The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2014, 04:56 AM   #76
ls1nova71

Re: Need advice: LS ENGINE SWAP

That is a bummer, but on the bright side, 127k isn't really that bad on miles for a 5.3. I know that's not problem, its the fact that you were lied to, so I feel your pain. What is different on the engine you have from the pic of it in the blue truck?

I saw your other thread on figuring out what year it is, and there are casting dates on a lot of aluminum parts. Under side of valve covers, and throttle body come to mind. There will be a little circle with a number in the center of it, that's the build year. Theyre all pretty close together on an engine. Also the steel baffle that bolts to the inside sump part of the oil pan will have a complete date stamped into it.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #77
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Did you get the motor local to you?

If so, I would load it in a truck and take your documentation with you and show it to him. Tell him that he needs to make it right, if he doesnt, then just tell anyone who will listen how much they suck and advise to never use them.

I had a similar issue, I bought a motor and trans ( 2002) from a local yard. When I got it in the truck and all hooked up, it wouldnt start, turn over but maybe 1/4 turn. I pulled it and tried to manually turn it, no go. I pulled the passenger side head ( I know I wasnt supposed to by the yards rules but) thats when I found enough rust and yuk in the middle two cylinders to make it impossible to turn over. I called him, sent him pictures and two persons signed statement ( they were both present when opened up) and he refused to make it right. I found another motor with 7K miles and bought it. I then took the POS motor and set it right in front of his business door, and chained it to his from door and the two posts that protected it. I also included a note, "thank you for your commitment to customer service!"

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #78
desertdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
That is a bummer, but on the bright side, 127k isn't really that bad on miles for a 5.3. I know that's not problem, its the fact that you were lied to, so I feel your pain. What is different on the engine you have from the pic of it in the blue truck?

I saw your other thread on figuring out what year it is, and there are casting dates on a lot of aluminum parts. Under side of valve covers, and throttle body come to mind. There will be a little circle with a number in the center of it, that's the build year. Theyre all pretty close together on an engine. Also the steel baffle that bolts to the inside sump part of the oil pan will have a complete date stamped into it.
I got a number in front of the passenger side head on the block that says F100 from what I gather not 100% sure is the date if this is correct its a june of 2000....One of the differences that jumped right out to me was he serpentine belt, the one on the tahoe has writing and white markings on it and the one thats sitting in my garage the serpentine belt is all black couple of others but you need to zoom in quite a bit but am convinced not the same engine.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #79
desertdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
Did you get the motor local to you?

If so, I would load it in a truck and take your documentation with you and show it to him. Tell him that he needs to make it right, if he doesnt, then just tell anyone who will listen how much they suck and advise to never use them.

I had a similar issue, I bought a motor and trans ( 2002) from a local yard. When I got it in the truck and all hooked up, it wouldnt start, turn over but maybe 1/4 turn. I pulled it and tried to manually turn it, no go. I pulled the passenger side head ( I know I wasnt supposed to by the yards rules but) thats when I found enough rust and yuk in the middle two cylinders to make it impossible to turn over. I called him, sent him pictures and two persons signed statement ( they were both present when opened up) and he refused to make it right. I found another motor with 7K miles and bought it. I then took the POS motor and set it right in front of his business door, and chained it to his from door and the two posts that protected it. I also included a note, "thank you for your commitment to customer service!"

I like your style Clyde, thats exactly what I feel like doing lol...No this guy is about two hours up north from me in Wilmington Ca..Im in San Diego...Going to talk to this guy today after I call a lawyer or two and see what I can make happen today, I really just want to get this worked out with this guy he Claims to be the Change over king I hope he makes it right..thats all I want so I can get on with the build of my truck...off to work now hopefully I will have some good news later.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #80
ls1nova71

Ok, I think I'm with you on this. Is the engine in post #48 your engine? That blue Tahoe is a 2002 or older, since it's got a cable throttle body, and in 2003 all trucks went to DBW. The pic in post #48 is a DBW engine and also has the bigger case alternator that the Tahoe does not. Right on the front (upper left of where the intake hose goes on) of the throttle body is a small circle with a number in it, what does it say? My guess is it's going to be a '03-04 flexfuel engine since it has the return style fuel rail.

Last edited by ls1nova71; 03-20-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #81
JJH Jimmy

Quote:
Ok, I think I'm with you on this. Is the engine in post #48 your engine? That blue Tahoe is a 2002 or older, since it's got a cable throttle body, and in 2003 all trucks went to DBW. The pic in post #48 is a DBW engine and also has the bigger case alternator that the Tahoe does not. Right on the front (upper left of where the intake hose goes on) of the throttle body is a small circle with a number in it, what does it say? My guess is it's going to be a '03-04 flexfuel engine since it has the return style fuel rail.
Not to second guess you ls1nova, but wouldn't a flex fuel engine have a stainless steel fuel rail?
2021 GMC 2500HD Duramax AT4

My "It's a Jimmy Thing" Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=583528
Budget Build 1985 K20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=801565
JJH Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #82
desertdogg

Quote:
Ok, I think I'm with you on this. Is nch the engine in post #48have your engine? That blue Tahoe is a 2002 or older, since it's got a cable throttle body, and in 2003 all trucks went to DBW. The pic in post #48 is a DBW engine and also has the bld this i****** case alternator that the Tahoe does not. Right on the front (upper left of where the intake hose goes on) of the throttle body is a small circle with a number in it, what does it say? My guess is it's going to be a '03-04 flexfuel engine since it has the return style fuel rail.
You got my curiosity going ls1. I might have to go home for lunch and check this out. I have not been able to contact this guy yet. I but I was wondering about the stamp that is on the front pad of the engine block in front of the passenger head, and it reads "F100" would this stamp indicate the date?... F for June and 1 the day 00 the year?... Confused but I will check that out
Old 03-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #83
Clyde65

DesertDogg,

I agree, you should give this guy a chance. It could have been a mistake of one of his workers, he should have the opportunity at minimum.

Rebuild of Clyde

support our troops!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #84
desertdogg

Name:  20140320_120500.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  46.7 KB
Quote:
that number reads 203 with an M above it
Old 03-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #85
desertdogg

I did speak to him he says he gets shipments in every wednesday and thursday and he said he would send me a new engine with a video of the engine and odometer reading of the vehicle it comes out of so lets hope he is true to his word.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #86
desertdogg

Name:  20140320_120640.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  36.3 KB

here is the stamp I was talking about that read F100. Does this mean anything ?.........now Im back off to work my lunch is over...thanks for everyones help on this
Old 03-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #87
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

We had a situation happen with a trans a while back. The guy had to be forced (and I'm one hell of a persuader) to replace the trans (said it was 2wd, but wasnt).

When we picked the new one up, I "speed offloaded" the old trans. Its a complex technique involving putting the engine on a moving blanket, and going 15-20 in reverse. Then you hit the "bed dump" which is also the brake pedal. Works like a charm, and no heavy equipment needed.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #88
desertdogg

Lol... BR3 can I borrow you for a few hours ? Hopefully I won't need that kind of persuasion but couldn't hurt
Old 03-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #89
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdogg View Post
Lol... BR3 can I borrow you for a few hours ? Hopefully I won't need that kind of persuasion but couldn't hurt
I might be stopping out by LA to see Steel Panther....but you'd have to wait a month or so

Old 03-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #90
Clyde65

Go get him tiger!!!

Rebuild of Clyde

support our troops!
Old 03-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #91
desertdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
I might be stopping out by LA to see Steel Panther....but you'd have to wait a month or so
Thanks BR3, hopefully this guy comes thru for me next week lol. What pissis me off the most is Im at a stand still and at this guys mercy, but I have to play along and not get on his bad side because things can get alot worse as far as time goes. If things get ugly then I will see this guy in small claims court in six months or longer...really dont want to go down that road...but I will if I have to. Just wish I knew what I have sitting in my garage because this guy is still saying it came from that tahoe. he says the previous owner replaced the original engine with a new unit and called the dmv to notify them of the mileage change but they will not release that information to me since I dont own the tahoe.
The vin history report says in may of 2013 it had 57k then in august of 2013 it jumps to127k...very strange, so how can you put over 60k mile rin 3 months ? Just too many weird things going on that puts doubts on my mind.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:13 PM   #92
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy View Post
Not to second guess you ls1nova, but wouldn't a flex fuel engine have a stainless steel fuel rail?
Good point, the older flex fuel engines will have plastic fuel rails, but the lines that hook them together and the feed and return lines are usually stainless. I through the flex fuel thing out because that's the only way you could get a returnless rail in '04. Now I'm thinking at least the intake is an '03.

Quote:
this guy is still saying it came from that tahoe.
That number cast in the block may be the date code, and if so, the guy saying the long block had been replaced seems legit, because that's the only way you could have a 2000 engine with a '03 throttle body. That said, there's no way that's the engine in the pics of the blue Tahoe, since it's clearly a drive by cable throttle body.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:44 AM   #93
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Thanks BR3, hopefully this guy comes thru for me next week lol. What pissis me off the most is Im at a stand still and at this guys mercy, but I have to play along and not get on his bad side because things can get alot worse as far as time goes. If things get ugly then I will see this guy in small claims court in six months or longer...really dont want to go down that road...but I will if I have to. Just wish I knew what I have sitting in my garage because this guy is still saying it came from that tahoe. he says the previous owner replaced the original engine with a new unit and called the dmv to notify them of the mileage change but they will not release that information to me since I dont own the tahoe.
The vin history report says in may of 2013 it had 57k then in august of 2013 it jumps to127k...very strange, so how can you put over 60k mile rin 3 months ? Just too many weird things going on that puts doubts on my mind.
Easy, the odometer was replaced. Owners record what they see, not what they know.....I had a few that went the other way

Old 03-21-2014, 01:06 AM   #94
desertdogg

Quote:
Good point, the older flex fuel engines will have plastic fuel rails, but the lines that hook them together and the feed and return lines are usually stainless. I through the flex fuel thing out because that's the only way you could get a returnless rail in '04. Now I'm thinking at least the intake is an '03.

That number cast in the block may be the date code, and if so, the guy saying the long block had been replaced seems legit, because that's the only way you could have a 2000 engine with a '03 throttle body. That said, there's no way that's the engine in the pics of the blue Tahoe, since it's clearly a drive by cable throttle body.
I Might open up one of the valve covers and take a look inside maybe it will have the date stamped on it like you said. One of the other things I noticed the barcode sticker on the ecu was scratched off..wonder if they switched computers on me too ?

I agree I am really convinced not the same engine. I asked him about that and he said that they change accesories on the motors all the time to cater to what the customer wants, but I did quite a bit of zooming in on those pics that he took and there were marks on the pulleys and dipsticks that just are not there on the engine in my garage...big can of worms I seem to open those every so often lol
Old 03-21-2014, 01:26 AM   #95
desertdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Easy, the odometer was replaced. Owners record what they see, not what they know.....I had a few that went the other way
I suppose thats possible, but the amount of money I spent on that drive train, I really would like some facts. Besides I really believe that Tahoe and this engine I have, are not related in any way but, it would be nice to know where this drive train came from.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #96
Clyde65

I almost bought a truck in 2002 or 2003, until I found out it had a salvage title. Dont get me wrong, if I knew the truck or trusted the seller, the salvage title would have been somewhat ok. It had a similar issue, the guy said he had JUST traded for it and didnt want the truck, it was a very nice looking truck from all angles, it had the LQ4 in it with a 4l60e ( the motor was swapped obviously. I asked to hear the motor run and he made some excuse and said to come back tomorrow for that, so at first I didnt think much about it, then came back after lunch when his employee was there and he had the VC off, man what a nasty mess! I then did a VIN check which told me about the salvage title which this dude wasnt going to tell me...so I walked but someone bought that truck and suffered for it I think...

Rebuild of Clyde

support our troops!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #97
desertdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
I almost bought a truck in 2002 or 2003, until I found out it had a salvage title. Dont get me wrong, if I knew the truck or trusted the seller, the salvage title would have been somewhat ok. It had a similar issue, the guy said he had JUST traded for it and didnt want the truck, it was a very nice looking truck from all angles, it had the LQ4 in it with a 4l60e ( the motor was swapped obviously. I asked to hear the motor run and he made some excuse and said to come back tomorrow for that, so at first I didnt think much about it, then came back after lunch when his employee was there and he had the VC off, man what a nasty mess! I then did a VIN check which told me about the salvage title which this dude wasnt going to tell me...so I walked but someone bought that truck and suffered for it I think...
Thanks Clyde, Its pretty sad when you cant trust anyone these days. You really have to do your own investigating. Thats my problem I tend to believe people too much and usually end up getting screwed for it...sucks but thats reality
Old 03-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #98
desertdogg

I pulled one of the valve covers today just to see what I would find.

Name:  20140323_124201.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  70.1 KB

It looks pretty clean inside I guess, what do you guys think ?

Name:  20140323_124307.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  64.7 KB

Name:  20140323_124310.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  61.9 KB

Here is under the valve cover and the numbers I was looking for

Name:  20140323_124229.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  59.9 KB
Old 03-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #99
ls1nova71

Looks well taken care of. But I'm thinking its been replaced at some point, a 99 or 2000 wouldn't have the DBW that you have. Under the rail that holds the rockers on the left side of the headbetween the two cylinders is another date code like the one on your block, see what it says

Old 03-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #100
dman1982

i pulled the valve covers off my 2004 5.3 and it was way nastier than the engine you got, i cleaned it up some under there (my motor also has 130k)...but still you paid for a certain item and didn't get it...id be out waiver guns in there air!!! I'm not done with my swap but if it turns out to be a bad motor or tranny I'm going to be super crazy mad...i drove 2.5 hours to get mine as well
2001-Present

84 K10
2000 trans am ws6
2011 nissan altima
2009 Troy Built with a 42 Inch Deck

My LS Swap http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6559371
dman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote