The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
daddybooz

'68 ?'s from a Virgin

Hi fellas,

First off awesome forum! I've been glued since I made my purchase a short time ago! So many ideas, plans and of course, now money!

I've waited quite awhile for this truck to come up and low and behold it's now in my shop! It's a '68, C10 lwb, not the original motor as I intend to resto-mod it anyway. Keep the stock appearing look while adding modern improvements. Long term plans, BB and stock in a rubber company!

First off, a drop and disc kit. In reading several disc kits, seen that the original wheels will not work?? Currently after market chrome steelies 15" 6 lugs, are on it from previous Owner(s) and I'm fine with that. I might even keep the 15's for my final wheel size, not sure yet. Does the rotor change the location of the wheel from stock, with drop spindles? Will these work if I drop and disc it? Also assuming that I'd only be able to install a 12" rotor, correct?

Attached are a couple photos for reference, hope it works!

Thanks in advance, this is the first of many questions that I will have you all!

Daddybooz
Attached Images

Ceramic center dumps, custom 2 1/2" SS all the way back w/MagnaFlows
2"/4" drop on 15's
daddybooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
michael bustamante

Re: '68 ?'s from a Virgin

nice lookin truck, reds always a good color.
converting to disk in the front? first thing youll notice is that the front wheels will stick out more than your rear, If youre going 5 on 5 lugs then youll most likely want to find a 71-72 rear end to swap out to even out your wheel width
Old 03-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
BluTrukker
BOHICA

Welcome to the board! Sweet truck, I love the color.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

If i were you id buy conversion disc brake spindles (uses your existing tierod ends/balljoints and accepts a disc brake rotor, then order a 6 lug rotor/bearings. while your at it flush the lines replace rubber lines new calipers and a power booster if ya dont have it. also disc will require diff. MC. good luck any ? just ask someone will answer

NICE TRUCK any more pics what kinda motor

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
daddybooz

Thanks guys for the help!

oldblue, I like your thinking or I was thinking near the same! Would like to keep the 6 lug/15" option going. 4/6 drop kit from ECE or CPP with their respective disc kit. Would like it to work with the wheels I have, for now.

It has a 305 in it that runs great. Not the original motor. They installed a Hurst floor shift kit in it which makes it fun to drive! Originally was a 3 on the tree.

Will post more pics later!

Love this forum!
2"/4" drop on 15's
Old 03-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
daddybooz

Hi guys,
I'm back from one last snowmobile trip for the season, now it's time to work on truck again!

The speedo doesnt work, so I've verified that the cable spins. When re-installing the cable on the speedo, the speedo spun and the needle moved, so that works. Then looked at the other end, all teeth are there but could not remove the gear from the tranny housing. Is it not lining up with the drive gear inside the tranny? If I cant get it out, does one have to pull the tail shaft off?? I'm stuck on this one.

The pinion seal leaks like a sieve! So I've looked at a couple posts here and that looks pretty straight forward. Got the new seal just need time now!

A couple more pics, will get more!

Thanks for your help!

Robert
Attached Images

2"/4" drop on 15's
Old 03-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddybooz View Post
Thanks guys for the help!

oldblue, I like your thinking or I was thinking near the same! Would like to keep the 6 lug/15" option going. 4/6 drop kit from ECE or CPP with their respective disc kit. Would like it to work with the wheels I have, for now.

It has a 305 in it that runs great. Not the original motor. They installed a Hurst floor shift kit in it which makes it fun to drive! Originally was a 3 on the tree.

Will post more pics later!

Love this forum!
I'm assuming a 305 v8? I don't think I've ever heard of a 305 v6 being swapped in but you never know
Nice looking truck! I think the disks will fit fine with the 15" rims, if anything needs bigger rims I would think it would be the drop spindles. I'm sure someone out there knows the answer though.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
ERASER5

While you look at disc brake kits, look at CPP. I believe they had a spindle kit that did not widen the front track width, or at least less. Look in the suspension forum. A rep from CPP regularly posts and has his contact info.

Right now, my front track is wider than my rear track and it bugs me, but i want to keep my D60, so I just deal.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote