The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2017, 02:34 AM   #1
'68OrangeSunshine

Stuck Window Regulator

The Drivers side Window Regulator on my '71 GMC Jimmy is stuck at about 1 inch up. Won't roll up. Won't roll down.
And, as I recall, you can't disassemble it with out the window being cranked all the way up.
For now, overnight, I have a sheet of foamcore show card, ~5/16'' thick, cut out from tracing the other window, wedged and taped on, to keep out small critters, dust, wind and light rain. [Two legged critters I'll just have to shoot.]
Gears on the crank drive sound/feel like they're stripped. Handle rotates thru 30 -45* between contact. Window will go up 1/4'' or down 1/4'' but otherwise stuck.
I replaced this regulator 11 years ago, but the K/5 doors have no upper frame to protect them like on my C/10, so the insides get wet and this rusts.
Can't run the truck into town, since I can't lock it up.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:01 AM   #2
jessemthompson

Re: Stuck Window Regulator

The first thing I would do is pull the door panel and hit the regulator with some on blaster or wd40 to see if that loosens things up. If it's stripped though, it may be a lost cause. Luckily regulators are pretty inexpensive.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemthompson View Post
The first thing I would do is pull the door panel and hit the regulator with some on blaster or wd40 to see if that loosens things up. If it's stripped though, it may be a lost cause. Luckily regulators are pretty inexpensive.
Less an NOS anyway, $200 if you can find one....
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemthompson View Post
Did that already. No joy.
To add to the mess, when I replaced this regulator in 2006, I was talked into glueing the window onto the carrier, instead of the traditional method of thin rubber sheet dipped in 30 wt. If it had been stuck on the old way, the window glass would come off easily, and I could deal with the broken regulator assembly.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #5
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Less an NOS anyway, $200 if you can find one....
NOS would be nice, and I bet if I'd put in a GM OEM parts regulator in 2006, we wouldn't be having this discussion now. The ''Real'' ones lasted forever.
But it is what it is. And since it's not a showtruck, another import will be the replacement. Looks like $40 bucks now for a repop regulator from Brothers.
I think I paid around $30 for this piece of junk from Grumpy's off I-19, 11 years ago.