The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
AirSpeed

Funky clunk sound driving me absolutely insane!

Been hearing a clunk sound on the passenger side of my 72 K1500. Jacked it up and found the ball joints were bad, just got done replacing them, went for a test drive and the clunk sound is still there! Had a friend with me and he can feel it on the floor board board on the passenger side. This happens mostly as I go around a corner. Checked all the tie rod ends, body mounts, recently installed new urethane bushings in the leaf springs, I can't find any source for this sound.
I did notice the front spring perch on drivers side moves a little when I turn the steering wheel, seems two of the rivets are worn, I can wiggle them with my fingers. I'm curious what I can do to fix that? Can I weld the rivets in? I doubt seriously it's the source of noise on the passenger side but I need to fix it anyway.
I am completely out of ideas as to the source of that damn clunk on the passenger side! Any ideas?
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: Funky clunk sound driving me absolutely insane!

Aaron how about shock mounts, cab and radiator support mounts, bumper bolts to frame? It is normal for the leaf spring mounts to move a little bit when turning. Possible cracks in the frame through the steering sector bolt holes?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:58 PM   #3
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Aaron how about shock mounts, cab and radiator support mounts, bumper bolts to frame? It is normal for the leaf spring mounts to move a little bit when turning. Possible cracks in the frame through the steering sector bolt holes?
I checked pretty good, checked every nut and bolt, cab mounts are in good shape. Took a hammer under there and tapped on everything, even checked the u bolts on the axel. The core support, radiator and mounts are all new but the sound was there before they were replaced. Im thinking of mounting a camera under there and run it to my stereo display and see if I can see anything move as I drive. It actually make two distinct sounds about a second apart as I go around a corner, when I found the upper and lower ball joints were worn out I thought for sure it was the source of the sounds, unfortunately as I said it's still there after I replaced them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
hamjet

If you have disc brakes check the grommets that go on the bolts that hold the calipers to the caliper frame. when they wear out they make a terrible noise like the front end is falling off.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:11 PM   #5
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjet View Post
If you have disc brakes check the grommets that go on the bolts that hold the calipers to the caliper frame. when they wear out they make a terrible noise like the front end is falling off.
Ironically I just replaced the front brakes with new calipers a couple days ago.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2017, 05:15 PM   #6
Boog
laying low

It only takes a minute amount of movement for heavy metal to make a strong noise transferred through the vehicle. Engine mounts, crossmembers are suspect.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #7
Boog
laying low

Good point Joe. I have had calipers that didn't fit snug in the bracket and made a hard bump/clunk noise. The bracket may be worn instead of the caliper.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #8
slomotion
Old Duffer

My vote goes to the right engine mount...........

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:29 PM   #9
kwmech

upper shock mount bolt loose
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:58 PM   #10
67 chevelle

first guess control arm bushings
second guess ball joints
third sway bar bushings - if it has one

you can weld the perch , crossmember or trany mont may be lose also
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:25 PM   #11
AirSpeed

Thanks all, I'll crawl around under that sucker tomorrow with a few extra ideas. I did notice a little while ago my right exhaust manifold is only about 1/4" from the frame while the left is about 5/8" above the frame. Motor mounts are new so I'm going loosen them up and see how much I can twist the engine to even it out. I can't tell if it's hitting the frame but it's close enough to be suspect.
Thanks for the ideas, I'll double check it all tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #12
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 chevelle View Post
first guess control arm bushings
second guess ball joints
third sway bar bushings -
It's a 4wd
Old 04-22-2017, 09:52 PM   #13
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
Been hearing a clunk sound on the passenger side of my 72 K1500. Jacked it up and found the ball joints were bad, just got done replacing them, went for a test drive and the clunk sound is still there! Had a friend with me and he can feel it on the floor board board on the passenger side. This happens mostly as I go around a corner. Checked all the tie rod ends, body mounts, recently installed new urethane bushings in the leaf springs, I can't find any source for this sound.
I did notice the front spring perch on drivers side moves a little when I turn the steering wheel, seems two of the rivets are worn, I can wiggle them with my fingers. I'm curious what I can do to fix that? Can I weld the rivets in? I doubt seriously it's the source of noise on the passenger side but I need to fix it anyway.
I am completely out of ideas as to the source of that damn clunk on the passenger side! Any ideas?
if the spring hangers are loose it could cause your noise, cut off the rivets, drive them out and install grade 8 bolts ...
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:17 PM   #14
Seanext

If it still has the transfer case bracket that mounts to the frame the bushings could be worn out making the noise.
Seanext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:07 AM   #15
Daves70

My vote is a cracked frame behind the steering box. Hope I'm wrong. Good luck.
Daves70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:17 PM   #16
garyd1961

I had the same problem. Mine turned out to the exhaust pipe hitting where it goes under the back of the cab.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:41 PM   #17
outfield

You said that you replaced the spring bushings, did you also replace the shackle bushing in the frame?
outfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:03 PM   #18
outfield

You said that you replaced the spring bushings, did you also replace the shackle bushing in the frame?
outfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #19
Jayman931

I'm not saying this happened to me but I heard about a certain circumstance where every so often someone heard a metal on metal sound when ever bumps were hit. Said person casually looked all around the suspension...motor....motor mounts. Might have went on for a few days....Then one day the driver dropped his keys on the floor board and reached down to grab them and hit something.... It turned out there was a 4-way lugnut wrench under the seat that would act like a teeder-todder hitting the metal floor board. I know its a slim chance....but wouldn't hurt as its fast.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:31 PM   #20
El Dorado Jim

any update on this?
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:57 AM   #21
kansasc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman931 View Post
I'm not saying this happened to me but I heard about a certain circumstance where every so often someone heard a metal on metal sound when ever bumps were hit. Said person casually looked all around the suspension...motor....motor mounts. Might have went on for a few days....Then one day the driver dropped his keys on the floor board and reached down to grab them and hit something.... It turned out there was a 4-way lugnut wrench under the seat that would act like a teeder-todder hitting the metal floor board. I know its a slim chance....but wouldn't hurt as its fast.
I may know this guy who had a similiar noise he tried to find for days on end. Sounded like it was coming out of the middle of the dash but could never find the problem. Then one day I was driving into the sun coming home from work (I mean...this guy I know was driving) and when pulling down the visor, realized it wasnt latched in the bracket and the bar at the end of the visor was rattling against the visor bracket the whole time.
kansasc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:11 AM   #22
AirSpeed

I've spent more than 6 hours under, inside and out of my truck and I still can't find the source of this noise. No cracked frame, nothing hitting anywhere. I thought it could be the passenger side exhaust manifold hitting the frame but was able to twist the engine and get plenty of clearance and I still have this noise! I've checked all the motor and trans mounts, they're all good, body mounts, bushings, every bolt inside and out, under and over, everything is tight. I'm starting to become very angry so I'm going to ignore it for a couple days! Maybe get a second set of eyes to look, someone else looking might see something I missed, have to be missing something!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2017, 09:16 AM   #23
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfield View Post
I replaced the bushings at the rear of the springs, upper and lower with urethane but haven't done the front, they still have the rubber bushings I replaced a couple years ago and are in good condition, I have urethane bushings for the front but the weather has prevented me from getting to them, the ones in the front are solid though. I feel like I'm going to find the source one day, probably feel like an idiot when I find it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2017, 11:20 AM   #24
kwmech

If you grab the front bumper on the pass side and push it up and down can you hear the noise?
Then bounce the suspension by pushing on the fender
Old 04-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #25
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
If you grab the front bumper on the pass side and push it up and down can you hear the noise?
Then bounce the suspension by pushing on the fender
Bumper is solid, checked the bolts, all tight. I can't get it to make any noise bouncing it, had a friend bounce it up and down while I crawled around all over, couldn't find anything. Only happens when I drive. I cringe every time I hear it!
Posted via Mobile Device