The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2019, 06:47 PM   #1
hdixon

Vintage air

Can anyone share some information on vintage air? I am attempting to install vintage air in my 69 step side however I can't get my hands around how to connect or convert the fitting coming from the ECU to the bulkhead using a vintage air manifold what fitting do I need to make the connection correctly?

Last edited by hdixon; 03-15-2019 at 07:04 PM.
hdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
p0508

Re: Vintage air

Are you using one of their bulkhead plates? If so, those are:

Fitting Size 1: #6 air conditioning
Fitting Size 2: #10 air conditioning
Fitting Size 3: #10 air conditioning
Fitting Size 4: #10 air conditioning

(some of them are #8 and #10)

https://www.jegs.com/i/VPA/960/35704...BoCxPIQAvD_BwE

I think you're looking for something like this.

If all else fails the fellas at vintage air tech super are super nice and easy to deal with and can get you what you need.

https://www.vintageair.com/hose-kits.../?get_all=true

Last edited by p0508; 03-16-2019 at 10:03 AM.
p0508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
hdixon

Sorry if I am not getting the full picture. the 4 port manifold that I have can it be used at the bulkhead to connect the a/c lines coming from the ECU. the 35704-VUD kit looks like it is to connect a/c the lines together without using the 4 port manifold
Old 03-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #4
renegade6

You can use it without or without the manifold. If you use the manifold, you will have to end up fabricating your own lines for everything behind the firewall to the AC unit. If you are using their entire kit, you won't need the manifold.
72 K20 Long bed stepside (wife's)
72 K20 Long bed 396 (flip or keep...?)
The latest build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...76#post8438476
renegade6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:27 PM   #5
hdixon

I, played with this all day looking for the correct fitting to use the manifold but no go. I just thought the firewall would look a lot cleaner by using the manifold. I want to use braided line which I see I can from the firewall toward the engine. The instruction says drill all the holes 7/8" is this correct? are would that be to big for the #6 line?
Old 03-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #6
Blazerowner

I’m doing the same thing. I was thinking of using aeroquip fittings for the engine side. I think the fitting kit 0508 mentioned will work inside but it has to be crimped. Aeroquip does not.

Last edited by Blazerowner; 03-17-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:51 PM   #7
hdixon

I will check it out if I can't fine anything I just going Toby pass the manifold and use grommet if you come up with something shoot me a line please this is my first time so I am learning
Old 04-05-2019, 01:27 AM   #8
Blazerowner

So I literally have tried everything I can think of to install the evaporator and have ran into nothing but problems mainly with the heater lines. I have tried making my own AN lines and have even cut down the original hard lines to run hoses and now when I put the evaporator in the top heater hardline hits the firewall. This is using their lines that are supposed to fit. I’m at my wits end with this freaking thing. The AN line would work but there is no room where the bulkhead is. Any progress on yours?
Old 04-05-2019, 09:36 AM   #9
p0508

I'm super happy I stayed away from the manifold thing. Their firewall plate and rubber grommets may not look like a show car setup but it works.

A few tips to get the lines to go through their firewall plate:

1. Try hanging the evap in the truck with the firewall plate removed then slide the plate and grommets over the lines and bolt the plate to the firewall.

2. With the evap core out of the truck slide the firewall plate over the lines while they are lose and line them up with the plate then tighten down.

3. When you slide the evap core under the dash I remember having to tilt mine either with the lines pointing up or lines pointing down and rotating it into place. Can't remember which way I did it. But I rotated it and lines came right up to the fire wall holes I had to used my hand and give a slight bend here and there till they were through and not contacting the metal plate

4. Install the rubber grommets in the plate after you put the lines through. This gives you max room to get the lines through the plate.
p0508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:59 PM   #10
Blazerowner

So I called Vintage air and they said the supplied hard lines can be bent a little to get it in and not to try the bulkhead with the GEN IV. He said its just too tight and most used them with the GEN II.

Your suggestion for removing the plate I think will help a lot. I did consider this last night. I also thought of cutting the plate in half where the lines go through so I can just have a removable plate to put those in. I have a saw that will cut a very thin line through it. I'll try removing the whole plate first to see.

I'm still going to try and get the bulkhead to work. I really want the look of it and already bought it anyway. I have a bunch of an Fittings and I think I can get things in if I remove the plate. I think with some patience I can get it to work.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:29 PM   #11
renegade6

When I installed mine a few weeks ago, I had to pull the brackets off of the case so it would fit behind the dash and then reinstall them once I have the evaporator in place.
72 K20 Long bed stepside (wife's)
72 K20 Long bed 396 (flip or keep...?)
The latest build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...76#post8438476
renegade6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #12
Blazerowner

Mine is sliding in without the front bracket. The pictures below show what I came up with. It actually makes it much easier to have access like this. I’m just trying to get the lines the perfect length and I think I’ll be golden.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2019, 08:07 PM   #13
Blazerowner

A little more progress. I added a couple of bolts turning it into studs. Makes it a one man job to hang the evaporator. Acorn nuts make it look decent.

The lines are pretty close. May have to cut one down slightly but luckily the ends are reusable so it’s easy. I ordered another 6an fitting for the liquid line to bring it over the top of the evaporator away from the heater lines. That’s the only fitting that is a bit of a pain. Im trying keep it from touching the heater lines. I’m not sure it would be bad for it but I’m being cautious.
Attached Images