The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #26
kwmech

Re: Anyone else think fully automated cars are a bad idea?

I think a lot of people are shying away from the "new technology" anyways. I'm getting more and more people trying to buy my trucks. Plus if somebody has even a square body truck up for sale, the morons are bidding up the price (just like the housing market) if they show up at the same time. Say you purchase a decent 79 truck for say 5k and put another 10-12k into it. You have nearly a brand new truck without all the crap that is going to fail. I had somebody about 2 months ago in the hardware store parking lot that would not let up on me when I told him my truck was not for sale. I finally asked him if I was going to have to get violent with him, pushy bastard.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:03 PM   #27
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
I had somebody about 2 months ago in the hardware store parking lot that would not let up on me when I told him my truck was not for sale. I finally asked him if I was going to have to get violent with him, pushy bastard.
I get that all the time. I usually just throw a stupid high price at them.

If they want to pay a ridiculous price, I'll sell it, and buy a nicer one with their money.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #28
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by JON67 View Post
Most data shows that eliminating the human factor from driving will both improve traffic flow, and drastically reduce collision fatalities. Unforseen emergencies aside, most accidents happen because of bad human driving. computers will eliminate this. computers are predictable. humans aren't. Insurance rates should also plummet.

They are estimating that by 2030 all cargo will be distributed by driverless trucks. I think the driverless car debate is moot though. my belief is in the future most people will opt to use a car service like Uber, eliminating the need for a car, license, insurance any all the other expenses needed. at least in more urban areas.

I am already starting to see this with my kids' generation. my son is 18 and expressed zero interest in driving. and even now, anytime I bring up him getting a car. he gets super anxious thinking about the expense. He says it is not worth it to him.
For some reason, this thread popped in my head this morning and for almost the whole ride to work, I thought about the + and - affects it can/will have.

Whether we like it or not, accidents will be greatly reduced. Drunk driving alone is one of the nation's biggest automotive killers... now you can get as drunk as you want, just stammer the word "home" and your car will take you there while you pass out. The other biggie? Distracted driving. Take away all the idiots we ***** about and take them out of the equation and we all make to our work/home safely.

That said, there will be accidents, and there will be deaths. Can't be prevented, but it will likely be more like the airlines... they won't happen often, but when they do, they'll be bad, might involve a lot of people, and will probably make the news. +/-35,000 people die in auto accidents each year, what if that number is reduced by 2/3? Would we consider these cars "safe" or will we still call them "unsafe" even though deaths would be reduced? *I'm assuming all cars are autodrive, infrastructure is in place, and has been "working" for a few years.

What about hackers? What if someone hacked into "the system" and took over cars to use them to kill pedestrians (like we've recently seen with terrorists)? Or to cause huge pileups/deaths, or sent cars speeding over cliffs or bridges for their own enjoyment?

What would this do to our economy?

I can't imagine that many jobs would be "added." The cars would be just like we have now, maybe a few more tech and infrastructure jobs, but what about after that? Also, we may find that new car sales could have a serious drop as I'm assuming there would be a significant drop in accidents, which will drop the number of totaled cars... so no need to buy new cars if they're not getting totaled?

Negative impacts? Obviously, truck drivers. The transport industry in the US employs almost 9 million people, with +/-3.5 million being actual drivers. If trucks are automated, where are those jobs going to go?

Lets say accidents are reduced by 2/3, or even less... much fewer new cars will be sold (from cars not getting wrecked) body shops will go out of business with no work to do, parts suppliers... etc.

That leads to the next issue, if it's mandatory to own an autocar... it will also be likely it can't be modified, or modified much... this could kill the aftermarket industry, which I believe currently makes up billions? in sales overall. That's sales people, suppliers, etc...

Will old cars be "illegal"? That could also kill an entire industry that employs a ****load of people. Restoration shops, parts houses and suppliers...

For new cars, if they're all "autodrive" why do we need a "choice"? Will there be one standard car, truck, SUV? We literally have hundreds of cars to choose from now, but if you can't drive it... just ride in it, what does it matter what it is??? Will this put all but a couple of mfgs out of business? Will they all merge to make a "people's car" - Yea, I went there...

Also, if all cars drive the same, we all know "that guy" that shifts from R to D while still rolling backwards, brakes or accelerates too hard... all the time... with the computer telling the car how to run, it's also a correct assumption that cars would need fewer repairs (assuming the autodrive systems function as designed)?

The economic ripple affect could potentially be devastating for the US, but no one has addressed that aspect?

We've all seen the negative impact just a slow year from the auto mfgs can cause...

Will something else take over?

Does anyone else ever think of this crap?
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 05-22-2017 at 04:20 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:37 PM   #29
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post

Does anyone else ever think of this crap?
Nope

Not enough time on my hands to worry about crap I have no control over.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #30
WyattTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Nope

Not enough time on my hands to worry about crap I have no control over.
You as an individual have no control, but if enough of us band together, we can make a difference. This is most likely going to be a serious matter, we cant just stick our heads in the sand, and let oursleves get pushed around.
WyattTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #31
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattTX View Post
You as an individual have no control, but if enough of us band together, we can make a difference. This is most likely going to be a serious matter, we cant just stick our heads in the sand, and let oursleves get pushed around.

Good luck with stopping progress.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:46 PM   #32
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I don't see how they could make it mandatory.

You're going to tell poor people that they HAVE to buy a new car? How? if you have no money.

And junk their priceless classic.

I just don't see how that would fly. And I live in California where nothing makes sense.

As far as drinking and driving. No one likes to go to the bar and pound a few, more than me, but I already have an automated ride home. It's called a taxi....or an angry wife.

I prefer the taxi. They don't yell at me.

I just drove 200 miles yesterday, and what struck me was just the sheer stupidity of some of the other people on the road. Passing on blind curves.

Idiots like that are just ammunition for the Automated car jerks that want to shove everything down your throat.

As for me, I'm not riding down the interstate in some roller coaster that I have no control over.

I know how to drive, I've been doing it a long time.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:38 PM   #33
67ChevyRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I don't see how they could make it mandatory.
People said the exact same thing about health care...

Quote:
You're going to tell poor people that they HAVE to buy a new car? How? if you have no money.
That's easy, the same way they get free food, rent, and cell phones, it's heavily subsidized and you and I pay for it.

Quote:

As far as drinking and driving. No one likes to go to the bar and pound a few, more than me, but I already have an automated ride home. It's called a taxi....or an angry wife.

I prefer the taxi. They don't yell at me.
Unfortunately, statistics show that most people aren't as intelligent as you or I

Quote:
I just drove 200 miles yesterday, and what struck me was just the sheer stupidity of some of the other people on the road. Passing on blind curves.

Idiots like that are just ammunition for the Automated car jerks that want to shove everything down your throat.
Completely agree.

Quote:

As for me, I'm not riding down the interstate in some roller coaster that I have no control over.

I know how to drive, I've been doing it a long time.
Me either, it's what I love to do. I would literally lose part of my identity if my toys were taken away.

My post was just my random thoughts, I'm completely against it. I converted my Mustang to a 5 speed because I thought the auto was too boring for a "fun" car.
Project "On a Dime"

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 05-22-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:43 PM   #34
davischevy

Bad idea; Yes

Inevitable; Probably

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #35
67ChevyRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattTX View Post
I completely agree.

Organizations like the NHRA and SEMA have fought proposed legislation (especially from the great state of California ) that would eliminate or greatly limit the use/ownership of vehicles prior to 1980. That's been quite a while, if it comes back up, I'm sure they'd love to bump it to 1990+ If we all didn't support these organizations, removing "old cars" from our roads would have likely happened long ago.
Project "On a Dime"

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 05-22-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:24 PM   #36
Damien

I'm pretty sure the start of autonomous cars can be linked to the automatic transmission and there have been a series of advancements that have taken the skill out of driving since then including cruise control and and ABS. Riding in a vehicle that does not have functioning ABS on icy roads and the driver does not know to pump the brakes is one of the scariest experiences I have had in the last few years. One could even argue electronic fuel injection has taken skill out of driving. Most people would have trouble starting an engine with a carb because they don't know to pump the throttle or let the engine warm up for a couple minutes.

I think we (humans) are devolving to the point autonomous cars may make the roads safer for the rest of us, not to mention less frustrating. It would eliminate the Prius driving 10 mph under the speed limit in he left lane or the jerk that can't leave their phone alone.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #37
special-K
Special Order

I have been driving longer than a computer. And, I have the capacity to reason, assess, and react on a split second. Things don't always turn out as planned and I am equipped to deal with that... whatever it is

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:15 AM   #38
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I have been driving longer than a computer.
Yeah, and if the computer crashes, so do you.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:24 AM   #39
special-K
Special Order

Computers crash??? Oh no, butter tell the IT people so they can be aware of this!

Does someone actually consider this progress? Progress of what, technology for the sake of progressing technology? It certainly is quite the opposite for the human race. It would certainly be one more drop in the bucket of human degeneration.

No matter if one agrees with that or not. The fact is, so called progress can absolutely be stopped. Happens all the time. In America it started with a thing called The American Revolution. Now we do it in legislature and courtrooms. It's called fighting for our rights.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #40
Coley

They are coming but I'm pretty sure there will always be two tiers to this challenge.
There will be spaces or lanes or throughways specifically for the self-driving option....and there will be 'regular' lanes for manual driving.
Any attempt to completely change over to self-driving would never work and never fly...there are far too many opponents and other interests involved....not the least of which would be the consortium of Auto Body Shops coast to coast.
Seriously....there will probably be two tiers.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #41
WyattTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
They are coming but I'm pretty sure there will always be two tiers to this challenge.
There will be spaces or lanes or throughways specifically for the self-driving option....and there will be 'regular' lanes for manual driving.
Any attempt to completely change over to self-driving would never work and never fly...there are far too many opponents and other interests involved....not the least of which would be the consortium of Auto Body Shops coast to coast.
Seriously....there will probably be two tiers.

Coley
That is the idea I thought of, since much of thr current infrastructure, would be brutal to self driving cars. A human can dodge a pothole. A sensor can break, or have a delayed resonse causing the car to bottom out, it the hole is deep enough.
It is no fun to drive on crappy roads, with traditional cars, but at least you have the option to around obstacles, where the automated car may refuse to leave the current lane or simply not sense the hole.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:13 PM   #42
Front Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by shp4man View Post
They'll get my truck when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
That's what bolt cutters are for.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:33 PM   #43
davischevy

As new generations come, automation come with them.

We had one gas powered, carbureted C75 still in operation till a couple years ago. We hauled trash, brush etc. with it.

A young guy was driving it one day near the shop. My wife came in and said "what's the matter with that old truck, it was popping and backfiring and blowing smoke".

Turns out he had the choke closed, not knowing how it worked.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:12 PM   #44
WyattTX

Fewer people can even operate a manual transmission, in fact I have heard the government is going to try to buy only automatic transmissions for our troops, because it is too expensive to train them to use a manual. The m1008 pickup, and current HMMWVs are autos.

Last edited by WyattTX; 05-23-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:45 AM   #45
Orange67

I agree it will be separate tiers or lanes.

I taught my wife and kids, nieces, and kids friends how to drive stick before I let them drive autos just so they'd know how. Funny thing? They all prefer manual trans, its more fun.

Anybody see the movie Logan? There is a scene on a highway where an automated big rig changes lanes and forces Logan's truck off the road and causes an accident. None of the rigs slowed or tried to avoid anything in their way....

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:06 AM   #46
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Separate lanes would be a disaster in So.Cal. The freeway's are already clogged up like a fat guy that ate too much cheese.

Take away another lane and it's going to get even worse.

I've already seen it with the bike lanes. They back up traffic, and you rarely ever see a bike in them.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:56 PM   #47
bhayes1

Whether you are for it or against it, in my opinion, you can't outweigh the benefits it would provide to the negatives that might come with it.

Every time I get in a vehicle and look at the people next to me driving down the freeways and think to myself... wow I am basically trusting my life to this stranger who doesn't care a lick about me. They are in a 70MPH bomb and one little mistake and it's all over. Believe me, there are a ton of drivers out there who are more concerned with their social media updates than your life and that is not changing no matter how many distracted driving tickets get handed out.

If your autoCAD crashes daily, you might want to update your system. I use it 5-6 days a week all day and rarely have an issue with it. The bozo driving next to you is much more likely to crash than your computer (no stats needed for that).

Besides all the other good points brought up: drunk driving, road rage, etc.

When the technology advances enough to make it feasible, this will be a good thing no doubt. However, as with most of you, the government wont get my old pick up without a fight.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #48
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

The only automation I need in a truck is for the turn signals to cancel when you complete the turn. That's all I need.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote