The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2019, 11:11 PM   #1
pwdcougar

Problems with 2K primer

I got a gallon of SPI 2K primer. The tech sheet says to use a 1.8 to 2.5 tip gun. My 2.0 tip gun only gave me a fan about 3” tall. My new 2.5 tip gun worked great at first. Nice fan and a nice wet finish. As I was working the fan size steadily shrank. After waiting for the flash it was down to about 3”. Increasing the psi didn’t change anything. What am I doing wrong?
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:44 AM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: Problems with 2K primer

Sounds like your vent hole is getting plugged up.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
Lanman1972

I had a similar issue with some high build primer. When I asked the paint store about this they recommended a small amount of reducer and it worked.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
MARTINSR

Call the SPI tech line and get the right information.

Brian

Old 03-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #5
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Call the SPI tech line and get the right information.

Brian
I'll give them a call on Monday. So far their tech guy has been pretty good. I can't believe how thick this stuff is. It felt like it was hardening up in the gun. Even with the activator added it had the consistency of syrup. It wasn't the cup vent as the lid was off after topping it off after the flash time.
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
Old 03-17-2019, 06:58 PM   #6
nsb29

How long did you let it activate ? not with spi but with another brand I got a gallon that was twice as thick as normal called the manufacturer they said it was probably the bottom of the barrel and to reduce it and it usually only happens with high build
Old 03-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #7
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
How long did you let it activate ? not with spi but with another brand I got a gallon that was twice as thick as normal called the manufacturer they said it was probably the bottom of the barrel and to reduce it and it usually only happens with high build
SPI 2K doesn't have an activation time on the tech sheet. It does say to mix it for over a minute. I used a mixing paddle that goes in a drill. I used a strainer when I poured it into the gun and didn't use the small internal filter in the gun. This stuff is VERY thick. Even with the activator at 4 to 1 it has the consistency of syrup. It did spray well for the first 15 minutes or so.

I had traded texts with Barry a SPI tech earlier this month. Figured I'd send a text and hear back from him on Monday morning. He responded within minutes. He said it really sounds like the vent was clogged or that the fluid tip was getting plugged up. Not sure how to correct the fluid tip clogging. There was paint build up on the air horns while spraying. Maybe I'll have to mix smaller batches in the future.

Thanks for all the replies everybody!
Old 03-18-2019, 01:43 AM   #8
MP&C

You aren't using a filter at the base of your paint cup are you? These are too fine for high build and also produce the issue you describe. If so, remove the filter. If you're using 3M PPS, tear out the screen.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:44 AM   #9
nsb29

Never used their 2K primer use their Epoxy all the time and it has a long induction time I have found with other high build primers A little reducer will let it lay down better and reduces sanding according to spi At 75° you can start sanding in 30 minutes don’t know the temperature that you were spraying it at but according to SPI you should use a reducer according to the temperature you are spraying at and which one of their primers you were spraying they recommend using 925 Retarder in summer heat if you were having problems after 15 minutes I think you need to use a reducer in order to control the dry time and as far as build goes you can always put on another coat or two in order to get the build you need
Old 03-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #10
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
Never used their 2K primer use their Epoxy all the time and it has a long induction time I have found with other high build primers A little reducer will let it lay down better and reduces sanding according to spi At 75° you can start sanding in 30 minutes don’t know the temperature that you were spraying it at but according to SPI you should use a reducer according to the temperature you are spraying at and which one of their primers you were spraying they recommend using 925 Retarder in summer heat if you were having problems after 15 minutes I think you need to use a reducer in order to control the dry time and as far as build goes you can always put on another coat or two in order to get the build you need
They never recommended a reducer for the 2K primer. It was between 65 and 70 in the garage while painting. I’ll ask.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:51 PM   #11
nsb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdcougar View Post
They never recommended a reducer for the 2K primer. It was between 65 and 70 in the garage while painting. I’ll ask.
It has a pot life of 30 to 45 minutes at around 75° It can be reduced up to 25% if you use a slower reducer it will extend the pot life and it will lay down better if you don’t have one of their Little books you should get one it has all the information in it on what when where and how do use their products I usually use a 1.8 Tip and a little reducer I go by how it sprays at the time I’m spraying it and the temperature more than a given percentage of reductionYou could probably go online and find all the information on their products or anyone else’s for that matter
Old 03-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #12
bs46488

I bought a gallon of SPI Epoxy and loved it.

I bought a gallon of their 2K primer and had the exact same problem you are experiencing. As soon as I mixed the primer the spray pattern was good. Then before I could finish the panel is started to gum up in the gun. I spoke with Barry, he suggested trying a little reducer...it didn't help.

I ended up buying a different brand of high build and have had no problems.

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:19 PM   #13
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs46488 View Post
I bought a gallon of SPI Epoxy and loved it.

I bought a gallon of their 2K primer and had the exact same problem you are experiencing. As soon as I mixed the primer the spray pattern was good. Then before I could finish the panel is started to gum up in the gun. I spoke with Barry, he suggested trying a little reducer...it didn't help.

I ended up buying a different brand of high build and have had no problems.
Barry said to try the 870 reducer. I'll have to look it up in the book. What high build did you have better results with?
Old 03-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #14
crossfire84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Sounds like your vent hole is getting plugged up.

Brian
My wife would say I don't have that problem!
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:58 PM   #15
nsb29

I prefer slick sand have used it for 20 years 0 shrinkage can be reduced with uereathane reduser put it on as thick or as thin as you like no need to use a sealer before painting
Old 03-19-2019, 10:07 PM   #16
pwdcougar

I primed again tonight and didn’t have any problems. First batch was only 10 ounces an second was 20. The gun got cleaned between batches. Next gallon I’ll get some reducer too.

bs46488 I’d like to know what brand of high build you used.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:28 PM   #17
bs46488

I ran into a problem with SPI being shipped to Southern California so I searched for online suppliers that would/could ship to California.

I ended up switching to Eastwood Epoxy and 5 Star Xtreme Maxx Fill 2k high build. I have been very pleased with both products.

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:15 PM   #18
nsb29

Quote:
I ran into a problem with SPI being shipped to Southern California so I searched for online suppliers that would/could ship to California.

I ended up switching to Eastwood Epoxy and 5 Star Xtreme Maxx Fill 2k high build. I have been very pleased with both products.
I have 4 quarts of Eastwood‘s epoxy Activator they ship me by mistake anyone interested can have them for the cost of shipping
Old 03-21-2019, 07:58 AM   #19
Kim57

Quote:

I've never had a problem getting SPI shipped to my house.
Couldn't get one vendor to ship Slick Sand once so I changed to a different one.
Kim
Old 03-21-2019, 10:33 AM   #20
MARTINSR

Yep, that is one of the cool things about SPI. Get on the phone, make an order and WHAM that box is on your porch in no time.

Brian

Old 03-21-2019, 11:53 PM   #21
Foot Stomper

Quote:

The 5 Star xtreme max fill 2k is awesome stuff!

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote