The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2020, 05:44 PM   #1
Joetown Parrothead

Interior: Carpet or Vinyl

Redoing the old 1980 C10, if you had the option. The whole bottom of the cab, and doors are going to be replaced. Door panels being redone by Upholstery guy that is redoing the seat. Would you put in Carpet or Vinyl flooring?

Thanks,
BR
Attached Images

Joetown Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:09 PM   #2
kipps

Re: Interior: Carpet or Vinyl

How are you going to be using the truck?

What percentage of the time are you climbing in with muddy boots?

Is the seat going to be cloth, leather, or vinyl?

Are you targeting a specific trim level in all your interior choices, such as Custom-deluxe or Silverado?
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:38 PM   #3
69Tom

Well, I'm guessing you have a light tan interior, which means a light tan carpet, unless you go black. So as stated above, if you're going to be getting in and out with muddy boots, etc., you might want to consider the mat. Plus you definitely get some weather in MO as well.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:47 PM   #4
dagnabbitt

I can tell you that carpet instead of rubber really does offer more help with soundproofing, if that is a concern.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:06 PM   #5
Joetown Parrothead

It will be our cruising p/u. Will not be used in the mud or as a junk hauling truck. That was in its previous life.. lol. I have 2 other trucks for that.. Hopefully we will be by a beach town in Texas in a few years. Cruising in the warm air, it sucks up here in NW Missouri in the winter..

Cloth & Vinyl Seats, will have a darker tan vinyl trim with cloth inlays. Our guy in town does awesome work.. Will post photos when it’s done.. We are painting it a Kandy Root Beer Metallic. It will be color of car in second photo..

We will have no trim, just a clean look.. Letters on Tailgate will be a Glossy White..
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2020, 08:55 PM   #6
kipps

From your description, A brown carpet of some sort sounds ideal. Personally, I'd suggest a dark brown, to avoid showing the inevitable dirt stains.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
Old 12-29-2020, 09:02 PM   #7
Joetown Parrothead

LMC has the dark brown, black or tan in stock.. They are only 45 mins south, dropped a ton in there 2 weeks ago. Time to go back. Now need to find Chrome Bow tie sill plates.. Everywhere is out of them.. LMC has some plain chrome ones I might have to go with..
Old 12-29-2020, 09:18 PM   #8
Joetown Parrothead

Parts I have just bought......

New Chrome Grill
New Chrome Window Handles
New Chrome Gear Lever
New Chrome Dimmer Knob
New Dash Cover
New “Scottsdale Emblems”
Used “Trailering Special” Emblems : Need Painted Chrome
New Seat Belt Assy
New Sun-visor & Chrome Brackets
New Chrome Gas Peddle & Brake
New Chrome Rearview Mirror
New Chrome Door Lock Knobs
New Steering Wheel
Re-Done Seat & Door Panels

Parts I Will Get:
Chrome Threshold Plate
Chrome Sill Plate
Bumper Mount’s Inner & Outer
Carpet

Still NEED
Chrome Headlight Bucket Assy..
Old 01-10-2021, 02:40 PM   #9
Axle

I have a preference for a vinyl floor. Lots easier to keep clean, and since I drive rain or snow, not having to worry about carpets getting wet is a bonus.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:17 PM   #10
kipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
I have a preference for a vinyl floor. Lots easier to keep clean, and since I drive rain or snow, not having to worry about carpets getting wet is a bonus.
that's my opinion too, considering how my trucks get used. I'm still assembling the truck in my signature, but it's definitely not going to have carpet. I'll start out with a bare metal floor, and will later upgrade to a MIP mat from LMCtruck. It looks like the longest lasting waterproof option for the money. Cow manure and mud are simply two realities of Virginia winters, and a farm-based truck needs to accommodate.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:14 AM   #11
VWNate1

Post Floors ~ Carpet or Vinyl

It depends on where you live .

Rubber mats are super easy to clean and if you keep them clean they last forever, don't wear like carpets do .

The flip side is : rubber mats also trap any moisture underneath no matter how slight and force the cab floor to rust .

Me, I love rubber mats but always go with carpet as soon as the mats cracks or tears .

Most don't keep their trucks long enough to discover the rubber mat ruins the cab floor, I do, it's a rare thing for me to have a truck younger than 25 ~ 30 years old .

Even here in the California Desert your floor will rust away in a few short years .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:53 PM   #12
THI

My first truck was a 1969 C10 with rubber floors, thought they were great until I found that moisture got under the rubber (trapped) and rusted out the floor under the hole. Bought a 1990 K1500 for my son while he was in High School, when I bought it the drivers floor needed to be replaced - a hole developed in the rubber flooring, and the hole in the floor was large enough to put a can through it. Fixed the floor and replaced it with carpet.

At least carpet can dry out once it get wet.
THI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:18 PM   #13
VWNate1

Post Re: Interior: Carpet or Vinyl

I live in the Desert and the only time my old truck got wet was when I washed it ~ as a young man I endeavored to keep it clean ad was seriously dismayed to discover serious floor rust when I took it apart to do a clutch job .

Lesson learned .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:45 AM   #14
Axle

Living in the land of snow & ice, carpets get wet also despite efforts with floor mats to contain the moisture, so rubber or carpet, same end result.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:53 AM   #15
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THI View Post
My first truck was a 1969 C10 with rubber floors, thought they were great until I found that moisture got under the rubber (trapped) and rusted out the floor under the hole. Bought a 1990 K1500 for my son while he was in High School, when I bought it the drivers floor needed to be replaced - a hole developed in the rubber flooring, and the hole in the floor was large enough to put a can through it. Fixed the floor and replaced it with carpet.

At least carpet can dry out once it get wet.
I think the biggest problem with either decision is that the jute padding is what holds the moisture against the metal. It takes forever for that padding to dry out. Maybe if you put down sound matting that actually adheres to the floor, it may act as a moisture barrier as well.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:22 PM   #16
kipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
I think the biggest problem with either decision is that the jute padding is what holds the moisture against the metal. It takes forever for that padding to dry out. Maybe if you put down sound matting that actually adheres to the floor, it may act as a moisture barrier as well.
I've wondered about that.

House spray-foam insulation can be either open-cell or closed-cell. Open-cell is cheaper, but it has to stay dry. Closed-cell insulation won't absorb water. It'd be nice if there was a sound deadening insulation with similar properties, that simply wouldn't absorb water even if submerged. Lizard skin sounds like it might meet this requirement.

If bedliner will definitely stay attached, and won't let any water get underneath of it, I think that would also be a good option for floor protection. I don't like the look or feel of bedliner. It just seems to "chintzy." I'd much rather cover it with a real rubber mat.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:37 PM   #17
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i would get a carpet and if you want a recommendation ACC has about the best ive used after doing about 10 projects

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote