The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2021, 05:20 PM   #4726
mick53

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbeast View Post
Does ordering coil over shocks for the 77 nova front clip in my '56 count?
I would say most definitely yes. Sometimes I spend several hours a day chasing parts or finding someone to make them. I'm sure I have 20 hours or more of phone time in getting my brakes to mount.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:05 AM   #4727
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by washington blue View Post
Took my dash out.
I assume the lower dash is a repro replacement. Is it wider than the original or is that just a photo illusion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
I would say most definitely yes. Sometimes I spend several hours a day chasing parts or finding someone to make them. I'm sure I have 20 hours or more of phone time in getting my brakes to mount.
After any day of working on my projects, I can easily spend several hours walking around it, staring, thinking, and planning.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 01-21-2021 at 10:02 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:50 PM   #4728
carbuff382

Started sanding on bed wood to refinish.
Attached Images

carbuff382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:59 PM   #4729
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff382 View Post
My back and fingers hurt just looking at that...

...but it's gonna look nice!
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:03 PM   #4730
mick53

I shipped off the last of the cabinets I've been building for the last few weeks and started back on prepping the trans for paint. I made the little spacers for the bolt heads. I'm just evening up the casting and removing the little klingons from the casting. I know most would consider this a futile activity but I don't much care. I'm getting experience using my tools and learning what abrasives work best in what situations. I also can't see how you can discount all the aerodynamic turbulence created by the klingons and uneven castings. Just cleaning it up a bit and there seems to be kind of a layer of impurities or kind of a slag on the smoother castings. I don't know if the light sanding will help to promote adhesion but it can't hurt, right? I'm doing primer, base, clear. Still a little torn between epoxy or self etching primer but leaning heavily toward epoxy. I have both on hand. Thank you for your time.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2021, 07:30 PM   #4731
mick53

I finished prepping my trans for painting. A good cleaning and masking and she's ready to paint. It was pretty rough when I started. It's almost like Tremec didn't care that I was going to paint it.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2021, 05:27 AM   #4732
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
I finished prepping my trans for painting. A good cleaning and masking and she's ready to paint. It was pretty rough when I started. It's almost like Tremec didn't care that I was going to paint it.
Cool stuff as usual! The only problem is that I'm getting impatient to see the finished product. Work faster please!
Old 01-29-2021, 12:00 AM   #4733
mick53

I finished cleaning and masking off my transmission. It took longer than expected. I have never sprayed automotive paint before. I have an Aztec air brush that I have never used and I have a 5 stage Fuji turbine spay setup that I have also never used. What could possibly go wrong? I have 2 part epoxy primer and base clear in Firethorn red pearl. Going to have to do some shop cleaning and figure out how to spray it inside since it's 18 degrees outside. Hope I don't explode.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2021, 11:10 AM   #4734
DransportGarage

Quote:
I finished cleaning and masking off my transmission. It took longer than expected. I have never sprayed automotive paint before. I have an Aztec air brush that I have never used and I have a 5 stage Fuji turbine spay setup that I have also never used. What could possibly go wrong? I have 2 part epoxy primer and base clear in Firethorn red pearl. Going to have to do some shop cleaning and figure out how to spray it inside since it's 18 degrees outside. Hope I don't explode.
I used my normal paint gun (Sata 3000B), epoxy primer and NAPA base/SPI clear.
Attached Images

Last edited by DransportGarage; 01-30-2021 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:20 PM   #4735
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Are you hand sanding that or using a DA?
Old 01-31-2021, 03:02 PM   #4736
_Ogre

Quote:
refinish? what did you use on the bed wood the first time?

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:50 AM   #4737
mick53

I unboxed my Fuji Q5 5 stage turbine sprayer (made in Canada) today. I also dug out the airbrush. I have never used either of them. I think I will try the Fuji on the transmission. It says it will go down to a 1/2" circle pattern. I bought this to paint the truck with so now is probably a good time to practice with it. I have never sprayed automotive paint but have done other types of spraying. I bought it on promotion and got an extra $350 gun free. Maybe I should use one just for primer and the like and the other for base and clear? I bought 3 needle and cap sets for primer, base and clear. I have no idea how much paint to mix up if anyone could help. All I'm painting is the transmission and a water pump. This paint is expensive and I don't want to waste it. How long do I have to use it before it goes bad or off or whatever it does? Thank you for your time.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2021, 05:41 PM   #4738
DransportGarage

Quote:
I unboxed my Fuji Q5 5 stage turbine sprayer (made in Canada) today. I also dug out the airbrush. I have never used either of them. I think I will try the Fuji on the transmission. It says it will go down to a 1/2" circle pattern. I bought this to paint the truck with so now is probably a good time to practice with it. I have never sprayed automotive paint but have done other types of spraying. I bought it on promotion and got an extra $350 gun free. Maybe I should use one just for primer and the like and the other for base and clear? I bought 3 needle and cap sets for primer, base and clear. I have no idea how much paint to mix up if anyone could help. All I'm painting is the transmission and a water pump. This paint is expensive and I don't want to waste it. How long do I have to use it before it goes bad or off or whatever it does? Thank you for your time.
I'm going to recommend a great website for super paint products (especially their clears) and tech advice:

http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.ph...-5000-5100.29/

The guys that typically answer the questions are a bunch of pros, and the owner of the company (Barry) is accessible and helpful as well. Very personable folks.

Last edited by DransportGarage; 02-01-2021 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:24 AM   #4739
carbuff382

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
refinish? what did you use on the bed wood the first time?
Hand sanding it, first time spar marine varnish was used. This time I'm using exterior Danish oil. Won't be glossy any more but that's ok, I prefer the satin finish on wood and I can re-apply with minimal effort. Almost done now.
Attached Images

carbuff382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:22 PM   #4740
mick53

When I use drying oils I prefer Tung oil but it will darken it a little bit. You will need to get the pores open in the wood.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:40 PM   #4741
mick53

I made a little spray area in the shop because I live in Indiana and it's cold. This must be where my parents car broke down. Tomorrow I should get it painted. I called tech at the paint place and got instructions. I also watched you tube so now I know everything. What could possibly go wrong?
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2021, 01:06 AM   #4742
R&B51

Mick53, you’re my polishing, detailing hero! Looking forward to seeing your tranny all painted! You inspired me to get the E arms and rest of the suspension as well as the torque tube all polished. Coded it with Eastwood sharkhide clearcoat. Been working on putting a 51 AD body on a complete C6 Corvette chassis and drive train. Sent torque tube off to Gamel Street rods and they returned it ~one foot longer. 117” WB. Got it mounted and the Dobbertin frame adapters in place. Today mocked up with some two by sixes so I could make measurements for custom frame rails. Went down to tube bending shop with diagrams and will have steel delivered there. Excited to get those rails in place and build an X frame then start putting the truck on top!
You guys sure keep me motivated with your projects and advice.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rickysnickers; 02-04-2021 at 11:16 AM. Reason: flipped photos
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:08 AM   #4743
R&B51

Once I figure out how to get those pictures rotated off my phone maybe I’ll do a build thread someday. Sorry about the duplicate as well. I’m pretty green on tech stuff
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:30 AM   #4744
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&B51 View Post
Once I figure out how to get those pictures rotated off my phone maybe I’ll do a build thread someday. Sorry about the duplicate as well. I’m pretty green on tech stuff
Your build is definitely next level.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:17 AM   #4745
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&B51 View Post
Just post them. I can fix them for you.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:25 AM   #4746
dsraven

Hey Ricky, you should post a "how to turn your pics" thread so guys can do that themselves. We shouldn't expect to suck up your time to turn our pics when we could do that for ourselves. Thanks for all your hard work though. Appreciate it.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:30 PM   #4747
_Ogre

Quote:
Hand sanding it, first time spar marine varnish was used. This time I'm using exterior Danish oil. Won't be glossy any more but that's ok, I prefer the satin finish on wood and I can re-apply with minimal effort. Almost done now.
oil will look nice, sort of like the oem finish that held up for 20 years without any thought
most people don't understand the why of why your redoing a newish rebuild
care to explain the why?

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:37 AM   #4748
mick53

I painted my transmission today. I had a gallon of black epoxy primer for my chassis and the paint guy said the color would not matter. 2 coats primer, 2 coats base and 2 coats clear. Like most of my stuff it's not perfect but not bad. I learned a lot. My new Fuji spray system worked well. Almost no overspray.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #4749
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
Hey Ricky, you should post a "how to turn your pics" thread so guys can do that themselves. We shouldn't expect to suck up your time to turn our pics when we could do that for ourselves. Thanks for all your hard work though. Appreciate it.
I really don't do that much, honestly. Besides, it makes me take the time to read all the new posts. YOU are the one who should be thanked!!! You consistently take the time to write long explanations and provide links to things being discussed. As a little laughter, I'm wondering if that because of the long winters up there
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 02:15 PM   #4750
DransportGarage

I haven't checked in since my driver's door wiped the paint off the edge of the fender. That caused me to quit working on the beast for about 3 months.

Here's what happened: I installed the interior door panel, but there was a bow just below the door window. I took a couple of channel locks, bent that part of the door in slightly, reinstalled the interior panel and...PERFECT. Unfortunately, it upset the door overall. I closed the door and wiped out the paint on the rear edge of the fender.

Anyway, I've been back at it for a few weeks. The electricals pretty much check out now, steering is in and the interior is complete except for the tach installation. I'm trying to bust into the schedule of my buddy that has the machine shop so I can make a spiffy bracket.

Here are some interior pics. (I do plan to change out the horn button to a '67 vette item that has only the crossed flags.)
Attached Images