The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
bzblaine

Question Where did these buckets come from?

I have been looking for some new seats for my 1970 c10 step side for some time now. I'm a big guy (6'4 300lbs) so I have decided on an 88-94 GM seat to give me the most room. I came across these seats. The guy said these are not the stock seats. To me they look like buddy buckets, but I know they are not. Can someone help me identify them please?
Attached Images

bzblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #2
flashed

Re: Where did these buckets come from?

Favors mid 90's Chevy truck buckets .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #3
bzblaine

Couple of questions.. Will these work for the application I need them for? Fairly easy installation? Is there supposed to be like a jumper seat in the middle? Or a console?
Old 01-07-2016, 09:15 PM   #4
jojo
printing is my trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzblaine View Post
Couple of questions.. Will these work for the application I need them for? Fairly easy installation? Is there supposed to be like a jumper seat in the middle? Or a console?
I put some red ones just like that in my 1970. Easy enough to install. I don't remember any console or seat in the middle of the truck I pulled them from.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #5
bzblaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I put some red ones just like that in my 1970. Easy enough to install. I don't remember any console or seat in the middle of the truck I pulled them from.
What did you end up going with for the middle?
Old 01-07-2016, 10:04 PM   #6
hugger6933

Those seats are 88-89 only the seats went to a velour material in model year 1990. Of course the frames were pretty close from 88-94. 95 changed the seats until the end of the run in 98, but the bolt holes remained the same throughout the model style 88-98. I am full of useless info from this model truck I built hundreds of them. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:12 PM   #7
bzblaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Those seats are 88-89 only the seats went to a velour material in model year 1990. Of course the frames were pretty close from 88-94. 95 changed the seats until the end of the run in 98, but the bolt holes remained the same throughout the model style 88-98. I am full of useless info from this model truck I built hundreds of them. Jim

That's great info! Thanks! Call me crazy but these appear to have Valore on them. Did these seats originally come with a console?
Old 01-07-2016, 10:24 PM   #8
jojo
printing is my trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzblaine View Post
What did you end up going with for the middle?
Nothing yet. I plan to get something that will fit in there and make a little seat that folds over to a console with cup holders as well. If I can't find something, I will try to build something. Because I like the idea of a bench and a console. Similar to what some of the modern day trucks do.
Posted via Mobile Device
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:05 AM   #9
Grumpy old man

Before you get to attached to those seats you need to know that they are not built like most other seats in that the material "velour" is bonded to the seat foam base which makes them difficult and expensive to have them reupholstered . if your happy with the blue material you can clean them using Windex and a shop vac also any grease stains will come off by using lacquer thinner sparingly on a lint free towel .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:35 AM   #10
hugger6933

Any of those seats would have had a console in the middle. The outside [around the perimeter] are similar to the later I was referring to the inserts of a tweed like substance, that signifies 88-89. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #11
bzblaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Before you get to attached to those seats you need to know that they are not built like most other seats in that the material "velour" is bonded to the seat foam base which makes them difficult and expensive to have them reupholstered . if your happy with the blue material you can clean them using Windex and a shop vac also any grease stains will come off by using lacquer thinner sparingly on a lint free towel .
I really do love these seats. I was really hoping to get these and get them reupholstered. do you know where I might be able to get exact fit seat covers? or maybe just new foam? They need to be black on black to match the trucks interior. whenever I search for seat covers or foam, I just get the bench seats.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:18 PM   #12
Grumpy old man

That was Chevy's attempt to bring the customer back to the dealerships for replacement seat covers 1992 - 1994 , Until the cost of warranty repairs drove them back to sewn seat covers that didn't require a complete cover .I've done warranty upholstery/glass work for every major dealer Chevy/Dodge/Ford/Mercedes/Jaguar/Buick/Gmc/Pontiac/etc for more than 35 years

From what I remember they came as a 60/40 split and it looks like someone just mounted 2 drivers seats .

any good auto upholstery shop can custom build you a set of covers using those as a base but you have to understand they are foam injected covers meaning the seat foam is actually bonded to the material not sewn together and to reupholster them you have to cut off the material and formed foam to leave a flat surface and rebuild from there .. My DD 1995 GMC 3/4 Z-71 has the bonded type seats also

There is no reproduction original seat upholstery available as far as I know .Now I'm not talking about slip on covers I'm sure there are thousands of slip over covers available I'm talking about original factory type replacements.

Average cost to custom rebuild a set of these seats in vinyl material $900.00 to $1,400.00 depending on what style seats you want in the end .

When searching for replacements on any car use the word Upholstery not seat covers .or all you will find are slip on covers.

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 01-08-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:34 PM   #13
bzblaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
That was Chevy's attempt to bring the customer back to the dealerships for replacement seat covers 1992 - 1994 , Until the cost of warranty repairs drove them back to sewn seat covers that didn't require a complete cover .I've done warranty upholstery/glass work for every major dealer Chevy/Dodge/Ford/Mercedes/Jaguar/Buick/Gmc/Pontiac/etc for more than 35 years

From what I remember they came as a 60/40 split and it looks like someone just mounted 2 drivers seats .

any good auto upholstery shop can custom build you a set of covers using those as a base but you have to understand they are foam injected covers meaning the seat foam is actually bonded to the material not sewn together and to reupholster them you have to cut off the material and formed foam to leave a flat surface and rebuild from there .. My DD 1995 GMC 3/4 Z-71 has the bonded type seats also

There is no reproduction original seat upholstery available as far as I know .Now I'm not talking about slip on covers I'm sure there are thousands of slip over covers available I'm talking about original factory type replacements.

Average cost to custom rebuild a set of these seats in vinyl material $900.00 to $1,400.00 depending on what style seats you want in the end .

When searching for replacements on any car use the word Upholstery not seat covers .or all you will find are slip on covers.

Awesome information. I am a little confused. Are you saying these are 1992-1994 seats? I only ask because hugger thinks they are from 88-89. Sorry if I'm just reading that wrong. And so basically this was a 60/40 and someone chucked the 60, found another (40) of the same color and paired them? I was thinking a sufficient route would be getting some black seat covers from cover king. I'm new to interior so I don't really know how good of an option that would be.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:26 PM   #14
Grumpy old man

Well ... the 60/40 don't have armrests , buckets would .

http://protruckseats.com/index.php/s...hions-416.html

As far as a set of slip on covers You get what you pay for it all depends on what your budget is to work with and if you want custom seats or just some covers ? What year truck did you pull them out of ?

Your in San Antonio there looks to be about a dozen auto upholstery shops in town drive by and see what they offer ?

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 01-08-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #15
bzblaine

I will be checking those shops. I've actually been researching the auto upholstery for the past couple of hours. The guy I'm getting them from said they are coming out of a 92. But he said they are not the stock seats for that truck. So I don't know what to think. I don't care so much about having custom seats. I just want them to look nice and match my truck.