36 PM   #4125
Marty68

"Should I use high temp, self etching or 2k primer?"
I would use epoxy for best adhesion. then if it will get painted single stage color
Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote