The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
Chevy454

'67-'72: radio or speaker failure?

The am radio in my '72 Sub, as well as the am radio in my brother's '72 Cheyenne, both stopped working...I've never known either to emit sound, but the lights are on in each of them. Is there a common part that fails inside these radios, or are the speakers prone to taking a dump? Y'all know what it's like to pull a radio out of the dash on these dinosaurs, so I'd like to fix this problem *once*, and have the right part to go back in without any down time. But having no tunes is *killing* me...
Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
72 cheyenne pdx

Re: '67-'72: radio or speaker failure?

Is the speaker the original speaker? It could be as simple as needing a replacement speaker(s). Speakers rot over the years. I don't know these stereos very well, so I am unsure if there is a common thing going out on them or not. But you will need to take the stereo out to bench test it and repair it, so I would go ahead and yank it out, test it with another speaker to see if that is it, and if that isn't it, depending on your skills of toubleshooting/soldering/desoldering components, repair it or send it in to a reputable repair shop.

Good Luck
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote