The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2021, 02:49 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Flat towing

Yesterday my friend was over picking up some electrical supplies I got, and mentioned flat towing. Since he found his tow bar for his Land Cruiser which is at the shop. Getting back on the road, and upgraded as I type.

My Willys is on a 1988 F150 chassis, has a 109" wheelbase, will sit roughly 6'6" tall, and weigh 4000 loaded. I know I will or should disconnect the drive shafts, and tie them up to the frame.

But how would flat towing the above with a 73-91 Suburban be? Is that asking for trouble or is it safe enough. If one drives like they are in fact towing.

Sounded like a neat idea as in no trailer to me.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:58 PM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: Flat towing

I'd say it depends on how far and how fast.

And - you'll want to have some kind of lights on the towed vehicle, because people won't be paying attention and will run into you even if you do have working lights.

I've been flat towing for almost 50 years, but with the drivers today: I wouldn't recommend it unless I timed it so there wouldn't be much traffic.

I wouldn't be worried about your abilities, but everybody else's. I have had a known driver follow me (son, wife) and protect my back, again, if you are not going far.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-20-2021 at 09:28 AM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:00 PM   #3
1976gmc20

My understanding is that if you put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park then it should be just fine as is.

Back in the old days before 4x4 pickups became common it was fairly common for people to tow an "old" flat fender jeep behind a 2wd pickup and camper.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:02 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

It would be flat towed 3-4 hours away.
Pasadena to Bishop california would be the max.

I usually would leave after traffic to head there, and usually not much coming back. I come back late too 1/2 the time.]

The rear bumper is box tube. So magnetic lights would be a snap.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:05 PM   #5
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
It would be flat towed 3-4 hours away.
Pasadena to Bishop california would be the max.

I usually would leave after traffic to head there, and usually not much coming back. I come back late too 1/2 the time.]

The rear bumper is box tube. So magnetic lights would be a snap.
I thought you just wanted to move it.

Any chance you could find a place to store it up there for the season?
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:28 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
I thought you just wanted to move it.

Any chance you could find a place to store it up there for the season?
I am sorry. The flat towing is for when it is running, and I want to go somewhere for fun. In a more comfortable vehicle. Or to be able to take more stuff if I wanted.

I can trailer it back to storage easily, and eventually will again.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:29 PM   #7
Sheepdip

Quote:
I am sorry. The flat towing is for when it is running, and I want to go somewhere for fun. In a more comfortable vehicle. Or to be able to take more stuff if I wanted.

I can trailer it back to storage easily, and eventually will again.
I flat tow Ol Nugget to the cabin in the mountains all the time 200mi round trip and tons of fun in-between Grandkidz love it.
Attached Images

Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:36 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I'd drive the Willys. It has a newer drivetrain

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:54 PM   #9
Ziegelsteinfaust

It has a 88 302 and aod, but will be carburetor.

I was thinking the Suburban I plan to get will have AC. Which I may not put on the Willys.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:00 PM   #10
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
I flat tow Ol Nugget to the cabin in the mountains all the time 200mi round trip and tons of fun in-between Grandkidz love it.
What do you tow nugget with?

How do you deal with the steering?
Old 01-19-2021, 10:28 PM   #11
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

some of the new transfer cases don't like to be towed. You need to look up Fords recommended tow procedures for that unit.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by Ol Blue K20; 01-19-2021 at 10:29 PM. Reason: smart phone is stupid!
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:18 PM   #12
Sheepdip

Quote:
What do you tow nugget with?

I tow it with a 2008 Duramax 2500, steering if set up and aligned properly with correct caster is not an issue in a forward moving motion as long as your steering wheel is not locked, it will follow the tow vehicle.....backing up is another issue, a very short distance in a straight line is doable, backing and trying to turn it like a trailer the wheels will cross in the wrong direction and won't re-align by going forward again so you have to get out and manually turn the steering to get everything lined up again.

I tow Nugget at 55 mph forward all day long with zero issues.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:09 AM   #13
FirstOwner69

I tow a 2001 Jeep Wrangler with a 5-speed manual behind my Chev Duramax dually which usually has a large Lance camper in the bed. The picture below was taken in 2012 (the 2006 truck has since been replaced with a 2015). I can't even tell the Jeep is back there at reasonable Interstate speeds (generally under 68-70 MPH). The Wrangler can be towed all day at any speed. Just put the trans in 5th gear, the transfer case in neutral and unlock the steering column by placing the key in the unlock position between the lock and accessory positions. I also ran a trailer harness from the front of the Jeep to a second set of taillights I installed in the Jeep taillight housings and a hot 12V wire from the truck to keep the Jeep battery charged.

That said, I think a '73-'91 Suburban might be somewhat "weak' depending on its drivetrain and if it's a 1/2 or 3/4 ton. As you know, your towed vehicle with an automatic will require different treatment. If I recall correctly, some vehicles with automatics can be flat towed with the driveshaft connected. However, this usually requires stopping occasionally to run the engine for a while to circulate the trans fluid. As mentioned in posts above, you'll need to discuss that with a Ford expert.

If you tow any distance you should/need to buy a quality tow bar and an auxiliary brake for the towed vehicle. I use these:
https://www.campingworld.com/stowmas...ets%2Ftow-bars
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Buddy...75.c100623.m-1
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2021, 09:27 AM   #14
Keith Seymore

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
I tow it with a 2008 Duramax 2500, steering if set up and aligned properly with correct caster is not an issue in a forward moving motion as long as your steering wheel is not locked, it will follow the tow vehicle.....
Every so often I would hit sand or loose material during a turn and the wheels would kick in the wrong direction. I'd have to hop out and manually straighten them before proceeding.

Also - if you put some ballast (or supplies) in the back of the towed vehicle it drops the rear end down some, also increasing the caster and improving the towing.

We used to tow the GTO with the toolbox and slicks in the trunk for that reason.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:19 PM   #15
TwoFiftyShifter

Dad and I used to tow disabled cars home with a nylon strap. Not reccomended.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:28 PM   #16
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFiftyShifter View Post
Dad and I used to tow disabled cars home with a nylon strap. Not reccomended.
By himself?
Old 01-20-2021, 05:31 PM   #17
LS short box

Also keep in mind you won't have any brake assist from the towed vehicle. 3/4 ton tow vehicle would be best due to having bigger brakes than a 1/2 ton.
Once you get your rigs setup I would go out and do some practice stops at various speeds to get a feel for the increased stopping distances.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:23 AM   #18
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Also keep in mind you won't have any brake assist from the towed vehicle. 3/4 ton tow vehicle would be best due to having bigger brakes than a 1/2 ton.
Once you get your rigs setup I would go out and do some practice stops at various speeds to get a feel for the increased stopping distances.
I think all states have a law requiring trailer brakes for trailers which exceed a stated weight. The weights vary by state. A vehicle in tow is considered a trailer and therefore requires active brakes when in tow if it exceeds the state determined weight. That's why, in addition to added safety, I use the auxiliary brake device I mentioned in post 13.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:24 AM   #19
TwoFiftyShifter

Quote:
By himself?
Nah. Need two drivers.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:12 AM   #20
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Flat towing

This reminds me of going and get a 56 chevy truck out of a friends back yard up in North Wilkesboro NC one day with my mom & dad.

A good friend of our families gave my dad a old state bed 56 truck. It had been sitting in the back of their Chevy dealership for about a year. Dad,mom and I drove up in dad company truck to pull it home about 1.5 hrs away. Dad had a brand new 1/2 ton 4 wheel drive Chevy. We got their and he had already had the dealer check it out that past week for breaks and such. We , as in dad hooked it up to the truck with a chain and told me not to get over 45MPH if he need to stop me he would hit his brakes to tug on the truck and my mom could be watching him for a sign also.
Well we took off and man you should have seen the faces my dad was making while we where driving! It was ok until we started down the MT and the 56 was smokin the back tires and as dad tried to slow me down I'd give it more gas. He said keep it around 45 MPH so I was doing my best to!
We got down to flat ground and he stared waving his hand to pull over. I went a few miles to a gas station. He got out of that truck and I thought he was gonna kill me! He was pissed. Started hollaring at me like I was crazy. I told him I never got over 45MPH and he stopped and said what! I said I never got over 45MPH and he was your lying, mom said nope he isn't and he said dang it felt like you where doing 100MPH coming down that MT. Well he didn't say nothing else and we made it home but he had to replace all the brakes on the truck. We laugh about it now sometimes when we are talking but he was scared that day for sure!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:41 PM   #21
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I'd say it depends on how far and how fast.

this is it. i towed my 56 about 3 miles from the shop to my house and after every big turn had to straighten the steering out. there wasnt enough front end weight or enough caster to self-center the wheels

if you are looking for reasons not to buy a trailer, well, people often meet their destiny on the road they take to avoid it. (thats from kung fu panda). I used my trailer more this year than any prior, and having it for immobile or otherwise inert purchases has been great.

I didnt want to hook it up and load the 56 for a 3 mile trip though, so a tow bar made sense.
Attached Images

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:09 AM   #22
Bigdav160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
some of the new transfer cases don't like to be towed. You need to look up Fords recommended tow procedures for that unit.
This is the correct answer

Actually many of the newer transfer cases have output shaft driven lubrication pumps so they can be safely flat towed. No output shaft pump or oil slinger there will be shafts and gears spinning without the benefits of splash lubrication. Auto/manual transmission doesn't matter when the transfer case is in neutral
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:53 AM   #23
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
This is the correct answer

Actually many of the newer transfer cases have output shaft driven lubrication pumps so they can be safely flat towed. No output shaft pump or oil slinger there will be shafts and gears spinning without the benefits of splash lubrication. Auto/manual transmission doesn't matter when the transfer case is in neutral
Thanks for the info.....

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote