The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2004, 09:30 PM   #1
TexSparks

Interiors

I'm in the process of reworking the interior (door panels, new seat covers, etc.) and would like to see what some of you have done on your interiors. My intention is to have three bench seats to haul 9 family members on outings and I've completed two of these seats with the rear remaining. The third seat that came with my burb was out of a later model that is removable, locks in the floor, so I will need to fabricate some type of frame work to mount to my wood floor. Any of you done this?

Also the carpet that came with my burb is new but does not match my interior. Rather than buying new form fitted carpet, 1) Can I dye brown carpet to black? 2)Could I buy household(flat) carpet and cut to fit the uneven floors?

Appreciate any ideas or photos!
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2004, 06:32 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

I used Rit black dye to dye the carpet on the door and kick panels on my 65 SS. The carpet looks good and it has held up well for (7) years. It should work to dye your carpet but it may not last as long since the carpet is used harder.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 01:02 PM   #3
cojnit
Nothing clever

I would also start looking for one of the original 2nd row seats that was out of a three row suburban, it will allow you to get to the third row easier.

I also looked into the same harware set-up problem you are having and came up with a couple of thoughts.

1. try to cut out the original hardware from the O.E. vehicle, and then mount that to the floor, or cut those stands off of the seat and weld ne hardware to the bottom out of an older style van.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:32 PM   #4
Sublvr72
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojnit
I would also start looking for one of the original 2nd row seats that was out of a three row suburban, it will allow you to get to the third row easier.

I also looked into the same harware set-up problem you are having and came up with a couple of thoughts.

1. try to cut out the original hardware from the O.E. vehicle, and then mount that to the floor, or cut those stands off of the seat and weld ne hardware to the bottom out of an older style van.

Thats your best solution, I am looking for a 95-99 leather suburban 3rd row bench for mine and it too mounts with clamps into the floor. my current tahoe seats allow for 3rd row access so that part is not big deal

Sublvr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 04:07 PM   #5
cojnit
Nothing clever

Did I mention that I hate Sublvr72 (not really it is just jealousy!)