The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2019, 11:59 PM   #1
bigdaddy4x4

bypass knock sensors ?

anyone know if you can bypass the knock senors ? 6.0 2006 dbw lq4
bigdaddy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:06 AM   #2
rennat_2006

Re: bypass knock sensors ?

Im sure you can with tuning but why would you want to?
2006 2500hd- 500hp duramax/built allison trans,traction bars, and some other goodies.
rennat_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #3
bigdaddy4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennat_2006 View Post
Im sure you can with tuning but why would you want to?
well I have been getting a code p0332 rear knock senor .I have put in both knock sensors and the wiring harness and it keeps throwing that code and when it throws the code the engine will not speed up pass half throttle it kinda acts like it goes in limp mode and I can clear the code and it will do good for a while and then go back to half throttle weird ??
Old 03-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Worker you got bad knock sensors, did you tighten them or torque them down? If it's a good sensor and torqued to spec, you might have real knock which the pcm ls picking up and trying to prevent engine damage..

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:01 AM   #5
First c10

What kind of motor mounts are you running? Are they loose or hard? I have heard some having issues with them throwing KS codes
1970 C10 Yellow/White Deluxe LWB w/ 5.3L-LC9/6L80E
1968 K10 LWB Dark green my son calls it "THE HULK Jr"HULK JR *SOLD*
GO GO!!!
First c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
bigdaddy4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by First c10 View Post
What kind of motor mounts are you running? Are they loose or hard? I have heard some having issues with them throwing KS codes
i am using the one like this they are new and don't move around any . but I have seen them when worn move around .. or it could be the dang 8 inch spring lift and 38 tires I am running it rides like a buckboard wagon with square tires so I can see how it could affect the knock sensors
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #7
First c10

Could be the lift!!! but need a picture of the truck to tell!!!
GO GO!!!
Old 03-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

So fwiw, knock is expressed as Kr* (knock retard in degrees), and counts. There is a threshold value to trigger the code, which can be modified. Kr* is the amount of knock, counts are the # of instances of knock. There is also predictive knock, and burst knock.

Knock being triggered by detonation, fueling etc will show increase in kr* and show count instances that correlate to the issue (i.e. at a certain rpm, load etc). These will usually be small or incremental changes in kr* .

If there are instances of single very large knock counts resulting in high kr*, it will show as a spike on the log, usually a spike too large to be caused by an internal failure that didn't cause catastrophic failure. These are usually things like exhaust manifolds contacting other hard parts, mounts flexing, solid mounted motors etc. I've had this happen before from a crossover pipe rattling on the trans xmember and triggering knock counts.

Now with all that being said, there are certain situations in which the sensitivity of the knock sensors needs to be modified. Some cars running motor plates, massive lifts, baja/mud trucks which jump or hit frequently etc. This needs to be done in HP tuners, and should be done by someone who is familiar with the running condition of the car. If done correctly, it won't affect the functional running of the vehicle in terms of safety, the motor will still detect and log ACTUAL knock, but it will be less likely to trigger false codes from external causation.

There are many low end tuners who will actually nerf the knock sensors to not trigger codes on their tunes so they look better. I can show you plenty from a few individuals who used to operate in Chicagoland.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #9
First c10

Nice. Good info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
So fwiw, knock is expressed as Kr* (knock retard in degrees), and counts. There is a threshold value to trigger the code, which can be modified. Kr* is the amount of knock, counts are the # of instances of knock. There is also predictive knock, and burst knock.

Knock being triggered by detonation, fueling etc will show increase in kr* and show count instances that correlate to the issue (i.e. at a certain rpm, load etc). These will usually be small or incremental changes in kr* .

If there are instances of single very large knock counts resulting in high kr*, it will show as a spike on the log, usually a spike too large to be caused by an internal failure that didn't cause catastrophic failure. These are usually things like exhaust manifolds contacting other hard parts, mounts flexing, solid mounted motors etc. I've had this happen before from a crossover pipe rattling on the trans xmember and triggering knock counts.

Now with all that being said, there are certain situations in which the sensitivity of the knock sensors needs to be modified. Some cars running motor plates, massive lifts, baja/mud trucks which jump or hit frequently etc. This needs to be done in HP tuners, and should be done by someone who is familiar with the running condition of the car. If done correctly, it won't affect the functional running of the vehicle in terms of safety, the motor will still detect and log ACTUAL knock, but it will be less likely to trigger false codes from external causation.

There are many low end tuners who will actually nerf the knock sensors to not trigger codes on their tunes so they look better. I can show you plenty from a few individuals who used to operate in Chicagoland.
GO GO!!!